Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Subwoofer Hum

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Hum

Ok so this prolly isn't the best place for this question. But, people here have helped me alot so far. So, here it is. I have a strange humming that comes through my subs. It is pretty loud cuz i have a 1500 watt rms amp. The hum is always there unless i turn off the headunit which kills the amp. I am wondering if anyone know where i might start tryin to fix this problem. Im not sure if it humms when the car isn't running ill check tomorrow. I dont think it is altornator noise because it doesn't change what i rev the car. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 01-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Subwoofer Hum

just a thought, but did you run your rca's with your power wire? if so, they could be picking up feed back from the power wire
Old 01-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya run the rcas on the other side of the car and check your ground. mine use to hum then i grounded it to the shocktower and it stopped.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea do not run the RCA too close with the Power Wire, also help if you're not using cheap wal-mart RCA wires.

Grounding could also be an issue but I'd say it's the RCA from the head unit to the amp running too close to the power.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or tey grounding the rca's and try making sure u are making a good ground by sanding down to bare metal to ensure a good ground
Old 01-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My rca are memphis i think and the power is under the passenger side door and the rcas run down the drivers side. Not really sure about where the ground is hooked up tho. Ill have to look.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what cd player do u have?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scheffee
what cd player do u have?
Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD its a screen
Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the connections of the rca's i have had mine cause humming when one side got loosened just a little bit. or if the rcas are grounding anywhere they can cause this (ie. a wire touching where it connects to the HU or broken shielding.) if possible try a different set of rca's and run them loosely through the car (like over the seats) that way you can see if it is something to do with the rca's or not.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cstone
check the connections of the rca's i have had mine cause humming when one side got loosened just a little bit. or if the rcas are grounding anywhere they can cause this (ie. a wire touching where it connects to the HU or broken shielding.) if possible try a different set of rca's and run them loosely through the car (like over the seats) that way you can see if it is something to do with the rca's or not.
Good stuff will try this when i get some spare time i bet its because my rca's are to short so i had to use a splitter to make them reach. Ill have to pull some slack from the trunk. Ill let yall know.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try that and if it doesnt work than try grounding your rca's pioneers are known for engine noice and humming
Old 01-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try turning the gains down a little bit... somtimes if the amps are turned all the way up with no input signal they with hum with the volume down...
Old 01-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I tore into the wiring and this is what I find. The sound shop (which will remain nameless SUNCOAST SOUND, MONROE, LA) that installed this amp ran the rcas right next to my power wire. Im talkin taped them together. I told them not to do that im a little pissed. Luckily, I had another set of rcas running down the center of my ride from an older install (one I did right). I hooked it up and checked the ground on the amp. Problem solved!!! Also, I installed a 3 farad capasitor while i was at it. Didn't help anything tho lol. Head lights still dim at idle lol oh well thems the breaks. I guess imma have 2 get a second optima battery and put both in the trunk. Yay new project. It never ends. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ever consider an upgraded alternator?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dohcvtak
ever consider an upgraded alternator?
yeah i might go that route instead of another battery not sure where to find one tho
Old 01-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you done this yet? if not its not worth it to try an alternator upgrade or a second battery yet.

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
Well since so many people ask me about this, Im's me about this and email me about this I figured I'll add this to the power side of this write up above. So its in one big thread.

Its not really hard to do. If you have common tools,time and the items to do the job right your good to go. Okay some pic. I would like to think hatching for letting me use his car for the write up since I sold the kitt off mine and I happen to be doing his.

Here is a pic of some of the items that you are going to need. A roll of 4 gauge power wire. The key to this is to make sure that you buy true 4g wire. There are alot of companies that make fake wire. Mostly on ebay and swappmeets. Its 8 0r 10g wire with a thick coat on it. amercian acc is some bull shyt. Stick will name brand stuff. Ie stinger, fosgate, tsunmie, street wire. There are others but I name the leading brands that most know. Your also going to need some quality terminals for 4g wire, crimpers or a hammer or high qulity crimp set. And the most important thing..... The terminals. There are alot on the market. So price is up to what kind that you want to use. I like to use High performance car audio ones like above. The best thing is that they lock on to the battery post. This also makes it hard for a theif to disconnect the car battery to kill your alarm. Even thou every alarm should have a back up battery on it just incase. Stinger, tsunnami,fosgate all make some good ones. Stay away of the cheap ones. They rust in the end and the bolts allways strip. Lets begin.

This is what we were working with from the start at the top picture. First make sure that you have the code to your stock radio if you have a factory one. If not you will be making a trip to the dealership to get the code. Second remove both the power and ground wire from the battery. This is done for two reason. One you don't want any loose wires shorting anything out. Second we are doing the starter wire too. And you don't want that wire live when you remove it. You don't want to see the 4 of july under the hood. Like I said before the process is really simple. Its R&R and a lil cutting.

Once you remove the main positive harness of the battery, fuse box, abs and starter wire. It will come off as one hunk. I'll put pitures of that up later since the camera died. Take your new wire and measure it all to the length of the harness removed. Then all you have to do is cut, crimp the new terminals onto the 4 gauge wire. Next insert the measured wire with the new crimps onto the new battery terminals. Follow the directions off the new terminals. Most use allen wrenches to tighten. Simple r&r. Repeat for the gorund wire and your done.

Here are pics of the starter wire and tranny ground.

valve cover.

Before

After

I hope this helps, You will notice brighter lights, easier starting and a lil uppidity on the gas mileage. Plus it makes the engine bay look alot cleaner. I might make car kits for diffrent makes and models of the honda and acura camp. So im me if your interested. Its a lil diy that can be done in about a hour.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^BTW: thanks wrx-killer-Sti-eater for a great write up ^^
Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you done this yet? if not its not worth it to try an alternator upgrade or a second battery yet.
Truely a nice write up. I have heard of this one question. Did you run new wire to the alternator or leave it stock? I have some 0 gauge wire that i was thinkin of using to do this. The only thing is i was gonna run new wire from the alternator. I started looking around and that is gonna be a HUGE bitch. Alternator wire runs all behine the engine under the intake manifold. Is it still benificial to just do the grounds and the battery to the fuse box? Oh and all the wiring in my car runs all crazy inside big wads lol
Old 01-31-2010, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it would be beneficial to just do the grounds and the battery to fuse box but it would be much better to also do the alternator. take a look at it and see if you could reroute the wire to make it easier to do. theres no reason that wires need to be routed the same way as the factory did it if you can find a way that would be easier and wouldn't interfere with anything else.

just to be more clear wires should still connect at the same places as they do stock, but they can be routed a different way.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it would be beneficial to just do the grounds and the battery to fuse box but it would be much better to also do the alternator. take a look at it and see if you could reroute the wire to make it easier to do. theres no reason that wires need to be routed the same way as the factory did it if you can find a way that would be easier and wouldn't interfere with anything else.

just to be more clear wires should still connect at the same places as they do stock, but they can be routed a different way.
Yeah, Ill check into that. I hate electrical work. I hade to rewire my ecu harness about a week ago. OMG shoot me please. The people that did this motor swap had it all ghetto fabulous electrical tape everywhere. Where did you get those terminal clamps?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that is wrx's pic. idk where he got them
Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that is wrx's pic. idk where he got them
ah yeah i noticed that lol im a spazz my bad. Imma try and do this this weekend
Old 02-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that or try a good battery like a kinetic and thne run some better and more wire
Old 02-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so optima batteries aren't good?