FRM Sleeves Explained - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

FRM Sleeves Explained

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
Syndacate's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York -> Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 10,445
Default FRM Sleeves Explained

As per the origin of this information:
K Powered EJ1 ripped it (copy/pasted) from some site online who's URL I can't recall at the moment, when he had his hissy fit and left H-T, he wanted to go to his butt buddy's forum he wanted to "take his threads with him" - though in accordance with the H-T license agreement he agreed to when he clicked "I accept the terms" when he signed up for H-T - information he posted is publicized and becomes the property of Honda-Tech.

Onto FRM sleeves (BTW I fixed all his 3rd grade spelling errors and weak sentence structures).

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

FRM stands for Fiber Reinforced Metal. This basically means that the sleeve is not full ductile iron like the previous stronger sleeves of the Honda engine world.

This technology was introduced in 1988 with the introduction of the B21A1, which was included in the Prelude Si (JDM/EDM only).

FRM sleeves consist of a carbon fiber matrix, aluminum alloy, and aluminum oxide.

It is rumored that any type of power adder or forged piston in a engine used with the FRM sleeve will need to be re-sleeved, 95 percent of the people who have built an h22 with cracked sleeves will agree, the other 5 percent have never built a motor strong enough to crack the sleeve.

The following engines were created using FRM sleeves:

FRM sleeves are also referred to as MMA in metalogy, but MMA is simply a blanket term for the MMA sleeves Yamaha used in their engine sold to Toyota.

Toyota motors powering the Lotus Elise, Lotus Exige, Toyota Celica GTS, Toyota Matrix etc. have FRM sleeves, but have a different composition sleeve than Honda's FRM sleeves.
Syndacate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Honda-Tech Member
THC07's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nor Cal, HillSide
Posts: 2,500
Default Re: FRM Sleeves Explained (Syndacate)

thought it was fiber reinforced material. regardless, im one of the 5% i did not sleeve the block, should have, but didnt. 2yrs on type s pistions high high comp. smokes a bit over 6k rev. id like to see more information about this with all its myths.
THC07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Honda-Tech Member
hatche1's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 230
Default Re: FRM Sleeves Explained

wheres all the post on these motors at?
hatche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Honda-Tech Member
HondaKyle's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago land
Posts: 6,577
Default Re: FRM Sleeves Explained

The F22 has FRM also...
HondaKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Honda-Tech Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 90
Default Re: FRM Sleeves Explained

Originally Posted by HondaKyle View Post
The F22 has FRM also...
F22c. The A and B do not... Of course they are also single cammers and therefore unimportant. On second thought, forget I said anything...
horsepowerless is offline   Reply With Quote

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone in IL Hone H22A FRM blocks? pcguy760 Hybrid / Engine Swaps 17 01-23-2012 05:19 AM
frm liner and boost soxle Forced Induction 14 05-15-2011 10:44 AM
Micro polishing FRM sleeves to accept forged pistons? rash Forced Induction 19 06-29-2010 07:10 AM
H22: FRM vs. iron sleeves Lil Krayzee All Motor / Naturally Aspirated 1 08-18-2007 08:23 AM
Another FRM question The_Head Honda Prelude 17 01-22-2005 09:53 AM

c32b, engine, frm, h22, h22a, honda, metal, motor, s2000, s2k, sale, sleeve, sleeves, sleeving, sleevs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:29 AM.

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites.