Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

With a four channel head unit what is the best way to wire door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With a four channel head unit what is the best way to wire door speakers

Hey what up everyone.

I have a panasonic head unit that I believe is a 4-channel 50 watt per channel head unit. And I drive a 93 civic DX hatch. which means I only have two door speakers. What is the best way to go about wiring up the two speakers. Should use the two channel for the front (Front Left +Front Right) and then just tape up the other channels. Then I could put the fade all the way to the front since I would not be using the rear channels. Or should tie two channels into one speaker(Front Left +Rear Left into Left door speaker) (Front Right + Rear Right into right speaker.) Or maybe because I am new to this speaker thing, there might some other way that may perform better. Any input is appreciated.

-Avery
Old 01-17-2009, 06:34 PM

Default Re: With a four channel head unit what is the best way to wire door speakers

Your first method is correct. Most head units dont have the ability to bridge the outputs from 4 into 2 channels, use the front outputs and you will be good. Your vehicle is wired for rear speakers at the factory radio harness, you may as well connect them in case if you decide to install rear speakers at a latter date. The speaker wires should terminate behind the brake light access panels, red (+) and brown (-) for right, blue (+) and gray (-) for left.

Kirk R
Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: With a four channel head unit what is the best way to wire door speakers

So you mean to tell me that that there is speaker wire is already present for rear speakers. And If I only use the front outputs I feel like Im wasting wattage. There's nothing I could do with the spare channels eventhough I dont have any rear speakers?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:43 PM

"There's nothing I could do with the spare channels eventhough I dont have any rear speakers?"

Yes, your vehicle is pre-wired for rear speakers. Other than connecting the rear outputs to the factory rear speaker wires for latter use, there is no better option. Its not "wasting" the wattage, just not "utilizing" the wattage.

Kirk R