Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

NEED HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP ASAP

so i got an amp and subs from a friend, i spliced the rear speaskers to get an input for the amp and i grounded the amp, fed it poweer from nattery with fuse, and attached the amp to the subs.....amp doesnt turn on.....i dont know why....my friend had an REM wire betweem tne ground and the power and with that plug it worked, what is the REM and what do i do to make it work, respond asap!~!!!!

thanx oin advance
Old 08-08-2004, 04:41 PM

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP (99CivicExCoupe)

Need to run 12v to the REM terminal to turn on the amp. It can be done from the head unit's amp turn on output or from an accessory output at the fuse box.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:34 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99CivicExCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.my friend had an REM wire betweem tne ground and the power and with that plug it worked, </TD></TR></TABLE> I don't think so, or am I misunderstanding 94
Old 08-08-2004, 11:40 PM

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP (fcm)

thanks a lot eric's r, i ran a line from the fuse of the radio to the REM input on the amp. You've been really helpful. I need to ask one more question....im gettin terrible sound quality and my noob education has brought me to understand that its because im drawing input from tapping into the back right speaker to go to the input of the amp which isnt smart...so i need to run an input from the headunit to the amp instead and was wondering if u know which wire it is. I have a 99 civic ex with OEM honda cd player with no harnesses and whatsoever....does it have a sub output line i could use or should i just use the speakers output line....any ideas or suggestions or sites would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-09-2004, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99CivicExCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks a lot eric's r, i ran a line from the fuse of the radio to the REM input on the amp. You've been really helpful. I need to ask one more question....im gettin terrible sound quality and my noob education has brought me to understand that its because im drawing input from tapping into the back right speaker to go to the input of the amp which isnt smart...so i need to run an input from the headunit to the amp instead and was wondering if u know which wire it is. I have a 99 civic ex with OEM honda cd player with no harnesses and whatsoever....does it have a sub output line i could use or should i just use the speakers output line....any ideas or suggestions or sites would be greatly appreciated!</TD></TR></TABLE>

you'll have to use the speaker level output. I've had this issue with MTX amps before. If you ran the speaker level into the amp's internal "High Level Input" you would get noise. I disconnected that and used a PAC adaptor for the customer (they typically run $14.99~$19.99) which converts the speaker level audio into a RCA low level audio signal, and the noise went away. One thing you might want to do first is check your ground. You might not have a good ground and your noise might be comming from it. This is a free fix and something you should try first
Old 08-09-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP (rjr162)

my ground is good and ill definitely look into that, but for now all i need to realy know is which wire in the back of the oem honda cd player i can tap into to run to the amp, thanx, ill take that into consideration
Old 08-09-2004, 05:46 PM

From one of my Omega books.

1999 Honda Civic rear speakers:

Left (+) Blue w/yellow stripe
Left (-) gray w/white stripe

Right (+) red w/yellow stripe
Right (-) brown w/white stripe

Go to your nearest stereo shop and purchase a good quality Hi/Lo converter and follow the directions on how to connect the converter's four wires to the ones provided above. Then, run your RCA's to your amp.

Good luck!

Eric
Old 08-09-2004, 11:09 PM

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP (Eric's R)

thanx a lot bro, u've been a biggg help, so im guessin the hi/lo converter output would be good for my amp?
Old 08-11-2004, 12:21 AM

bump for what the hi/lo converter does specifically and how the wiring works....4 wires go in...4 come out with an additional for amp??? hows it workrrrrrkkk...thanx forall the help thus far
Old 08-11-2004, 06:44 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99CivicExCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump for what the hi/lo converter does specifically and how the wiring works....4 wires go in...4 come out with an additional for amp??? hows it workrrrrrkkk...thanx forall the help thus far</TD></TR></TABLE> No, 4 wires in, [parallel off the speakers] and one set of RCAs out. also a good "hi/lo converter" will have "gain controls" to match output of HU to amp 94
Old 08-11-2004, 06:45 AM

NO, the converter is only for your audio signal. 4 wires go in from the back of the radio and then they come out as RCA ready for your cable. The amp turn on you can get it from the HU (blue wire, IGN, etc.) or Accessories at fuse box.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:10 AM

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP (Eric's R)

cool thanx guys