Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Multiplex Box Location in 00 Civic hatch

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 10:14 PM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Multiplex Box Location in 00 Civic hatch

Where's the multiplex box in a 99-00 Civic hatch? Also are the 96-00 all the same?

I'm posting in here also cuz for one, no one seems to know in the Civic forum and two, it seems like a lot of people fry these when installing audio stuff.

Background info. My dash doesn't light up and neither does my climate control stuff, but all the stuff on my dash like the turning and signal stuff works. My friend had the exact same problem and he went to honda and they found it out was a bad multiplex box. And yes I already replaced all my fuses and such.

TIA
Old 02-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Multiplex Box Location in 00 Civic hatch (DFW)

never heard of one of thoses, I would go thru and check all of your fuses thou. That what mostly happens in honda's when people are installing stuff. What were you working on when theses problems started?
Old 02-03-2006, 07:39 AM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Multiplex Box Location in 00 Civic hatch (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">never heard of one of thoses, I would go thru and check all of your fuses thou. That what mostly happens in honda's when people are installing stuff. What were you working on when theses problems started? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nothing, the car came like that
Old 02-03-2006, 09:00 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Multiplex Box Location in 00 Civic hatch (DFW)

I also have not heard of a "multiplex box".
I am looking at the wiring diagram for the 96-98 Honda Civic, there is no indication of any kind of "box" controlling the dash lights, other then the "Dash Lights Brightness Controller", [dimmer] all the light bulbs in your cluster, buttons and heater control have 2 wires going to them, one is a red/black, it is the 12V+ from fuse 30-7.5A, [in under dash fuse box, 96-98] hot when light switch in on park and head lights.
The other wire, red, comes from the "DLBC" and it supplies the ground to the bulb, and how much ground it supplies determines how "bright" the lights are.

So the first thing I would do is check the fuse, [you have already done that and you say it's OK or changed] and still no lights, the next thing to do is pull the "DLBC", dimmer switch and check the wiring, there are 3 wires going to it, the red/black, it should have 12V+ on it when the light switch is on, the black, it should show ground all the time, the red, it will show a ground when control turned all the way "up" and less and less ground as you turn it down, you can check the light circuit by unplugging the "DLBC" and then grounding the red wire to any ground point in the car, [chassis] and then turning on the lights, if the dash lights work there is a problem with the "DLBC" or the ground wire going to it, to test it, after seeing the lights work when you ground the red wire to chassis, ground the red wire to the black wire in the plug, if lights still work replace the "DLBC", if they do not work when grounding the red to the black in the plug then there is a problem with the ground.
Now my diagram shows the black ground going to the under dash fuse box then out to a junction connector to ground, no indication that it is somehow connected in the fuse box, [and should not be] or that it goes to the "Integrated Control Unit", [mounted at the back of under dash fuse box, and see no reason it should be connected to it either], although maybe that's what they are calling the "multiplex box".

Anyway, try the above tests, [grounding the red wire to chassis then to the black wire] 94
Old 02-03-2006, 05:51 PM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Multiplex Box Location in 00 Civic hatch (fcm)

^Thanks, you're so helpful

I'll try/check those things out probably t/m or Sunday when I get some time