Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Soldering vs. Crimping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soldering vs. Crimping?

Particularly when it come's to car alarm systems. Is crimping reliable enough for the job? I really don't have the time to solder everything but I will if I have too.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:11 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Soldering vs. Crimping?

No. It isn't.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

all depends on the tools you have. a solder done correctly will be stronger than a half azz crimp. a good crimp will be stronger than bad solder.

Go to radio shack and buy naked butt connecters, don't use the plastic coated ones. then make sure to shrink wrap it.... but by the time you do that you could have easily soldered it.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check out these that I found.

http://posi-products.com/instructions1.html

They seem pretty decent and they were used on the show MOTORZ when they installed an alarm system into a mustang. What do you think?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:36 PM
The Grumpiest

I use those. Never slipped a connection and won't ever with these.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, thanks for the input. I'll go with that method then.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3WP0RTZ
Particularly when it come's to car alarm systems. Is crimping reliable enough for the job? I really don't have the time to solder everything but I will if I have too.
Honestly it depends on what you are connecting.
As stated any superior connection will OUTPERFORM a poor one. If you crimp -look at kliens-thomas and betts-channelock.

But there are a few things to consider:

Is the connection to be made under the hood where its a hostile environment? Soldering
is a must.

Is a CRITICAL connection ? ( ie a data-canbus,etc) - Solder it.

Many of an alarm connections can be made by using a military splice ( split wire- insert -wrap -insulate). When it come to any immobilizer circuits it depends on how you want to do it.

hope this helps

PS- Posi as well as T-tapes are some of the WORST connectors to be used in an automotive environment just so you know.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For a secure connection that last a long time I would solder but if you don't have time butt connectors will do find just make sure you wrap the connection with heat shrink or electrical tape.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:39 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by audioroach
PS- Posi as well as T-tapes are some of the WORST connectors to be used in an automotive environment just so you know.
Clarify that. Because I've been using them for years and never had one single issue.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a difference in resistance between the connectors?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:14 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Soldering is the absolute best way to go, anything that allows air, [oxygen and moisture] like T taps, Amp connectors/Scotch locks, butt connectors, Posi-Tap or the like will promote corrosion.

I do not care what kind of connector it is, it will not be as good as a soldered connection, and if my cars security is relying on a connection, I would prefer it was "bulletproof".

Another thing to keep in mind, 99.99% of the time, a lead you need to tag into has a plug at some point, and that wire has a terminal in that plug that can be depinned and tha alarm wire can be soldred to the shank of that terminal, and the terminal repinned, elliminating the need to cut into any wiring, or the need for shrink tubing, also makes for a very clean install that is easly removed without leaving any damage to wiring harness. 94
Old 03-10-2013, 11:45 AM
The Grumpiest

There is no question that soldering is the way to go. However, the OP asked for an alternative to soldering and out of all of those Posi-locks, for me, have been a superior choice.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota's use crimp connectors from the factory on the wiring harnesses. Clearly crimping can't be that bad. I usually crimp, solder, and then heat shrink.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
There is no question that soldering is the way to go. However, the OP asked for an alternative to soldering and out of all of those Posi-locks, for me, have been a superior choice.
No he did not ask for an alternative, what he asked was, "Particularly when it comes to car alarm systems. Is crimping reliable enough for the job?" and said he would solder if he had to.

When it comes to the security of our cars, anything short of soldering is not 100% reliable.

I am not saying "crimps" are not reliable, just not as reliable as soldering.

Every day at the our shop, Dave Ward Auto Electric, we have customers who come in with problem with aftermarket alarms, remote starts and other aftermarket electronics, that are giving them problems, most have been working "great" for "years", in more then 50% of the cases it is wiring, as apposed to equipment failure, and most of that 50% is due to non soldered connections. 94
Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Only problem with solder is burns to you and the car. the other is your skills. Bad soldering is worse then just a tight twist. Crimping is fine if you use the right tool and the correct size terminals for the wire size. I always liked Thomas and Betts plier type crimpers and not the crappy flat type with strippers and screw cutters. Use the round dies for insulated terminals, not the dimpling one uninsilated. The small for red and blue and the big die for the yellow terminals.

If you solder and tape use 3M 33+ black tape. If you use cheep tape the adhesive will melt and unwrap in the heat. Place a wire tie around the tape for insurance unless contained in taped harness with other wires.

Anything but Scoch locs or T Taps. All crap and I would not use that other tap thing above.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by fcm
I am not saying "crimps" are not reliable, just not as reliable as soldering.
Not trying to argue. I think I also said that same thing. When he linked to the Posi-Lock products I gave him my opinion on them versus butt-connectors or electrical tape. He would solder if ""e had to" which indicated he did not want to have to. Truth be told he can do anything he wants and he has options. And like was mentioned Totota seems to use crimp connectors from the factory.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 222 Likes on 199 Posts

if you don't have time to do it right the first time (soldering), why even bother? Using crimp connectors on an alarm install is just plain LAZY and looks like ****. Crimp connectors DOES NOT qualify as a stealth install.

** the only time a crimp connector should be used.....is the GROUND ring terminal, nothing else. **
Old 03-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heck, I solder AND shrink-tube AND throw 33+ around it.

Doing this any other way you will probably be wondering 'WTH is going on here?' in a couple of years, after the elements have gotten to the connection, as well as oxidation.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 222 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredman
Heck, I solder AND shrink-tube AND throw 33+ around it.

Doing this any other way you will probably be wondering 'WTH is going on here?' in a couple of years, after the elements have gotten to the connection, as well as oxidation.
^^^
best method.

For those who don't know what "33+" is...it is about the best (black) electrical tape money can buy.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:07 AM
RESIDENT

Originally Posted by E4usmc
For a secure connection that last a long time I would solder but if you don't have time butt connectors will do find just make sure you wrap the connection with heat shrink or electrical tape.
Soldering will take an extra 10-15 mins over butt connecting.

OP, solder every wire you touch. If done correctly it will never fail. Like grumble said, I've never used a butt connector, never will.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's worth mentioning that if you ever solder a wire to a stationary connection (IE connector pins, forks, etc) you should always support the wire close to the connection (within 6"). Vibrations from the car will work harden and eventually break solid soldered connections if not properly supported. More prominent in race cars than every day cars, but still a good habit to have.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Soldering looks clean and neat, if done correctly. But maybe you suck at soldering, crimping is always an option. Your bad soldering can cause extra resistance in the circuit. I used to work at Audi, and they always wanted electrical repairs to be done with their high grade crimp connectors. If your going to use crimp connectors spend the money on a good set.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I solder everything then use those thermal tubes that shrink (best invention ever thought up)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93h2beg
all depends on the tools you have. a solder done correctly will be stronger than a half azz crimp. a good crimp will be stronger than bad solder.

Go to radio shack and buy naked butt connecters, don't use the plastic coated ones. then make sure to shrink wrap it.... but by the time you do that you could have easily soldered it.
Naked butts, solder, AND shrinktube. Been doin it that way for over 35 years~ and NEVER lost a connection....
Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

i use harbor freight MARINE shrink tubing. it has a glue inside it, so when u heat it up it seals everything with a glue too. amazing product.

Quick Reply: Soldering vs. Crimping?