Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Stephens Viper 5900 Alarm Install Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stephens Viper 5900 Alarm Install Part 1

Hello my name is Stephen and I have been reading on these forums for a while now and learning about alarm parts for the past week pretty heavily. I’m going to be doing a Viper 5900sst alarm install on my 1998 Honda Civic 4door.

I am a complete “noob” when it comes to alarms. I have never had a car that has had one on it and most times I don’t even lock my doors. I’m very excited about installing my first alarm, researching and learning all about how to go about doing it properly. I have read every forum article that I can on this forum, and read the very detailed and very helpfully D.I.Y by suspendedHatch. Now this does not mean I fully understand what he and others are talking about, but I’m learning (slowly). I have messaged fcm with a few questions (ok more like 10) and he has been wonderful with responding with great and help answers.

I figured I would start posting photos of my car and what I plan on doing to get ideas and input from other forum members. Right now my plan of action is to install this on march 16,17,18th. I have already ordered the main alarm from WHATADEAL on google base (same one that 97_BB6 got https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1902048)

My car is a DX meaning no automatic locks or windows, meaning I needed to install motors in order to get “power door locks” I had a local shop install them. They put in a $55 Audiovox (propdl4) door kit. Works great, all motors go into one single block box that is hooked up by a ground and positive connection. So I will tape into that with my alarm to get the power doors working.
The sensors I was thinking about getting where:

DEI-507m Tilt Sensor

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEI-507M-D...wItem

Crimestopper AU94T Dual Zone Car Motion Sensor (suspendedHatch said its better then the DEI-508D Proximity sensor)

http://gooddeals18.zoovy.com/product/AU94T

Hoodpin

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Sta...sting

DEI 520T Battery Backup System

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEI-520T-B...wItem

Maybe some extra cheap LEDs to put on both doors
(I know it comes with 1 blue LED)

A Flame Thrower

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/232777.stm

And I’m deciding between a extra full siren, or just two DEI-513T Piezo sirens.

http://cgi.ebay.com/120db-Mini...wItem

And if a full siren is better, which one?

I’m very excited about this new project and hopefully with the help of you guys I’ll have a great alarm system install. I’m going to be taking lots pictures throughout the install, and as parts arrive.

I just ordered 40ft of E-dead SE .60grit (kind of like dynamat) to put on the doors and around the alarm areas and random other spots.

I had a 50$ x-mes gift card for sears, and since they didn’t really have wire or any kind of wire connectors that would be helpful for my install, I decided to by a Lithium-Ion cordless Dremel, never know when that might come in handy ;-)

As soon as I finalize my sensor list ill order the remaining parts and start shopping for wire and connectors and other parts that will be useful for the install. I have never done an install of this size, only installing head units and speakers and subs and amps (but nothing as clean as I want this to be).

Hopefully someone else will find this article helpful and inspirational so that they will do their own alarm install.

Now for what the car looks like, here is a little history.

Bought the car back in 8-2005 for 300$ and been working on it since, installing 3 trannys, clutch, fenders hood, bondo and paint (both done by a local shop) , headlights, tires, stock rims rear lights, tint, speakers, radio, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, timing belt.. ect… all replaced by me and my friends. I have put a lot of time and energy and money into this car/ hobby and I couldn’t be happier. I go to a local tech college and work hard for my money and I just want to project my hobby and investment.

Here are some before pictures.

And now…

-------update 3-11-2007 a few new photos-------

-----------------------------------------------------

Wow that was a lot to write/read, hopefully some of you are still awake, thanks for reading all that and I hope you will stick around and help me with my questions.

If you have any helpful D.I.Y or posts for me to read just post the links below, if you have better suggestions on sensors or anything else please chime in!

Thanks guys for your help!

-Stephen

Modified by stephen_civic98 at 5:22 PM 3/6/2007

Modified by stephen_civic98 at 6:00 PM 3/6/2007

Modified by stephen_civic98 at 3:15 PM 3/11/2007
Old 03-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stephens Viper 5900 Alarm Install Part 1 (stephen_civic98)

Just have patience when doing a stealth install. Plan out tthe install before hand it will save you alot of time. And if you know how it is Highly recommended that you solder the connections. Also I would invest in a DEI glass break sensor too. Good luck with the install.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish more HTers were like you. You did your homework before posting. Before/After on that car sent chills down my spine.

