Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Remote ignition killing '05 Accord brain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start killing '05 Accord brain?

Sup folks. Quick question. Has anyone, especially the installation guys on the boards heard of remote ignition killing the brain of an '05 Accord? I was calling my local shop about the Viper 791xv and the assistant manager said he didn't recommend it due to an '05 Accord they'd recently installed it on. He said everything was fine for about a week, but after that the brain was fried and it was due to the remote ignition. Of course Honda didn't take care of it since it was an after market mod, and his warranty was voided with only 1,200 miles on it. The guy had to go to court with Directed and they finally re-imbursed him the $1,500 he had to spend to get the brain replaced.

I called my Honda dealership to confirm it and the person in the service department described to me the same exact situation. I called Directed and nobody at tech support had heard of it. He said the shop would have to call them and they'd be able to walk them through how to do it properly. But if the shop is Viper certified, and did everything following spec yet it still messed up then what does it matter? So with the shop saying I shouldn't put in the sytem with remote ignition, Directed acting like everything is fine and not giving me any information or even researching to look into the matter to confirm if it was an error on the installation guys end or just something in the design of the unit that conflicts with the '05 Accord I'm stuck on what to do here.

Does anyone have any information on what could cause this? My local shop sells the 791xv for 499 and on this upcoming weekend they're having a midnight madness sale with everything half off so I could get the 791 for $250 installed. Any help y'all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Modified by hawado at 9:56 AM 7/25/2005
Old 07-24-2005, 09:22 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Remote ignition killing '05 Accord brain? (hawado)

I am not sure I understand, what do you mean "remote ignition" are you talking about remote start? 94
Old 07-24-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Remote ignition killing '05 Accord brain? (fcm)

yeah, the remote start/keyless ignition of the security system.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:37 AM
fcm
Old Fart

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com...s.htm if installed properly there should be no problem. 94
Old 07-24-2005, 10:50 AM

If the installation shop is Directed/Viper certified, and Directed had to go to court with the customer and pay him back for the brain; doesn't that mean that the shop did install it correctly and that the fault was on Directed?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:56 AM

Bump for anybody with any ideas.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:31 AM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hawado &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the installation shop is Directed/Viper certified, and Directed had to go to court with the customer and pay him back for the brain; doesn't that mean that the shop did install it correctly and that the fault was on Directed?</TD></TR></TABLE> But was it the customer that took DEI to court, or was it the customer and DEI that took the dealership to court, this has happened up here in Canada, the manufacture has gone to court on behalf of the customer, because a service department has blamed the install of an aftermarket piece of electronic equipment into the car as the cause of the problem and voided the cars warranty, I myself have gone to dealers for my customers, and asked them to show me how the install or whatever it was that was installed caused the problem, to this day, our shop or the product manufacture of anything we have installed has had to pay out a dime. In north America, if a car manufacturer or dealer want to void warranty because they say the problem was caused by the install or what was installed, it is on them to prove it, and yes there are times when an install or a piece of equipment has caused the problem, almost always it's the install, there are so many safety things engineered into electronics for cars just for that reason, so if installed properly, no matter what happens, it can not do damage to the car. 94
Old 07-25-2005, 10:20 AM

Hopefully you're right. What I'm doing now is that I called the assistant manager at another store that's apart of the chain of stores that told me about the '05 Accord that got messed up. He's going to do what he can to find out from DEI if there really is something between the '05 Accord electrical system and remote starts and whether or not this has happened to any other '05 Accords on record. Hopefully I can get some confirmation on whether or not this was a freak accident botched install or if there is really something to it.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your dealer continues to give you a hard time, remind them of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act...

http://pt-tuning.com/policies/Magn-Moss-Act.html

The dealership needs to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the starter caused the problems...
Old 07-25-2005, 06:27 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Default Re: (B18C_EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your dealer continues to give you a hard time, remind them of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act...

http://pt-tuning.com/policies/Magn-Moss-Act.html

The dealership needs to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the starter caused the problems... </TD></TR></TABLE> Great link 94
Old 08-12-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: (fcm)

Had the 791xv put on by another shop that was confident in their skills. It's been on for over 2 weeks and the starter hasn't killed my brain yet.