Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

After-market Stereo & Component Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default After-market Stereo & Component Speakers

1998 Civic EX Coupe. A/T. 150k miles. Head unit only (no additional amps)

Purchased car six months ago. Has the original stock speakers front (component) and rear.
After-market head unit: JVC KD-S680 CD Receiver at Crutchfield.com I intend to replace all speakers. The 6.5" drivers aren't working and my guess is because they can't work as components with the after-market head unit.. sound correct?

Ideally, for imaging I'd like to use front components however, I will not be using an additional amplifier. Best just to wire in new 3-way door speakers and omit old component tweeter?

Speakers I am considering:
rear:
Amazon.com: Kenwood KFC-6965S 6 x 9 Inches 3-Way 400W Speakers, Pack of 2: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Kenwood KFC-6965S 6 x 9 Inches 3-Way 400W Speakers, Pack of 2: Car Electronics

front:
Amazon.com : Kenwood KFC-1695PS 150W 6.5" 3-Way Performance Series Flush Mount Coaxial Speakers with Paper Cone Tweeters, Set of 2 : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Kenwood KFC-1695PS 150W 6.5" 3-Way Performance Series Flush Mount Coaxial Speakers with Paper Cone Tweeters, Set of 2 : Car Electronics

For the fronts should I look for a non-paper cone?
Such as these:
Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1653 6.5-Inch Full Range 3 Way Speakers (Pair): Automotive Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1653 6.5-Inch Full Range 3 Way Speakers (Pair): Automotive

or

Shallow mounts:
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5-Inch, Shallow Mount High Performance 150-Watt Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair): Automotive Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5-Inch, Shallow Mount High Performance 150-Watt Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair): Automotive
Old 08-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: After-market Stereo & Component Speakers

Pioneer TS-A1605 is a very affordable set of components and should fit nicely in the front doors. That JVC should have no problem driving component speakers, and it's likely that there is an issue with the speakers themselves rather than the JVC not being able to power them.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Most of the information I've read concerning driving front components with just a head unit points to needing an amp or they will distort quickly. I also have concerns about the mounting depth of a 6.5" driver compared to most coaxial. I'd like to eventually add an amp for clarity but, not likely if I can get a decent sound out of current HU and decent speakers.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had plenty of customers go with the Alpine KTP-445A for their power woes if they just need a little extra bump in power.

The JVC KD-S680 puts out 17-45 watts. The KFC-6965S has a power range of ~5-45 watts RMS. And by power range I mean the range where they work their best. If you feel you're still short on power, grab an Alpine or Kenwood KAC-M1804 mini amp. That should get you in the right place in the power department.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a cool little amp and 45w RMS is a nice increase to lessen distortion compared to the HU's 17w RMS. I think I will try and find component speakers with a detachable tweeter.. in that way I can try it as a coxial and see how it does. If I don't like it then separate them and purchase the amp you linked. Thanks
Old 09-13-2015, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's what I've purchased and installed this weekend:

JVC KD-X320BTS Digital media receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield.com I purchased it from Best Buy for $80 /

Kenwood KFC-6965S 6"x9" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com
Purchased from Amazon for $32.54 (free shipping)

Pioneer TS-A1675R 6-1/2" 3-way car speakers — also fits many 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com
Purchased from Amazon for $40.79 (free shipping)

Sound is not too good due to early distortion but may have potential to be decent with this (recommended by MotoCARR):
Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack Compact upgrade for any car radio ? 45 watts RMS X 4 at Crutchfield.com Amazon price $125 = free shipping
What should my expectations be as far as cleaning up distortion, output, ease of wiring?
Old 09-13-2015, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 250cc_SuperKart
I wouldn't even run the 6x9's in the rear, maybe with stock speakers just to 'fill in' a little. You don't want the rears to overpower the fronts, front imaging is what you're after.
Stock paper speakers are fried. Now that you mention it the rears seem to overpower the current setup. I believe that amp linked has independent front and rear gain..another reason to buy it.

Originally Posted by 250cc_SuperKart
I mean, do you want to go to your favorite music artist (Brittany Spear).......and hear her in concert while having your back towards her the whole time? So why do that in your car?
I'd want Britney Spears to turn her back to me the whole time
You spelled the name Brittany correctly. Trailer trash moms love to change the spelling of common names.

