Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Subwoofer options, suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer options, suggestions

Well, like the topic says. I'm looking for a new subwoofer at the moment. Right now I have a Alpine MRD-M300 amp which runs 300x1 @2ohms hooked up to a JL Audio 8" W0 that I just picked up for 120$ which seemed like a great deal. Well I figured the sub wasn't enough for the amp, so I plan on upgrading. I'm thinking of some 10"s. Now I'm a pretty hardcore JL Audio fan for subwoofers. I'm all about SQ and deep/accurate sounding bass. I was looking at the JL Audio 10" W3V2, or the JL Audio 10" W6. But I was looking at more options/brands/suggestions. This is basically a stock system just added sub, aftermarket speakers up front, but stock deck. My budget is around I'd say 120-200$. I may even try to get a hold of a 8w7 if I can find it for a good price.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:42 AM

Anybody got suggestions?
Old 01-30-2006, 10:00 AM

damn bunk section..nobody has anything?
Old 01-30-2006, 02:50 PM

If your all about SQ thenJL is definatly a good sub. I have an Alpine Type-R 12' subwoofer and it sounds amazing. I have 475 RF amp hooked up to it. In my opinion it was worth every penny cause it still hits pretty hard when you want it to but is definatly a quality sub when you're looking for SQ.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:02 PM

So should i pick JL Audio 10 W3V3 or a JL Audio 10W6 (NOT the W6V2). If I can find a good deal on a 8" W7 I may pick this one over all. All 3 I believe are around 300rms watts subwoofers.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:54 PM

Default Re: (shyboy817)

no jl is extremely over rated.. i have 2 12 inch diamond audio d3's in a slot ported box with 2 350 watt alpine amps and a fosgate cap and my system hits soo hard it makes my friends eyes water... diamond audio and alpine subs are the way to go and if u look on ebay u can find extremely good deals
Old 01-30-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Re: (siblue99ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siblue99ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no jl is extremely over rated.. i have 2 12 inch diamond audio d3's in a slot ported box with 2 350 watt alpine amps and a fosgate cap and my system hits soo hard it makes my friends eyes water... diamond audio and alpine subs are the way to go and if u look on ebay u can find extremely good deals</TD></TR></TABLE>

shut.up.
of course your 12 INCH subs are going to be "LOUD" in a PORTED BOX YOU DUMBASS.
i love how some of the people in these threads are totally irrelevant when answering. we are talking about sound quality here. not SPL.
if you want great quality sound out of your subwoofer system, put it in a real nice sealed enclosure. and i would go with a 10w6 version 2 if i were you. as well as depending on the music of choice.. maybe even a 12. the key to the w6 is a great, crisp sound.. while maintaining good spl in the smallest box possible.
generally i would like to call them nice sql subs.

i purchased a 12w6v2 that i got for 250 brand new because i get my audio at ten up from my dealer.

you will not be dissatisfied with a reputable sub like JL's.

as for the previous post.. have fun with your boomy, sloppy sounding ported boxed subs.

dont get me wrong, some people just like bass. but why.
do concerts have bass turned all the way up so you cant hear anything else?
no. so why do it in your car if you want good sound?
my $.02
Old 01-30-2006, 05:02 PM

Well diamond audio subwoofers seem to be cheap on ebay. Anybody vouch how great they are?

PS. I already used to own a 12" JL Audio W6V2. The amp I have right now is an Alpine MRD-M300. It won't be able to handle the 12" W6V2. I want something that matches my amp.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:04 PM

Default Re: (LSRracing95)

talk to fcm about choice as far as subwoofers and overall stereo components.

most people going for nice sound will generally emphasize the fact that.. deadening the car, the placement of speakers, and how they are enclosed will alone be more productive to producing more accurate sound rather than "good" speakers/subwoofers/amplifiers
Old 01-30-2006, 05:10 PM

ok u ******* idiot if u put a jl in a sealed box your not goin g to get hardley any bass and the bass isnt going to hit as hard as it should... where in a ported box it will sound good and will carry further and hit harder inside the car
Old 01-30-2006, 05:13 PM

if u want to match your amp just a get a alpine type r sub they are basically the same as diamond audio but i think diamond hits just a tid harder... they both sound better in a slotted box
Old 01-30-2006, 05:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siblue99ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok u ******* idiot if u put a jl in a sealed box your not goin g to get hardley any bass and the bass isnt going to hit as hard as it should... where in a ported box it will sound good and will carry further and hit harder inside the car</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats just horrible
the w6v2 is specifically designed for the most accurate reproduction of bass inside a small sealed box. you need to stop posting, please.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:06 PM

ok u tard u dont know anything bout car audio
Old 01-30-2006, 08:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siblue99ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok u tard u dont know anything bout car audio</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, id like to hear your explanation for that smart little comment.. go ahead.

