Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Need some help with component set installation ( 2000 Civic Si )... *PICS!*

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with component set installation ( 2000 Civic Si )... *PICS!*

Just picked up this Alpine component set the other day...

The directions are rather vague for the installation of this stuff so hopefully you guys can help me out Excuse my n00bness with audio gear

First question: Is it normal for the tweeter to NOT want to fit the stock bezel? The Alpine tweeter is a *hair* too big it seems. Won't fit INTO the bezel, won't sit flush OUTSIDE the bezel, etc etc. Do I need to trim the bezel with a dremel? I know that the double-sided tape will hold the Alpine tweeter in...IF I can get it INTO the bezel... see:

Here's what the bezel looks like minus any tweeters. Note where a screw goes through it into the back of the stock tweeter.

The Alpine tweeter doesn't have a hole for a screw to go into. Stock tweeter on right, Alpine on left...

On the back of the stock 6" mid range speaker is just a harness plug. It has two brown/black wires and two red/green wires. Which do I tap into for the Alpine speaker? 'Cause obviously that harness doesn't plug into an Alpine speaker...

And last but not least, the crossover... Do I just run the signal wire going to each speaker into any terminal on this then back out to the speaker?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-17-2004, 09:11 AM
New User

Default Re: Need some help with component set installation ( 2000 Civic Si )... *PICS!* (JoshuaVTEC)

Only stock tweets fit into the bezel like stock

Get a dremel and trim the plastic on the tweet, or the bezel.

On the crossover the connections should be written somewhere. You cannot just connect a speaker to any terminal.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help with component set installation (vteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only stock tweets fit into the bezel like stock
Get a dremel and trim the plastic on the tweet, or the bezel.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks!

Anyone else on the other questions?
Old 05-18-2004, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help with component set installation ( 2000 Civic Si )... *PICS!* (JoshuaVTEC)

up
Old 05-18-2004, 04:56 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that connector you have there is the input on the crossover, you can either cut that connectoer or do what i would and just splice into it, the red wire is postive, and brown is negative.. install the cross overs in the door to save you time and hassel of running wires through the molex plug.. you will then have 2 terminals for the speaker wire and 2 terminals for the tweeter.. make sure you get + and - correct so that they dont sound like crap.. the silver looking color is negative, while gold looking color is positive..
Old 05-18-2004, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help with component set installation (Boostfedb18c1)

wow, my reply got deleted...awesome.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help with component set installation (georgelb)

Thanks for all the help guys! Anything else?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow, my reply got deleted...awesome. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Re-type it maybe?

PS: Are there any recommended audio forums out there like HT where you can post questions and answers for audio gear?

Old 05-18-2004, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfedb18c1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that connector you have there is the input on the crossover, you can either cut that connectoer or do what i would and just splice into it, the red wire is postive, and brown is negative.. install the cross overs in the door to save you time and hassel of running wires through the molex plug.. you will then have 2 terminals for the speaker wire and 2 terminals for the tweeter.. make sure you get + and - correct so that they dont sound like crap.. the silver looking color is negative, while gold looking color is positive.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Cut the 4 wires out of that plug. Two of those wires go to the tweeter, the other two head into the car to the radio. what you can do as a cheaper way to wire is just run the pair comming off the radio into the cross-over input, and hook the other pair to the TWEETER OUT on the cross-over. Then the wires connecting to your factory tweeter, snip that half way between the plug and the tweeter, and solder the plug onto the wires comming off of the Alpine tweeter. When you're all said and done the alpine tweeter will plug back into the car's Tweeter plug.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help with component set installation (rjr162)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rjr162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cut the 4 wires out of that plug. </TD></TR></TABLE>

For God's sake DON'T CUT ANYTHING! Just do what BoostFedB18C said and splice into them. That way, if you ever get rid of the car, you can just cut the splices out, remove your Alpine equipment, and plug the stock stuff right back in the way it was.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help with component set installation (B18C_EJ8)