Listen to my Britney Spears records:
Old 09-14-2015, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
Here's what I've purchased and installed this weekend:

JVC KD-X320BTS Digital media receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield.com I purchased it from Best Buy for $80 /

Kenwood KFC-6965S 6"x9" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com
Purchased from Amazon for $32.54 (free shipping)

Pioneer TS-A1675R 6-1/2" 3-way car speakers — also fits many 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com
Purchased from Amazon for $40.79 (free shipping)

Sound is not too good due to early distortion but may have potential to be decent with this (recommended by MotoCARR):
Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack Compact upgrade for any car radio ? 45 watts RMS X 4 at Crutchfield.com Amazon price $125 = free shipping
What should my expectations be as far as cleaning up distortion, output, ease of wiring?
What volume level/number on the radio are you hearing distortion at? Is it coming out of all the speakers or just certain ones?
Old 09-14-2015, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotoCARR
What volume level/number on the radio are you hearing distortion at? Is it coming out of all the speakers or just certain ones?
The distortion is not over-bearing but is mild-medium and noticeable on all speakers.. with the rears being a bit more noticeable. The rears are obviously producing more mid bass and seem to be designed to be a bass heavy speaker... which could be generating the distortion I am picking up more. It sounds like mild distortion at all volume levels and gets heavier at 3/4 to full volume. Puts out a very good amount of volume when near and to full (dimed)..probably attributed to the speakers (dB) sensitivity. I bought a cheap setup, don't plan to go through the hassle of wiring for a bigger 4-channel and mono amp, not adding a sub and I'm not expecting great sound. However, would like to clean up the RMS output and add a bit more volume.

I don't have any type of dynamat, quick roof, matting or other type of sound deadening that may help with distortion. I do plan to install some in the near future..any suggestions?
*Side note: I am using the factory wiring which looks to be 20g or possibly 22g wiring. On the front I cut the four wires (2 for driver and 2 for tweeter) from the stock component speaker connector. These thin gauge wires may account for the some of the noted distortion?

Last edited by Jimi Hondrix; 09-14-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My last post I still had the old JVC head unit in. I installed the new one: JVC KD-X320BTS and it cleaned up the distortion some. Spent a lot of time today listening to various types of music at different volumes and EQ levels and have deduced that most of what I thought was distortion is actually rattle from doors and trunk.

I have to say the JVC KD-X320BTS is a damn nice unit for the price. I'm going to hold off on that little amp for a bit and work on the sound deadening.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
most of what I thought was distortion is actually rattle from doors and trunk.
EXACTLY why I asked what volume you were listening at

As far as sound deadening goes, it depends on what you want to try. Dynamat and Second skin are about $4/sqft vs some very similar products that are found at Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, etc. The name brand stuff works great, and from the installs I have seen/heard used with a product like Tite Seal Butyl tape(Mendards) or Peel & Seal(Lowes), I'm not sure I also work well and is more readily available. I used Tite Seal from Menards to seal off a door in my Miata and I was satisfied with the sound deadenting it provided. Held up well for the three years I owned the car.

http://www.menards.com/main/doors-wi.../p-2706672.htm

Shop Peel & Seal Instant Waterproof Repairs 6-in x 25-ft Aluminum Roll Flashing for Chimneys, Roofs, Doors, Vents, Gutters, and Egress Windows at Lowes.com
Old 09-16-2015, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotoCARR
EXACTLY why I asked what volume you were listening at

As far as sound deadening goes, it depends on what you want to try. Dynamat and Second skin are about $4/sqft vs some very similar products that are found at Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, etc. The name brand stuff works great, and from the installs I have seen/heard used with a product like Tite Seal Butyl tape(Mendards) or Peel & Seal(Lowes), I'm not sure I also work well and is more readily available. I used Tite Seal from Menards to seal off a door in my Miata and I was satisfied with the sound deadenting it provided. Held up well for the three years I owned the car.

http://www.menards.com/main/doors-wi.../p-2706672.htm

Shop Peel & Seal Instant Waterproof Repairs 6-in x 25-ft Aluminum Roll Flashing for Chimneys, Roofs, Doors, Vents, Gutters, and Egress Windows at Lowes.com
Thanks MotoCARR.
I used this: USEAL USA Band 6 in. Aluminum Foil Self-Adhesive Repair Tape-8872AF6 - The Home Depot so far on the inside of driver's door panel.
and found this informative thread to get ideas from: Simple, cheap, and effective door treatments - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum
I like the use of plexiglass and sealant to cover larger openings. The egg carton foam would definitely help but not good for moisture concerns.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Perfect! If you apply it to the door skin and or trunk, just be carefull that you don't push too hard and end up making a bunch of creases, especially if you use a roller.....ask me how I know lol.

Example is this guy, right where his left hand is, it's super thin and doesn't have any of the body support/reinforcement. Use caution.