its pathetic, kids like you think you know what youre talking about so you have to run your mouth once again about totally irrelevant topics.
"you dont know anything about car audio"... well i guess that JL doesnt know anything about how they built their subwoofers either, and what the purpose of them was?

once again.. its time for you to stop posting. youre making everyone dumber who reads this thread.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:09 PM

Well, I'm definitely not looking foward in getting a ported/slotted box. Those are meant for SPL, which what i'm not into. I'm looking for sealed boxes only, SQ. Deep/Accurate sounding bass.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siblue99ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok u ******* idiot if u put a jl in a sealed box your not goin g to get hardley any bass and the bass isnt going to hit as hard as it should... where in a ported box it will sound good and will carry further and hit harder inside the car</TD></TR></TABLE>

Appreciate you for trying to help, but this is by far the most ridiculous response I've ever heard. A sealed box not going to get hardly any bass? What does it get then? Also learn to type man, and your sentences don't even make sense.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 10w6v2 corner loaded and glassed in the back corner of my hatch and am really satisfied with the low end extension and output. sealed enclosure with maybe 1.0 cu.ft. it's seeing 300 wrms. it's not going to boom and fart like that dork's dual 12" port box (no **** a vented enclosure is going to be louder), but it can move more than enough air to make my rearview mirror rattle when i want to. anything from jack johnson to mobb deep sounds great.

hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:11 AM

I LOL'ed at your post.

Since when does hitting harder = better sound quality?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:34 AM

Default Re: (GSteg)

thank you all for finally showing this retard he shouldnt be posting the stupid thoughts running around is his dumbass brain.

sealed boxes are best.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:29 AM

Anymore opinions? I was also looking at a Alpine Type-X 10" ...I haven't heard too much about these new subwoofers.

Modified by shyboy817 at 11:30 AM 1/31/2006
Old 01-31-2006, 09:30 AM

Diamond audio is definetly the shyt but you cant knock JL... overrated my ***. its all about creating the perfect combination in a different car and it all comes down to the owner and their personal preference. If you can get your hands on Diamond then hands down thats the way to go. As fas as amplification is concerned Alpine of JL but i like JL better. i used to work for The Good Guys and sold all this equipment except Diamond but i have heard them perform and they are GRRREAT! I think you should look into the w6V2 because it is one of JL's more accurate subs and comes with dual voice coils( i cant remember if w6v1 has that) and stick to a sealed box for more accuracy.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:31 AM
vc

This would be out of your budget but go for a 10W7!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:35 AM

Default Re: (vc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This would be out of your budget but go for a 10W7! </TD></TR></TABLE>

YES! YES! AND YES!!! haha thats what i have in my car and that shyt slumps!!! JL 500/1 running it perfectly!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:39 AM

I have a JL 12W6V2 in a sealed box and the thing rattles my whole trunk lid from the bass. I had to stiffen my rear view mirror so it would stop drooping down from the bass. My seat vibrates from the bass....so your statement is very wrong. If you have never heard a JL sub in person..dont post slander from idiocy on the subject.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:00 AM

Default Re: (sleeperteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeperteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Diamond audio is definetly the shyt but you cant knock JL... overrated my ***. its all about creating the perfect combination in a different car and it all comes down to the owner and their personal preference. If you can get your hands on Diamond then hands down thats the way to go. As fas as amplification is concerned Alpine of JL but i like JL better. i used to work for The Good Guys and sold all this equipment except Diamond but i have heard them perform and they are GRRREAT! I think you should look into the w6V2 because it is one of JL's more accurate subs and comes with dual voice coils( i cant remember if w6v1 has that) and stick to a sealed box for more accuracy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the suggestions. But I used to have a 12W6V2. The amp I have right now is only a Alpine MRD-M300 300rms x 1 @ 2ohms. The subs i've listed are range around 300watts rms. Which Diamond Audio subs are good? I seen a lot of different models on ebay.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer options, suggestions