Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

wire horn to honk with alarm.....diagram inside... i searched and tried examples with no luck

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wire horn to honk with alarm.....diagram inside... i searched and tried examples with no luck

car is a 93 hatch.

i have a G5 intelliguard 850 everything is wired correctly, just need to find out how to wire up my horn to honk with the alarm siren. (to honk with a pluse)

i know it has to be wired to the signal lights so it pulses and is not a constant one tone of the horn, but i am completely confused on how to hook up the relay/s

here are the wire diagrams of the alarm wires... just need to know what wires to hook up and how the relay is supposed to look.

thanks for any help anyone can provide...

i know the yellow/white is for the car horn, just not sure how it gets hooked up???

Old 03-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: wire horn to honk with alarm.....diagram inside... i searched and tried examples with no luck (c

I'm not familiar with that alarm, but my old Sidewinder was programmable to use a horn OR a siren.

Check your manual if you haven't already. If this isn't possible, you can use a flasher inline with the + wire from the alarm to the horn. The flasher will control the "pulse".
Old 03-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wire horn to honk with alarm.....diagram inside... i searched and tried examples with no luck (c

yea this one is not programmable. and i know i will need to hook up a flasher to the horn wire to make the signal, the problem is where does it go on the relay , how many relays do i need, etc... and im sure i need a resistor also...

thanks

anyone else....???
Old 03-11-2004, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You shouldn't need either one. A stock horn shouldn't pull too much amperage. Why would you need a resistor?

If you do use a relay, check out http://www.the12volt.com. They have some diagrams. No matter how many times I wire up a relay, I always forget with terminal is which. You'd want to connect the siren+ output from the alarm to the signal term on the relay. The relay would need ground and battery +. The relay output would go to the flasher, then from the flasher to the horn.

Anyway, look at that website and you'll see what I mean.

Old 03-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea ive looked there also,

and ive tried the diagrams they have.. and still dont work??? and on that site they stress using a relay and a diode <<<< sorry i said resistor

i havent posted there yet, but i probably will if i cant get help. here... ill probably try all the diagrams i have again, i just dont want to short out my brain by accident..

thanks
Old 03-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll get you a pinout tomorrow or something. Shouldn't be too bad. A diode couldn't hurt, good point.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know what....I just noticed your horn honk output is negative. I'm thinking your horn probably needs positive. Did you look into that? If so, you'd need a relay to reverse the polarity. You might have been trying that already, I was thinking you wanted a relay to supply more power to the horn
Old 03-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea ive looked there also,

and ive tried the diagrams they have.. and still dont work??? and on that site they stress using a relay and a diode <<<< sorry i said resistor

i havent posted there yet, but i probably will if i cant get help. here... ill probably try all the diagrams i have again, i just dont want to short out my brain by accident..

thanks
Old 03-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i havent tried reversing the + to - . so they may be the problem.

i appciate you getting the pinout for me... when ever you can. its not too important since everything else works.

thanks
Old 03-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so your horn does need negative, so you're good there. Supposed to be blue/red in the steering column. Last time I used a horn instead of a siren, I had a hell of a time finding the right wire because I'm color blind. What you need to do is use alligator clips with a multimeter. Connect one wire to a chassis ground, and the other to the wire in question.

Set the multimeter to read open or short. Honk the horn. If the multimeter reads a short while the horn is honked, you've got the right wire. I think you'll be fine without a relay, but just in case, here's your pinout:

30 = chassis ground
87a = not connected
87 = spliced into honda horn wire
85 = battery (constant +)
86 = alarm horn honk output (-)

Hope this helps...and good luck!
Old 03-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey bro,

ill try this tomorrow.. i had to pick up some headlights.... youknow what you just reminded me what i probably did wrong... i never spliced into the negative horn wire.....

all i did was i hooked up a wire and grounded both the horn wire and that other wire and put that other wire in #87 which means its just a grounded wire and not the horn wire itself...

not exactly sure what the hell i was thinking that was doing????

i guess thats what happens when you install your own alarm system and seeing all those wires your brain starts to make **** happen when stepping back theres no way it can work....: wheres that hammer icon:

thanks for waking me up bro... i will let you know tomorrow , hopefully i will have time.....

i am pretty sure it will work this time..thanks
Old 03-13-2004, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

30 = chassis ground
87a = not connected

didnt work.... i think it needs a trigger to set it off. not sure how that works with the - yellow/white wire on the brain??
Old 03-13-2004, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your horn output is 200mA I would definetly use a relay. Have you located the wire that goes to your horn? More than likely you have one wire going to the horn. This wire is usually +12V to make the horn honk.

30 = +12V
87a = not connected

You might also look to see if the relay you are using has an internal diode between pins 85 & 86 If it does then place the + wire on the side with the bar. Which means the arrow should point to the + wire.

The first thing I would do is measure your horn.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't need a relay. You hook it up to the wire coming from the steering wheel. This wire is a low current wire that only triggers a relay so you can just hook the horn honk output of the alarm to the wire that trigger's the horn relay.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxxtreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your horn output is 200mA I would definetly use a relay. Have you located the wire that goes to your horn? More than likely you have one wire going to the horn. This wire is usually +12V to make the horn honk.