Old 05-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help with component set installation (B18C_EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For God's sake DON'T CUT ANYTHING! Just do what BoostFedB18C said and splice into them. That way, if you ever get rid of the car, you can just cut the splices out, remove your Alpine equipment, and plug the stock stuff right back in the way it was. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you cut the plug off and give yourself about 2 inches of wire, you'll have no problem splicing the plug back on. My god people, use your heads. Anything you cut off and give yourself enough room you can re-attach.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:42 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Need some help with component set installation (rjr162)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rjr162 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you cut the plug off and give yourself about 2 inches of wire, you'll have no problem splicing the plug back on. My god people, use your heads. Anything you cut off and give yourself enough room you can re-attach.</TD></TR></TABLE>

u didnt make that clear the first time.. and since he is new to this he may not understand what he is supposed to do..
Old 05-18-2004, 04:21 PM

i personally would be too scared to use a dremel to remove material... one twitch and its game over with that thin *** plastic. Consider using sand paper, much safer option IMO...
Old 05-18-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would not dremel it either...
i had several issues with components in my civic...
crystal comp tweeters did not fit
i only had good luck with infinity reference and JL XR comps (which i run now)
Old 05-18-2004, 06:11 PM

Default wire adapters

Crutchfield will sell you an adapter for you stock connector. They are called "Honda/Acura Speaker Harnesses: 1990-up, speaker adapter plugs".
These harnesses allow you to plug your new speakers into the factory connectors present in your vehicle's speaker openings. This way there is no cutting of your factory wires, and you can put your original speakers back in if you ever decide to.

They sell them for 13$ though, a pair, so they're a bit pricey, but they offer a clean solution.

Good luck with your installation. I am about to the the same in my Prelude as soon as I get my speakers.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help with component set installation (BlkGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlkGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i personally would be too scared to use a dremel to remove material... one twitch and its game over with that thin *** plastic. Consider using sand paper, much safer option IMO... </TD></TR></TABLE>

These things did not fit at all, dremel works great...but you do indeed have to be very careful.

That harness from crutchfield is a good idea.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wire adapters (Etienne95)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Crutchfield will sell you an adapter for you stock connector. They are called "Honda/Acura Speaker Harnesses: 1990-up, speaker adapter plugs".
These harnesses allow you to plug your new speakers into the factory connectors present in your vehicle's speaker openings. This way there is no cutting of your factory wires, and you can put your original speakers back in if you ever decide to. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You rock Just ordered

PERFECT for what I need
Old 05-25-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Re: wire adapters (JoshuaVTEC)

how did you get your tweeter panels off juts out of curiousity, I have a 00 Civic EX and I have some extra speakers I want to put in, some eclipses for mids and some bostons for highs, can't figure out if the tweeters will fit though Thanks in advance
Old 05-25-2004, 04:34 PM
New User

Default Re: wire adapters (undertow.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undertow. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how did you get your tweeter panels off juts out of curiousity, I have a 00 Civic EX and I have some extra speakers I want to put in, some eclipses for mids and some bostons for highs, can't figure out if the tweeters will fit though Thanks in advance</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have to pull the door panel, then the panel just "pops" off. You can pull the tweeter panel off without pulling the door, but you can't get to the wiring to remove the tweeter...
Old 05-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wire adapters (rcurley55)

ever changing from day to day

Modified by renone at 12:44 AM 5/27/2004
Old 05-26-2004, 02:50 PM

ummm....what does blue lights and a water bottle installed in an EP3 have to do with component installation in a 2000 civic??
Old 05-26-2004, 04:14 PM
New User

Default Re: (EBP_SI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EBP_SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ummm....what does blue lights and a water bottle installed in an EP3 have to do with component installation in a 2000 civic??</TD></TR></TABLE>

great question - and remind me not to lend that guy any of my CD's - yikes, nice "storage" system
Old 05-26-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Need some help with component set installation (JoshuaVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JoshuaVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">PS: Are there any recommended audio forums out there like HT where you can post questions and answers for audio gear?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounddomain.com

there forums are loaded with info..
Old 05-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need some help with component set installation (Hybrid Racer.)

was edited
i copied and pasted a prev post
forgot to edit
cds ...
ha who buys cds anymore
there disposables
Old 05-27-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Need some help with component set installation (renone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by renone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">was edited
cds ...
ha who buys cds anymore
there disposables
</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol...i guess those are the 1 time use cd's. personally i buy all of my cd's because i like to have good quality tracks and its also nice to have the artwork to go along with it.

Quick Reply: Need some help with component set installation ( 2000 Civic Si )... *PICS!*