Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

stock deck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock deck?

Would you guys run a stock deck and run a sub and amp? I want it stock so thieves will not steal it. I did that before on my old car and it sounded good. Will an aftermarket head unit sound that much better? And does anyone here recommend an online site that sells stereo equip for low price? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:13 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: stock deck? (KingJeff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KingJeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would you guys run a stock deck and run a sub and amp? I want it stock so thieves will not steal it. I did that before on my old car and it sounded good. Will an aftermarket head unit sound that much better? And does anyone here recommend an online site that sells stereo equip for low price? Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>An aftermarket HU will make a huge diff. in SQ, and give you some kind of control of your sub, the aftermarket Hu will hav 4 x, [or more] the power of the stock HU, [if the can't find the faceplate hes/shes not going to take the back part] There are lots of places on line that sell car audio for low prices, but I will give you a hint, pay the extra few bucks at a local dealer, that way if you have a problem, you have a face to talk to, 94
Old 05-15-2005, 07:00 PM

i meant to type this out a long time ago... your post just reminded me haha. kind of "how not to get your **** jacked" having a stock head unit doesn't necessarily mean you don't have audio equipment. here's some advice: don't blast your tunes before you park. only after you leave. and if you're at that certain place often. don't thump your tunes at all.

and yes... get an aftermarket. read what ^^^ wrote
Old 05-15-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: stock deck? (idriveadelsol7)

hmmm, ill probably buy an aftermarket deck. Any advice on a basic looking one? I like the eclispe because they look like they actually belong on the car..... or maybe even a flush mount monitor with a cd changer.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:13 PM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KingJeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Any advice on a basic looking one? </TD></TR></TABLE>Alpine, clean neat and tidy, with removable face, or flipout screen. http://www.alpine.com 94
Old 05-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock deck? (fcm)

In my opinion, I don't think you will notice a huge difference in SQ using A stock head. The reason being that in order to appreciate (hear) the difference in SQ, the car has to be fairly quiet. Now I don't know about your car, but I know in my Honda between the road noise & engine/exhaust, I can't tell the difference between a retail CD or a MP3 CD I burned on my computer. If you plan on using an amp for your highs & mids you should be fine. I am running 2 amps off of speaker level inputs in my girls accord, and that thing sounds good. I do have an Alpine in my car with a detachable face, but I'm too lazy to take it off. So, that wont be much of a detterent if you don't use it. As far as the security part of it. I would have to say "think about it". If you drive down your street blasting your tunes you are gonna draw unnecesary attention. Be smart about it. Don't show off your system in parking lots to complete strangers that may see you car sitting somewhere one day & decide they want what you got. But in reality we all drive cars that draw attention so, make sure you get a good alarm first.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: stock deck? (carracr625)

yeah...for me I did not notice a huuuuge diff between stock and aftermarket when I had my system. I used the same speakers and amps but the only diff being the headunit. Just like you, half the time I am too lazy to take it off, and when I do, I usually put it under the seat, which is probably the first place a thief would look.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:25 AM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KingJeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah...for me I did not notice a huuuuge diff between stock and aftermarket when I had my system. I used the same speakers and amps but the only diff being the headunit. Just like you, half the time I am too lazy to take it off, and when I do, I usually put it under the seat, which is probably the first place a thief would look.</TD></TR></TABLE>The "high power" HU of today have 20 to 25watt continuas power x 4 in them, your stock Honda HU is about 4 or 5watts of continuas power x 4, so 4 x the power will make a huge diff. in SQ, even on the oem speakers, [its like 6 more dBs of output] the bass responce is where it will make the biggest differance it takes a lot of power to make bass 94
Old 05-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock deck? (fcm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The "high power" HU of today have 20 to 25watt continuas power x 4 in them, your stock Honda HU is about 4 or 5watts of continuas power x 4, so 4 x the power will make a huge diff. in SQ, even on the oem speakers, [its like 6 more dBs of output] the bass responce is where it will make the biggest differance it takes a lot of power to make bass 94 </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you read that I stated "if you are using an amp to power your highs & mids" then the amount of power output from the head wouldn't make a difference. But, of course, if you are using the head to power the speakers there will be a noticable difference.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: stock deck? (carracr625)

yeah...I plan on upgrading everything including sub with amp, but just maybe leaving the headunit stock.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:24 AM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KingJeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah...I plan on upgrading everything including sub with amp, but just maybe leaving the headunit stock.</TD></TR></TABLE> Then spend the extra $ and have a repair shop install some RCA preouts on your stock HU, it will make a huge diff. in SQ on the highpass, not as noticeable on lowpass 94