Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Dynamat question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamat question

So i installed urethane motor mounts in my ek civic and it is just super rattly and loud inside now, so my thought is to gut the whole car and dynamat the entire interior. like floor, doors, fire wall, roof, trunk, trunk lid everything. I'm also hoping to improve stereo sound quality as well.
I was planning on using dynamat ultra lite to keep from adding a ton of weight, anyone have any advice on this?
any of the panels that i don't really have to do?
also how much product would i need to cover everything i want to do?
hoping this has been done before and has some answers for me.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:58 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Dynamat question

If your not worried about weight, doing the whole car even with ultralight will still add a lot of weight. then go nuts, it will make a diff., [along with other noise reduction] like a full carpet underlay, outer wheel wells sprayed with rubberized under coat, pulling dash and running soundproofing to the top of the firewall, hood liner and so on.

Dynamat by itself will not reduce noise level by a lot, Dynamat controls panel vibration, prevents sheet metal from resonating. 94
Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am a little concerned about adding weight thats why i was thinking the ultra-lite version, cause its less than half the weight of the normal dyna-mat. but as for the fenders and stuff i was actually wanting to strip all the crap out of there to clean it up, also eventually i want to strip the whole underside of the car to help recover some of that added weight. my thinking was basically making a cocoon within the car and everything else wouldn't matter, is that wrong? just wondering because i have no experience in this area. but my logic tells me if you seal the cabin then you wouldnt hear ****. let me know if that's incorrect.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This link will provide you with all the sound deadening info needed to begin the project.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

What mounts did you use and is everything secure?

If the car is a daily driver I wouldn't be too worried about adding a little extra weight.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the link,

the mounts i got are ebay mounts cause i was very low on cash at the time and had to replace the rotted out stock ones, and it is my daily driver so thats why I'm not too concerned about adding some weight but id still like to keep it within reason.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DO-WORK-SON
thanks for the link,

the mounts i got are ebay mounts cause i was very low on cash at the time and had to replace the rotted out stock ones, and it is my daily driver so thats why I'm not too concerned about adding some weight but id still like to keep it within reason.
No prob, lots of great info from that link.

Are you sure the mounts aren't bad or loose? When you mentioned the noise I just assumed it was a super abnormal versus Hasport red inserts type of rattle.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i should probably check on the mounts for tightness, but what i ment by rattly is like the intire car vibrates from the motor being so solid now, dash vibrates, door panels, and the trunk is bare so the exhaust noise accentuates the vibration making it comepletely insane at certain RPM's. far less than ideal for DD car.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i just read through that whole sounddeadnershowdown, certaiinly is alot of information. if i buy his products how do i know how much and what all i need to do a 2dr civic coupe? any one here done this before and have like a list of necessary products?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i should probably check on the mounts for tightness, but what i ment by rattly is like the intire car vibrates from the motor being so solid now, dash vibrates, door panels, and the trunk is bare so the exhaust noise accentuates the vibration making it comepletely insane at certain RPM's. far less than ideal for DD car.
The CLD tiles should solve some of the rattles.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i just read through that whole sounddeadnershowdown, certaiinly is alot of information. if i buy his products how do i know how much and what all i need to do a 2dr civic coupe? any one here done this before and have like a list of necessary products?
The best option would be to email him, he's very helpful.

In his How-To for the doors, at the very bottom, is an explanation regarding measuring for materials.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/how-to/doors

When I did my car years ago I went the Dynamat route; two Dynamat Extreme door kits, one Dynamat extreme bulk pack and two Dynamat DynaPad kits.

Way too much money spent on name brand products when there are other options. The Dynamat Extreme is pretty good stuff but the DynaPad is extremely overpriced for the amount of material per kit.

In reality, all the sound deadening products are over priced; Second Skin, RAAMMat, Dynamat, ect.

I'm running a 3 inch exhaust with no cat and I've virtually made my sound deadening useless. If I added a cat and possibly swapped the Vibrant muffler for a Magnaflow I might get back to the sound level I was at a few years ago.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PHAHEEM had great success with using other materials.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-security-video-27/dynamat-whats-verdict-3109536/
Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i e-mailed sounddeadenershowdown hope to hear back from him soon, id really like to get going on that process. seams like a pretty legit treatment to do. confusing with all the acronyms but should be able to follow the how to's once i get all the stuff. Thanks MECHANIX619 for the advice, probably alot better then what i had in mind.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick rundown on the acronyms.

CLD tiles: the sticky rubber sheets that dampen rattles.
MLV: the actual sound deadening material.
CCF: basically foam that is used as a barrier between the CLD and MLV.

I hope it all works out well, it's a process that's for sure.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess its confusing because its so broken down compared to dynamat that is i guess like CLD and MLV together. Thank you tho that does helps me make sense of it. im planning to order the stuff to do my doors tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah, yes, completely understand. Dynamat Extreme is the CLD tiles and DynaPad is MLV and CCF combined. Check out the post from PHAHEEM, he found some material from Home Depot that can be used in replacement of other MLV types.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well ive e-mailed sounddeadenershowdown 3 times now with no response, so if im gonna go that route im going to have to find all those products in different places, or just go with the dynamat method, what should i do? is the other method worth the extra effort!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well that sucks about him not responding; must be busy.

You can go the Dynamat route, it'll just cost a bit more.

Dynamat Extreme
Dynamat DynaPad
HomeDept sound deadening stuff
3M thinsulate acoustic

One trick to save money, and a little weight, is to only apply the Dynamat Extreme to 25% of the surface area.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah thats good to know, i wouldnt have known that if i didnt read the sounddeadener site, i thought you just cover everything.