Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

total noob to audio, need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default total noob to audio, need help

hey i bought an amp and sub from a buddy of mine for only 50 bucks, but havent ever put it in, i put sony 4 ways in my car, with nothing powering it up, i have my mp3 plugged through my tape player, i done need a cd player, and a cd player would bump up the amps, but i dont want to put the sub in, dont like subs, i just want clear music, so i want to put the amp through my speakers, i have a kenwood that says it has 200 watts, maximum power, it says its stereo/bridgeable, my buddy gave me all the wires to hook the amp up to a sub, so do i know need more wires to hook up to all speakers, or will it power the speakers through my tape player, from this point on i am lost, any help will be apreciated, i also dont have any manuals or directions for it either, thanks
Old 09-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: total noob to audio, need help (young noob)

If you are going to run your rear speakers off of the amp, you will not bridge it.
If you want to use the factory radio, use a rca line converter.
As far as wire goes you need:
10 or 8 gauge power wire at 18 ft to be safe, with a 30 amp fuse and fuse holder.
10 or 8 gauge ground wire at 5 ft to be safe
18 gauge turn on (remote) wire in 15 ft.
3 or 6 ft rca jack.
and i would say around 12 ft of 18 gauge speaker wire.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: total noob to audio, need help (Slosc2)

if you have everything to wire up the amp:
power wire
fuse/ holder
ground
remote wire
rca's
speaker wire

Most likely you have the stock hu in the car. So i say go to best buy or some audio shop around you. (i know best buy has them because now i work at bestbuy) and there speaker connecters that connect to the stock harness and become 2 wires:

The cut the rca cable and connect red and white on the speaker connector. (you only need one rear speaker) then plug the rcas into the amp and wire up the spearkers!

Btw, to run a amp remote wire. run a wire to your acc. wire on your hu!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: total noob to audio, need help (romoracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by romoracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The cut the rca cable and connect red and white on the speaker connector. (you only need one rear speaker) then plug the rcas into the amp and wire up the spearkers!

Btw, to run a amp remote wire. run a wire to your acc. wire on your hu!</TD></TR></TABLE>

why would you cut the rca's? Its much easier to just get a rca line converter. Also, If he is using the amp to run the rear speakers, He Should want channel seperation. I hope you dont install at the Best Buy you work at, I wouldnt want you in my garage.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:51 AM

thanks for the help, bump
Old 09-27-2005, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the help, bump</TD></TR></TABLE>

what else do you need to know? Its a pretty easy install.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i do install at bestbuy. Also when i install amps most people have head units with rca outputs. Hey, i got the idea from a friend that has his setup with running off his back speakers. So i thought i should share it.

Btw Trust me i wouldnt want to be in your garage!
Old 09-27-2005, 12:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slosc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what else do you need to know? Its a pretty easy install. </TD></TR></TABLE>
well you and romoracing have not come a conclusion if i need to cut the rca wires or not, so maybe i need to know that.....lol, but i think im going to listen to romoracing, i think he knows what he is talking about

i hope that is a good thing?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:13 PM

dont cut the RCA's, get a line level converter, the line level converter coverts to a low level signal, if you amplify an already amplified signal your goin to get mad distortion. The converter should also have an adjust ment to change the sensitivity of the output signal. Its $22 buy it.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MLD211)

just get the line level converter. check this one out. its 14 dollars(shipped):
http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-STEREO...wItem
Old 09-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
well you and romoracing have not come a conclusion if i need to cut the rca wires or not, so maybe i need to know that.....lol, but i think im going to listen to romoracing, i think he knows what he is talking about

i hope that is a good thing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I suggested proper ways to go about it..........And judging by the recent posts, im not alone in my saying. BTW, Ive been installing since 98 (Professionally to I should add, MECP and Fishcamp certifications)
Old 09-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well bestbuy only accepts mecp cer. people. Okay yes ive only been installing for about a year to two but hey i was trying to tell him a way that works(not the best) and could save him money. The line level conv. is a great item but maybe he didnt have the 25 dollars at the time. Hey, I dont want to get on no one bad side. Just wanted to let him know of another way that works and can save him some money.

No Hardfeelings?

btw, i dont cut rca cables and connect them to the rear speakers. I do it the right way the 1st time.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:26 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey i bought an amp and sub from a buddy of mine for only 50 bucks, but havent ever put it in, i put sony 4 ways in my car, with nothing powering it up, i have my mp3 plugged through my tape player, i done need a cd player, and a cd player would bump up the amps, but i dont want to put the sub in, dont like subs, i just want clear music, so i want to put the amp through my speakers, i have a kenwood that says it has 200 watts, maximum power, it says its stereo/bridgeable, my buddy gave me all the wires to hook the amp up to a sub, so do i know need more wires to hook up to all speakers, or will it power the speakers through my tape player, from this point on i am lost, any help will be apreciated, i also dont have any manuals or directions for it either, thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>I guess they didn't read your post very well, the one thing that stands out is " i just want clear music" adding an amp is not the way to go about that, it does not matter if you go directly into the amp, [they didn't ask you what amp it was or if it had speaker level inputs] or if you use or don't use a "rca line converter", [better known as a line level converter or LOC Line Output Converter among other things] you can even just add RCAs to the speaker wire pos. (+) leads, the result is pretty much the same, you are taking an amplified signal stepping it down and then amplifying it, and when you do that to run a sub, it's not a real big deal, but when you do it for full range or high pass, you will not get "clear music" you will just get louder unclear music as you are also amplifying the THD of the amped signal you are "re-amping" sound quality, [clear music] is produced by the HU, [the source] your source is already down graded because you are using the cass adpt. for your MP3, [if that is what you meant], if you want clean sound, spend a few $$ on a brand name HU that has an AUX input for your MP3, you will be much better off and SQ will be much better, then if you want to use the amp, Use the HUs preamp outputs and amp the front speakers and run them high pass, if the amp has a x-over, and use the HU power for the rear speakers, or if the aftermarket HU power is enough, sell the amp and sub, to offset the cost of the new HU, I am also MECP and Mobile Dynamics certified but I have over 30 years of installing under my belt.
BTW I have an Alpine HU and 4 x 6.5" speakers in my 94 teg, no amps or subs. 94
Old 09-30-2005, 06:58 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by romoracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you have everything to wire up the amp:
power wire
fuse/ holder
ground
remote wire
rca's
speaker wire

Most likely you have the stock hu in the car. So i say go to best buy or some audio shop around you. (i know best buy has them because now i work at bestbuy) and there speaker connecters that connect to the stock harness and become 2 wires:

The cut the rca cable and connect red and white on the speaker connector. (you only need one rear speaker) then plug the rcas into the amp and wire up the spearkers!

Btw, to run a amp remote wire. run a wire to your acc. wire on your hu!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who all carries these speaker adapters? Ive seen them on cardomain.com before but ive never seen them at best buy. Anyone know for sure?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: total noob to audio, need help (turner7205)

if you go to best buy go into the install bay. they are 6.99 for a pair.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:27 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome thanks