30 = +12V
87a = not connected

You might also look to see if the relay you are using has an internal diode between pins 85 & 86 If it does then place the + wire on the side with the bar. Which means the arrow should point to the + wire.

The first thing I would do is measure your horn.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey thanks

yea when i remove the air bag, there the usual red + and black - wire for the horn, and the horn wire has a clip that goes to the 12v constant. the wire is dark green /red in color, and is 12+ constant.

and yes the relay has an internal diode for #85 #86. the only thing is i cant tell which side has the bar since its not set up with the cylinder type diode that you just solder. and the photo on the side of the relay just shows a line going through the diode diagnally and not on one side.

as far as this:

30 = +12V what goes here??

Old 03-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try these links

here
or here

I couldn't tell if you had an integra or civic but they both appear to be the same.
It says it is - so the person that gave you the info earlier is correct.

I am thinking your relay does not have a diode in it. Usually the cylinder with the line through it represents the coil of the relay. got pictures?If it does have a diode and you have it hooked up wrong you will get a .7 volt drop between 85 and 86 not enough to turn the relay on.

I think I understand what you are trying to do now. If you hook your horn honk wire up does it just honk one long hong? You want it to honk along with your lights correct?

Do you have the rest of the install manual for that alarm? It may be programmable.

Modified by nsxxtreme at 9:01 PM 3/13/2004
Old 03-13-2004, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i will look at those links tonight and compare with my wires..

heres a photo of the relay, and all the ones i have are all the same...i appreciate your time.

Old 03-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and i dont get any horn honk, either pulsed or constant... nothing... and those are the complete wire diagrams from the manual no others...

and i am trying to set it up so when i arm the horn will beep twice, and once when unarmed. and pulsed when the alarm i set off.. so im sure it needs to be pulsed with the lights..

and no way to program the horn honk
Old 03-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have no diode in that relay.

They person that posted this is correct.

30 = chassis ground

I would add a diode between 85 and 86 with the bar on the positive side. This is to prevent voltage spikes caused by charging and discharging the inductor in the relay. This is not your problem though.

Here is something easy for you to try. Connect a wire to ground, now connect it to your horn wire, it should honk if it doesn't you may have the wrong wire chosen for your horn wire. Let me know if you can make this work. If so then we will move on to the next step.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok ill try this out tomorrow , i dont have time to take the air bag off... thanks for the help.. and i think i should buy a 1amp diode correct? of a higher amp better?? and just make sure it has one solid band on one side right?
Old 03-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just about any generic diode will work as long as it is not a zenor. No you don't need anything higher.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just an FYI, the - honda horn trigger controls a relay, not the horn its self. So if you tag the wire in the steering column you should be fine using the 200 mA output of the horn output wire off your alarm brain.

If you want to be on the safe side, hook pin 85 of the relay to your brain's HORN OUT wire, 86 to a constant +12 wire. Connect 30 to a good ground connection on your car, and 87 to your car's HORN wire.

I like to use the factory horn on every alarm I install so it seems like a more factory/integrated system.

EDIT&gt; The easiest way to test your horn wire... take the positive wire for your multi-meter and hook it to a +12 volt wire. Then take your negitive wire and go probing. Find the suspect wire, hook the negitive wire up... should read nothing. when you honk the horn your meter should then jump to +12 or there about. That's your wire.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxxtreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just about any generic diode will work as long as it is not a zenor. No you don't need anything higher.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok ill make sure.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rjr162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just an FYI, the - honda horn trigger controls a relay, not the horn its self. So if you tag the wire in the steering column you should be fine using the 200 mA output of the horn output wire off your alarm brain.

If you want to be on the safe side, hook pin 85 of the relay to your brain's HORN OUT wire, 86 to a constant +12 wire. Connect 30 to a good ground connection on your car, and 87 to your car's HORN wire.

I like to use the factory horn on every alarm I install so it seems like a more factory/integrated system.

EDIT&gt; The easiest way to test your horn wire... take the positive wire for your multi-meter and hook it to a +12 volt wire. Then take your negitive wire and go probing. Find the suspect wire, hook the negitive wire up... should read nothing. when you honk the horn your meter should then jump to +12 or there about. That's your wire.</TD></TR></TABLE>

great ill will note this also,, if things dont work. i know there are different ways of hooking up the relay to bring out the same result, but i will definitely take your advice to hand... and try it aswell thanks
Old 03-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok great both ways of hooking up the relay worked like a charm. i was taping into the wrong the wire.

ok now that we got the horn issue complete thanks to everyone

as far as the diode goes. i have a 1 amp diode with one band on one side.

do i solder this to the #85 & #86 (bar facing #85) to the actual relay prongs?

once again thanks alot for all the help.

Quick Reply: wire horn to honk with alarm.....diagram inside... i searched and tried examples with no luck