Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Will my "ELECTRICAL GOODIES" kill my electrical system??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 10:53 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will my "ELECTRICAL GOODIES" kill my electrical system??????

I figure wiring is wiring, so just because this isnt in a HONDA, I should still be able to receive some insight from yall
Alright, well here goes what I have on my '65:

1) 65 amp rebuilt alternator
2)Wal-Mart brand battery (Ill prolly buy a different battery -- the posts corrode VERY quickly as in "overnight" and it sometimes doesnt seem to take charge)
3)Sony Stereo/Cassette player (newest model)
4) hooked up to 2 pioneer 100watt MAX 3-way truck speakers (sound sweet for my tastes haha!)
5) a set of 55watt foglights (GT styles, just aftermarket and look nicer in my opinion -- also, only $40!!! haha)
6) "Dash Neon" that lights up my guages
7) my Sunpro SuperTach II (with its own lighting spliced into the dash neon)

NOTHING is spliced into my NEW wiring harnesses, so therefore if something blows on the fogs/radio/dash neon/tach light it WONT blow my main wiring (as in my NEW '65 harnesses ~~~ the whole car was rewired by me back in October definitely worth it!!!)

1) For the radio/Dash Neon/tach light it is wired to ONE SINGLE dash mounted switch that is grounded whereever, and is hard wired DIRECTLY to the positive (+) battery cable (basically, to turn on the radio with the car on/off, I just flip this separate dash switch and run the radio and dash lighting straight off the battery)

2) the foglights are wired to ONE SINGLE dash mounted switch that is grounded whereever, and is hard wired DIRECTLY to the positive (+) battery cable (basically, to turn on the foglights with the car on/off, i just flip the separate dash switch and run the fogs directly off the battery)

THIS MEANS THAT I HAVE the radio/dash neon/tach light/foglights running through 2 separate switches DIRECTLY wired to the positive (+) battery cable
***** Note: both of these switches run off of their own separate in-line fuses as well, so if something DOES blow out, theyll just blow out their own fuses (ie: the fuse for the foglights will blow / the fuse for the radio/dash neon/tach light will blow ***********
Should I buy a better battery???? (I plan on keeping a spare one in the trunk anyways just for safety, my bro does the same for his work truck, he never knows when he needs it since hes out in the woods/fields for work all the time)
Will this drain my battery???? (I know the dash neon/tach light wont, but how about if I run the radio, foglights, and the headlights at the same time while the car is running?????)

Thanks, sorry this is so long and confusing!!!! if there are any questions please just post here, or email me at doogaz99@hotmail.com !!!!!

Thanks, have a good one
Old 07-23-2002, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Will my "ELECTRICAL GOODIES" kill my electrical system?????? (Teken)

The best bet is to by a sealed or dry cell battery for the trunk area if you go this route. I wouldn't risk my health with a normal battery.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:24 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Will my "ELECTRICAL GOODIES" kill my electrical system?????? (Teken)

alright, sounds good guys
I posted this on 2 other boards and everyone said I did a very good thing by NOT splicing anything into my existing wiring and running each item on separate switches with their own in-line fuses (good thinkin by me and my bro haha )

Sounds good about the battery, thanks for lettin me know about using a sealed battery if I wanna have an extra one in the trunk

I might cough up some extra dough and buy a new battery for the car anyways, I never liked this Wally-World one anyways haha
A replacement alternator can be cheaply had as well

thanks again