All sirens are more or less the same. There's an electronics store near me that sells sirens for $5 that are identical to the DEI sirens. As far as siren vs piezo, piezos just make one piercing sound. They don't change tones. Basically there are two places you want to make noise. Outside the car to draw attention, and inside the car to drive the thief nuts.

The outside noise you don't want to be too loud and too annoying, because that's how you get your car towed. So I suggest getting a six tone siren. Then what you should do is get some ear muffs and hook it up to a battery making a mental note of each tone. There are 2-3 tones that are just retarded. You can actually cut those out. Around the center of the siren are some little screws, take those out and carefully seperate the housing. Then inside you see a row of six metal loops. Chop the loops that correspond to the retarded tones, then test it, then reassemble it. Hopefully after a while, you'll be able to recognize the sound of your particular alarm.

Use a piezo on the inside. Then if you're ever in your house, and you hear that piezo, it means that your door is open and someone's in your car. So you know instantly whether its a false alarm or real. The piezo is tiny/light weight and easy to hide inside the car. You can even just ziptie it to a wire harness if you have to. But whatever you do, bury it! The piezo and it's wiring should be completely inaccessible. I usually put it next to the alarm because by the time they're that far, it's too late. Theoretically, they will never get that far (if it's a true stealth install). And because it's pretty hard to tell where the noise is coming from, so it's not going to lead them to the alarm.

Those pics are very old. You're not going to recognize your sensors when you get them.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the great reply and compliments.

How many piezo's can I hook up inside my car without it lowering the volume so much that it wouldn't make any difference? I guess what I'm asking is, what's more bang (sound) for my single siren connection, to tie in another full siren to my already 1 siren, or to tie in 2 or 3 piezos to my already 1 siren?

-Stephen
Old 03-06-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: (stephen_civic98)

I just did the same alarm and I love it. Good luck on the install
Old 03-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know, I saw your post and did some research based on your information and got the sameone. And from the same guy, thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stephens Viper 5900 Alarm Install Part 1 (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The outside noise you don't want to be too loud and too annoying, because that's how you get your car towed. So I suggest getting a six tone siren. Then what you should do is get some ear muffs and hook it up to a battery making a mental note of each tone. There are 2-3 tones that are just retarded. You can actually cut those out. Around the center of the siren are some little screws, take those out and carefully seperate the housing. Then inside you see a row of six metal loops. Chop the loops that correspond to the retarded tones, then test it, then reassemble it. Hopefully after a while, you'll be able to recognize the sound of your particular alarm.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats good info to know when i do my alarm install. never knew that you could cut out tones from that siren.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got done installing my 5900 (I didnt install it someone else did). The alarm is cool, the range is far but no where near a mile like advertised. I know theres interference and what not but damn, I really hoped that it would atleast get up to half a mile, hehe. Although when comparing it to my frined 791xv, I do get better range than his. How is your range? Also, My siren last only about 20 seconds long when it is set off, do you know how to make it go on longer? I don't have the installation guide with me anymore, just the user guide and it says that I can set it for 30 to 90 seconds, but it doesnt show how.

97_BB6 How is your range?

suspendHatch, while reading your article about stealth alarm, you said to use either the glass break sensor or the motion sensor but not both. Would you mind explaining why we shouldn't use both? thx
Old 03-07-2007, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Default Re: Stephens Viper 5900 Alarm Install Part 1 (MacH)

Not sure whay your range is not there. When I test all of my customer cars I get about a mile. I def get the half mile mark. Here are a couple of tips. Use a backup battery. This will make sure the alarm brain is getting a full 12 volts. A weak car battery will make the range suffer. Also make sure the unit is properly grounded. Also makes sure the antena is fully extended. Not just balled up and thrown in the car. Make sure the antena is not behind any tint and is exposed. Also make sure you do not use cheap batteries in the remote. Toss the one that comes with it. Its good for about a week. Were do you leave at? big city or small?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Stephens Viper 5900 Alarm Install Part 1 (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

The range on mine is pretty good. I didn't expect a mile as advertised but I was able to walk almost a half mile away from my shop where there was a lot of obstructions and I was still able to lock and unlock my car. I called my friend at the shop and had him set off my alarm and it took about five seconds to page me. It seems like the SST has a little bit slower response time but no where near as bad as the viper 771. however the 791 has better response time but no where near the range of the 5900.

