Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

OEM vs aftermarket alarm + remote starter; what will integrate best?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM vs aftermarket alarm + remote starter; what will integrate best?

I have a 2007 Accord VP 4 door, 4 cyl which came with remote door locks on the keys, but no keyless entry (which I don't care about), no alarm, and no remote start.

I want to have an alarm and remote start. As far as I can tell, the OEM Honda module that I can find online for about $180 doesn't provide any remote start function and there is no Honda remote start option for this vehicle. On the plus side, it looks like it installs pretty easily.

Would it be best to get a Honda OEM alarm and then go have an aftermarket remote-starter installed? Or should I skip the OEM alarm and just go to Best Buy and get a DEI alarm with remote starter module? Is there some better alarm/remote starter on the market than the ones at Best Buy? I only really know the Viper/Clifford/Directed Electronics ones.

Concerns;
-It would be nice to use ONLY the Honda key for the alarm and remote-starter (so as not to have to carry an additional fob). Obviously if I use the OEM alarm, my existing keys will arm/disarm the alarm and lock/unlock the doors and trunk. Are there any aftermarket alarms or remote starters that can be activated with my existing key?

-I have seen other installs on vehicles with keys with security 'chips' in them where the car won't start without the key present. Sometimes the installer finds a way to permanently disable the circuit that checks for the 'chip' in the key, or takes your spare key and puts it in a box in the car to bypass this, but to me, that seems really stupid; if you don't want you car stolen, why leave your spare key inside it? Even if the thief can't find it quickly, it's still making the whole point of having a 'chip' in the key completely useless. Is there a remote start system that integrates with the Honda in such a way that you can remote start it but not leave it vulnerable to theft?

The only reasons I'm considering the Honda OEM alarm is because I'm sure it's very reliable (aftermarket alarms always seem to have issues with sensitivity until you get it fine tuned) and it looks like it installs very easily (I'd do it myself).

I've had experience with about 7 aftermarket alarms on my various vehicles over the years. No matter where I go for an aftermarket car alarm, (whether from chains like Circuit City, Best Buy, or local installers) I always end up running into a problem with the install after a while; usually it's something I can fix like a loose wire or splice that fell apart. Sometimes it's not something I can or want to fix; (I had a remote starter installed by a local shop that should have used a tach lead but they were lazy and used a timed start. The car refused to start in very cold weather even when I maxed out the 'crank' time; the installer refused to fix it and pretended not to even understand what I was talking about). This only happened when it was below freezing so it was hard to prove!

The reasons I'm considering an aftermarket alarm are the additional features (more zones, more expandability, and they seem to integrate well with remote starters; Like I mentioned above -I have bought car alarms for other cars in the past and then had remote starters installed later, generally they can get both functions on the existing alarm remote).

Thanks for your inputs
Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM vs aftermarket alarm + remote starter; what will integrate best?

Originally Posted by speedup
I have a 2007 Accord VP 4 door, 4 cyl which came with remote door locks on the keys, but no keyless entry (which I don't care about), no alarm, and no remote start.

I want to have an alarm and remote start. As far as I can tell, the OEM Honda module that I can find online for about $180 doesn't provide any remote start function and there is no Honda remote start option for this vehicle. On the plus side, it looks like it installs pretty easily.

Would it be best to get a Honda OEM alarm and then go have an aftermarket remote-starter installed? Or should I skip the OEM alarm and just go to Best Buy and get a DEI alarm with remote starter module? Is there some better alarm/remote starter on the market than the ones at Best Buy? I only really know the Viper/Clifford/Directed Electronics ones.

Concerns;
-It would be nice to use ONLY the Honda key for the alarm and remote-starter (so as not to have to carry an additional fob). Obviously if I use the OEM alarm, my existing keys will arm/disarm the alarm and lock/unlock the doors and trunk. Are there any aftermarket alarms or remote starters that can be activated with my existing key?

-I have seen other installs on vehicles with keys with security 'chips' in them where the car won't start without the key present. Sometimes the installer finds a way to permanently disable the circuit that checks for the 'chip' in the key, or takes your spare key and puts it in a box in the car to bypass this, but to me, that seems really stupid; if you don't want you car stolen, why leave your spare key inside it? Even if the thief can't find it quickly, it's still making the whole point of having a 'chip' in the key completely useless. Is there a remote start system that integrates with the Honda in such a way that you can remote start it but not leave it vulnerable to theft?

The only reasons I'm considering the Honda OEM alarm is because I'm sure it's very reliable (aftermarket alarms always seem to have issues with sensitivity until you get it fine tuned) and it looks like it installs very easily (I'd do it myself).

I've had experience with about 7 aftermarket alarms on my various vehicles over the years. No matter where I go for an aftermarket car alarm, (whether from chains like Circuit City, Best Buy, or local installers) I always end up running into a problem with the install after a while; usually it's something I can fix like a loose wire or splice that fell apart. Sometimes it's not something I can or want to fix; (I had a remote starter installed by a local shop that should have used a tach lead but they were lazy and used a timed start. The car refused to start in very cold weather even when I maxed out the 'crank' time; the installer refused to fix it and pretended not to even understand what I was talking about). This only happened when it was below freezing so it was hard to prove!

The reasons I'm considering an aftermarket alarm are the additional features (more zones, more expandability, and they seem to integrate well with remote starters; Like I mentioned above -I have bought car alarms for other cars in the past and then had remote starters installed later, generally they can get both functions on the existing alarm remote).

Thanks for your inputs

I would stay with original alarm
Old 12-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: OEM vs aftermarket alarm + remote starter; what will integrate best?

There are plenty of good aftermarket alarms that will do the job correclty. You do not want to use a piggy back remote start system. There not allways reliabe. Look into a dei keyless entey and remote start.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
There are plenty of good aftermarket alarms that will do the job correclty. You do not want to use a piggy back remote start system. There not allways reliabe. Look into a dei keyless entey and remote start.

For the alarm part would you stick with Honda OEM alarm as well?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont favor most oem alarm systems as they don't provide much if any security. Also you do not have to leave a key in your car for remote start anymore. They have bypasses that remember the key code.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
I dont favor most oem alarm systems as they don't provide much if any security. Also you do not have to leave a key in your car for remote start anymore. They have bypasses that remember the key code.
I prefer the good ol' fashion metal key
Old 12-18-2012, 06:09 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Aftermarket alarm/remote start combo unit FTW, OEM alarms are very basic, you can do the same thing for $5 with a kill switch.

As mentioned a bypass module does not require a key be left in the car.

The Fortin EVO-CAN or EVO-ALL will give you almost everything you need and if the Alarm/remote start you get is compatible so you can use DATA LINK amost all connections, [other then ign. switch ones] is done with one cable between the alarm/remote start and the bypass module, [easy clean install].
http://ifar.ca/en/vehicles/honda/accord/2007/ 94
Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PS3typeS
I prefer the good ol' fashion metal key
So do theives. Why leave a key in a car when you do not have to makes no daM sence......smh. So now they have the code and key to the steering lock. And most states a less charge.