Notices
AWD Conversion Forum This forum is to help with the recent advent of new AWD conversions. Got a question? Ask it here. Got an answer? Drop the knowledge here

K-AWD CRX - Info Gathering Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 08:27 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default K-AWD CRX - Info Gathering Thread

Did some looking around and so far, I have not seen any complete K series CRX AWD builds. Ultimate goal would be a turbo K24, either stock for 400-500whp or built motor for 600-700whp, although at those levels I imagine a dog box would be needed which might make this whole thing even more financially infeasible.

Here is what info I have gathered so far as for everything that will be needed for the build. I am not saying 100% that I intend on doing this myself, but I am piecing together in my mind what it would take and may start picking up some of the parts as I go. But honestly it would be years before I could put this all together, just wanting to throw some ideas around and see where specific challenges on the CRX might lie.

It appears to me that all of the pieces necessary to complete this build are already available. We have mostly bolt-in K swap kits for the CRX/EF, we now have components available to install the rear diff, trailing arms, axles, etc. for the CRX/EF with some minor fabrication.

1.) Engine - K24A2 from a TSX. Should be plenty of these available.
2.) Transmission - 5 speed AWD from a ~2004 CRV or Element. Possible issue with low gearing? Availability could also be an issue. Found a few online going for around $1200 in unknown condition. Anyone have a good source for these?
3.) Rear diff - same as above
4.) Drive shaft - same from vehicles above but shortened
5.) Rear trailing arms, diff mount, LCA's from Hub City Performance. hubcityperformance.com
Humble Performance recently posted a video of them installing the HCP kit on a Civic. It looks really straightforward.
6.) Rear brakes, hubs, axles etc. CRV stuff will work here? Or a hybrid of different model components. Probs require some trial and error.
7.) Rear sub frame brace - since the rear frame has to be boxed out to fit the diff, adding some bracing here would probably be a priority.
8.) Fuel cell in rear hatch, since OE fuel tank must be removed.
9.) Engine mounts - HASport now offers EF K series kits for the AWD tranny
10.) Clutch conversion - Hush Performance offers a kit
11.) Turbo kit - Go Autoworks? Looked around and did not see any offering for a K series kit in an EF chassis yet, so may have to be custom.

Here is the vid of the Humble Performance rear diff mount install...

Overall, it all seems really simple. So what am I missing? Is there a reason nobody has done this in a CRX yet? Yes it will probably be $10K or more by the time you acquired all of the needed components. But shouldn't be any more complicated than building a B series AWD CRX, which has been done many times. And we've seen plenty of turbo K swapped EF's. The closest thing is probably boostedboiz wago.

Just trying to start a discussion on the possibilities, anything I may be missing. Specific challenges anyone can share from their experiences with AWD builds on this platform.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: K-AWD CRX - Info Gathering Thread

Awd turbo k series in a crx shouldn't be an issue. The typical hood clearance will probably be the only thing that stands out vs a ek or eg. I almost went k series with my crx but I've always really liked b series personally. They are just simple and plentiful. With that being said make sure the chassis is setup right, I almost wrecked my crx yesterday taking a buddy for a ride. After a pull I got on the brakes hard and the *** end lifted off the ground and got real loose. Scared the crap out of me.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:55 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

True. Pretty much every K swapped EF or CRX I've seen has no hood on it. I suppose it would require a huge cutout in the middle. But that is a rather minor detail.

I am wondering if it wouldn't be easier to find a wrecked 2004ish CRV manual and get the entire vehicle as a donor car to swap the drivetrain over. Just not sure if the engine would be a good choice, would probably need to change intake manifolds and a few other things around I would imagine.

Dang, what was the issue that caused your rear end to lift like that? Too much front weight/brake bias? Aero lift in the rear? I've hit the brakes hard-ish from about 150 and never had any issues.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Too much front brake vs rear brake bias, bad rta bushings and probably rear alignment tow out. I'm not driving it again till I do the rear disc, rta bushings and align it. It scared the crap out of me.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

540whp and 430tq broke the **** out of my trans. I'm running the B series set up and I'm sure not loading up the drive train properly on some of my launches didn't help things out. I think the K series stuff is a little stronger, but if you plan on making power in the 600-700whp range then be prepared to make so serious upgrades to the trans and transfer case. $$$$$$$
Old 03-06-2019, 05:36 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
Too much front brake vs rear brake bias, bad rta bushings and probably rear alignment tow out. I'm not driving it again till I do the rear disc, rta bushings and align it. It scared the crap out of me.
Damn, that is some scary sh*t! I know I've felt a little squirrely above 120mph, mostly due to a loose steering rack and that is not a good feeling at all lol

Originally Posted by DarryCar
540whp and 430tq broke the **** out of my trans. I'm running the B series set up and I'm sure not loading up the drive train properly on some of my launches didn't help things out. I think the K series stuff is a little stronger, but if you plan on making power in the 600-700whp range then be prepared to make so serious upgrades to the trans and transfer case. $$$$$$$
Yeah that's kinda what I figured. So what is a safe power level for a stock K series trans, 450whp? I've already broken 2 B series LS trannys at only 400whp,and that is just with FWD. With AWD I would imagine the tranny limit would be even lower due to added grip.

I think I am starting to find the best route to do this is to buy a manual CRV donor vehicle. There are some high mileage ones on CL, found a 1999 B series manual AWD for $2400 and a 2002 K series AWD manual one for $3700. Mileage don't really matter since I would be rebuilding or using a different engine altogether, just need possible tranny or rear diff rebuild.

But seriously, those prices are way lower than what it costs to buy the engine, tranny, and other components from one of these out of the car.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We think alike sir

I have been keeping my eyes out on parts for this for over a year now, would be nice to have a back pocket setup for when the time comes.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, here you go..... It's becoming easier and easier to get your AWD conversion parts these days. Kind of takes the fun out of it though.

https://hubcityperformance.com/produ...mount-package/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/97-01-CRV-R...4AAOSwEOxXPgfb

Still going to need a few more bits and pieces. Getting a donor car is the best way to go, but then you have to figure out what to do with the shell after you have picked it all apart.

And there is always this option...

https://automotiveknd.com/shop/honda...ersion-system/
Old 04-28-2019, 04:37 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

PBE just announced last week they're looking for folks for a group buy on the first round of K-series billet bell housings and transfer cases.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
PBE just announced last week they're looking for folks for a group buy on the first round of K-series billet bell housings and transfer cases.
They just finished up the B-series too and are currently testing it out. Should be getting it soon...
Old 05-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is another.
S1Built | * * * Don't Look For Happiness, Build It. * * *

also this video.