As far as getting the most range out of your install you should put the antenna up high. Mine is on the back window at the top center and you can barley even see it. Also you should run the antenna cord as much as possible (this is supposed to help the range according to my co-worker) just don't bunch up the excess.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I live near you wrx-killer-sti eater, Long Beach City. Hmm, maybe my antenna cord is bunch up. parts wise, I followed what suspededHatch recomended. I got the alarm itself, the back up battery module (520t), tilt sensor, piezo sirens(513t). Im still deciding on getting the motion sensor or window break sensor. Waiting for suspendedHatch to respond to my question before I place the order. My antenna is place on the windshield right behind the rear view mirror.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MacH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My antenna is place on the windshield right behind the rear view mirror.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is where my old one was but I was tired of looking at it, & now my radar detector is up there, & since my back window is tinted you can't see it from the outside.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the 5900 has a built in glass sensor, thats why I am not getting one.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is nothing wrong with getting both a motion and a glass breakage sensor, but it's just kind of overkill because they detect nearly the same type of intrusion. I think you're better off pairing either of them with a tilt sensor.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stephen_civic98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the 5900 has a built in glass sensor, thats why I am not getting one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The last time I checked it did not have that feature.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wrx killer sti eater, I notice in your sig is says "need installs?" since you seem to know what you're doing and you live next to me, can you tell me if you or your shop install blackjax? Im bout to order the blackjax 5 and I just need a price quote on installation.

thx for replying suspendedHatch, I just placed an order for the motion sensor Au94t. It's on it's way now, probably get it on Monday or so.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

any1 have any experiences with the viper 7900...
Old 03-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can get the blackjack but I don't know the price because I never order one. no body really wants it out here. Yes I can help you on the install hit me with the make and model.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tha_badguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any1 have any experiences with the viper 7900...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I do if you if you switch the model to the clifford 50.5x. There both the same thing except the case
Old 03-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The last time I checked it did not have that feature.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your correct, it does not have a "glass breaking sensor" but FCM told me that I did not need one b/c "fcm: The system comes with a dual stage impact, you do not need a glass break sensor" so I thought that will be pretty good, plus the fact that I’m going to have a proximity motion sensor so that should cover any glass breaking issues, is this good logic?
Old 03-08-2007, 06:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.

I do if you if you switch the model to the clifford 50.5x. There both the same thing except the case</TD></TR></TABLE>

so they're the same except the 7900 remote has images to it right...
Old 03-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stephens Viper 5900 Alarm Install Part 1 (tha_badguy)

No. They're exactly the same except one says clifford, has a carbon fiber style case, comes in a clifford box, and has a clifford logo on the brain, the other says viper, has a blue case, comes in a viper box, and has a viper logo on the brain. Internally the brain and remotes are exactly the same. You can program a Clifford remote to your Viper alarm and tell everyone you have a Clifford.

You don't need to ask if the Viper 7900 is good. It's a high end DEI alarm. Enough said.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

the 7900 is the one with animations for every feature

& I dont think clifford has an equivalent to this one in paticular
i think u have the 7900 confused with some other model

so can this remote be programmed with other models besides the 7900?

Modified by tha_badguy at 3:57 PM 3/8/2007

Modified by tha_badguy at 4:01 PM 3/8/2007
Old 03-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stephens Viper 5900 Alarm Install Part 1 (suspendedHatch)

bump cause i jus picked up my 5900 for $250 and i also plan on installing it soon.
my car is a civic dx hatchback and i found a dei power lock kit for a good deal
but it is for a four door ......can i still use it on my 2 doorbut just 2 actuators (1 5wire and 1 2wire) and have everything work normally

here's the kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/524K-Power...wItem
Old 03-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stephens Viper 5900 Alarm Install Part 1 (R-81DC2)

Ok, I checked my alarm installation and the tips wrx killer sti eater gave helped out a bit. I looked into the wiring of the alarm and sure enough, the excessive wire were bunched up together. So what I did was rewired it and ran it all over the windshield, through the hood and to the back of the car (to make use of the total length of the antenna wire). The distance increased but still no where near a mile. I just got done testing it from one address to another and I input the address on map quest, and it showed that the distance I was able to reach was 0.38 of a mile. 97_BB6, wrx killer sti eater, or suspendHatch, can you tell me if I wrap the antenna wire around the car speaker, would that cut off some of the distance?
Old 03-10-2007, 11:33 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

damn how long is ur antenna wire...

why would u put this wire under tha hood

im pretty sure u over did it

when they say dont bunch up the wire
they dont mean do that

u can loop it
but just do it in big circles instead of just bunching it up into a ball

Quick Reply: Stephens Viper 5900 Alarm Install Part 1