Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

1987 Civic Si starting woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Civic Si starting woes

Alrighty, so here I am joining the forum to ask some questions that have likely been asked a million times.

I've searched and searched and don't seem to be getting the answer that solves my issue.

So, I bought an '87 civic si with 190K miles on it in January. It's rust-free, the interior is mint and tear-free and otherwise in immaculate condition. Since then, I have replaced the following:
spark plugs
plug wires
distributor cap and rotor
Ignition coil on fire-wall in engine bay
Radiator/radiator cap
Exhaust(Oem Bosal unit was installed)
Battery
Air filter

I replaced the cap/rotor because the car was beginning to cut-out and lose power, especially when it was raining/damp out. I was unable to replace the distributor cap gasket with a new gasket because they are not available. Instead I used the liquid gasket stuff and it worked great for a long time.

This brings us to yesterday. I recently moved and had packed the car this past weekend and drove it from Philly to Mechanicsburg with a load of stuff from my apartment. It drove here just fine/worked perfectly as usual. Last night I went to move the car and it would simply not crank. It has full battery power(Confirmed with a new battery today and trying to jump the car last night). All the lights on the dash come on fine, radio works fine, lights work fine, again, a new battery was just installed. The PGM-FI light turns on for 2 seconds and turns off signalling the ECU has primed the fuel pump(confirmed that the fuel pump does operate normal). All fuses are fine and intact. Connections for grounds/etc look good.

However, when you go to start the car and turn the key to "run", all the dash lights come on normally, the PGM-FI light comes on for 2 seconds and turns off normally, but upon cranking or actually attempting to start the car, all the lights on the dash turn off(sort of like with a dead-battery, but like I said it's brand new as of 4pm EST today) and the car does nothing (no crank/engine turn-over) just the clicking of the fuel injectors/spark plugs.

The car has been parked in front of my parent's house, which has automatic sprinklers and the car has been getting water sprayed on it by the sprinkler system at night. Could it just be my distributor needs re-sealed? Isn't there something you can spray the distributor with to "dry it" or get rid of the moisture inside of the cap without actually removing it?

Am I missing something? I'm moving to Colorado in a few weeks and would really like to diagnose this before I store her for the winter.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

-Chris
Old 10-16-2012, 01:42 PM
On vacation

Default Re: 1987 Civic Si starting woes

Distributor has nothing to do with whether or not the motor cranks.

Maybe the main relay?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by testify
Distributor has nothing to do with whether or not the motor cranks.

Maybe the main relay?
I was looking for that earlier today behind the coin holder on the left-side of the dash next to the fuse panel but could not find it.

Any idea where that is on the 87 Si?

*edit* found the main relay tucked way the F up in the corner behind the fuse box.

If I hear my fuel pump/the PGM-FI light goes off after 2 seconds, it's not likely going to be the main relay, correct?

Why, with a new battery, would it act as if it had no battery power upon cranking? I.e. all lights on dash turn off/starter doesn't even turn over. It basically just shuts the car off? Anyone ever have this problem before?

Last edited by soloIIguru; 10-16-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 PM
On vacation

I think the lights on the dash would normally turn off while the starter cranks, and then they come back on once the motor fires. I had an '84 hatch and it did this.

Have you tested the starter?

edit: and nice screen name, where do you run?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by testify
I think the lights on the dash would normally turn off while the starter cranks, and then they come back on once the motor fires. I had an '84 hatch and it did this.

Have you tested the starter?

edit: and nice screen name, where do you run?

I have not tested the starter, yet. I did try hitting it with a hammer and cranking and got nothing.

Any way I can test it without a voltage meter? I think I only have a test light. Would that work? If so, how would I check it? Connect the ground to the battery and touch the test light to the signal wire for the solenoid? Sorry for the newb questions, haven't really ever had to troubleshoot a no-start like this before.

I run with PhillySCCA in my 2008 STi:

when I won BS class in 2011
and the most recent setup for STU:
Old 10-16-2012, 04:50 PM
On vacation

They are so easy to pull out on these cars, I'd just unbolt it and bench test it by putting some power to it.

Nice STI!

I haven't run in Philly yet, but started running some events at NNJR this year. I'm not far, just over in southwest CT, I'll get out there to the Philly region next year for sure.

Here's a pic of my Road Tire beast and a NASCAR smashing mile monster ;-)

Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you tried push starting it with the key on?
Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any update? Did you yank the starter or attempt a bump start? Just wondering what might have been causing it, for my future reference.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheDoughboy
Any update? Did you yank the starter or attempt a bump start? Just wondering what might have been causing it, for my future reference.
Sorry for the delay in replying to this, was away from home for the weekend.

Took the starter out and got it tested at Advanced Auto Parts. Its' amperage draw was too high and failed the test. Got a new one on Friday, installed it and she starts like a champ now.

Nice WRX! Was that taken at Dover Nationals? Most of the pics I posted were from Dover two years ago.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good you got it fixed. my suggestion was to check your grounds to the motor.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 PM
On vacation

Originally Posted by soloIIguru
Sorry for the delay in replying to this, was away from home for the weekend.

Took the starter out and got it tested at Advanced Auto Parts. Its' amperage draw was too high and failed the test. Got a new one on Friday, installed it and she starts like a champ now.

Nice WRX! Was that taken at Dover Nationals? Most of the pics I posted were from Dover two years ago.
It was taken at the Evolution Super Shootout this year. Evolution Super Shootout is a new series, that doesn't have 100% SCCA backing yet. It is entirely PAX based and instead of contingencies, there are cash prizes! No, I didn't win any money :-(