Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

JL Audio 300/4 amp

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JL Audio 300/4 amp

I'm thinking of picing one up to run my componants. Is there another amp out there that I should consider?
Old 06-02-2002, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JL Audio 300/4 amp (Ddub)

No.

Old 06-03-2002, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: JL Audio 300/4 amp (dc24me)

US Acoustics USX-4085 - I bought this one instead of the JL a few weeks back. Crutchfield has them on sale for $189.99.

There isn't much difference as far as I could tell besides the JL name (big deal lol).

Old 06-04-2002, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JL Audio 300/4 amp (SinkingJar)

There isn't much difference as far as I could tell besides the JL name (big deal lol).
well i think believe the JL is a digital amp with wat they call RIPs or something that puts out a consistant amount of power no matter wat ohm load.

Old 06-04-2002, 09:52 AM

Default Re: JL Audio 300/4 amp (TKBLAZER)

Yep, the JLs have RIPS but I didn't feel it was worth the extra ~$175.00 for it.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:53 AM
New User

Yes it has the RIPS system...it means constant power at both any load between 1.5 and 4 ohms as well as between 11.5 and 15V
Old 06-04-2002, 11:38 AM

Default Re: JL Audio 300/4 amp (Ddub)

any heard of precision power -power class??????????? jl is the **** for d class performance! mids highs ppi all day long!!!!!
Old 06-04-2002, 12:53 PM

Default Re: JL Audio 300/4 amp (4gvtec)

any heard of precision power -power class??????????? jl is the **** for d class performance! mids highs ppi all day long!!!!!
um no....

power is power is power. as long as 2 amps make the same amount of clean power, youll never be able to tell the difference between them. an amp doesnt have SQ, all it does is amplify the signal its given. anyway...

The 300/4 is a fine 75x4 amp, but a little more pricey compared to alot of other amps that make the same amount of power.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:55 PM

well i think believe the JL is a digital amp with wat they call RIPs or something that puts out a consistant amount of power no matter wat ohm load.
yeah it does have the RIPs system, but it isnt a "digital" amp.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:58 PM
New User

Default Re: JL Audio 300/4 amp (RodeoSS)

um no....

power is power is power. as long as 2 amps make the same amount of clean power, youll never be able to tell the difference between them. an amp doesnt have SQ, all it does is amplify the signal its given. anyway...

The 300/4 is a fine 75x4 amp, but a little more pricey compared to alot of other amps that make the same amount of power.
Have you been listening to Richard Clark again...if that were the case then put together a road gear system and win IASCA...there's more to it then just power.
Old 06-04-2002, 07:26 PM

Default Re: JL Audio 300/4 amp (rcurley55)

thanks rcurley55!
Old 06-04-2002, 08:12 PM

um no....

Have you been listening to Richard Clark again...if that were the case then put together a road gear system and win IASCA...there's more to it then just power.
if I was wrong someone would be $10000 richer. if a road gear amp were to make 200watts, and a zapco amp makes 200watts, on the same sub/speaker, you wont be able to tell a difference. why do you think you would be able to? any amp that adds "coloring" to the music is a messed up amp. the problem is that anything made by road gear isnt gonna put out anywhere near its rated power. if two amps were tested to make the same amount of power, they will both sound the same. its been proven...
Old 06-04-2002, 08:20 PM

ever heard of dampening factor?
Old 06-04-2002, 08:36 PM

ever heard of dampening factor?
you need some help if you actually think that the dampening factor is a spec to look at when considering amps. The damping factor relys on the total circuit impedance of the speakers the amp is powering. Impedance changes from many things, how many speakers are wired in series or parallel, enclosure size and type, and even at which frequency is being played through the speaker at any given moment. Damping factors can run from 0 to well over 1000. Basically a damping factor rating over 20 is widely known to be fine, which is every amp Ive ever seen.

the question is, have you ever heard of "dampening factor"...
Old 06-04-2002, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JL Audio 300/4 amp (SinkingJar)

If you bought a US Acoustics amp over a JL Audio amp, it is definitely a better choice for your needs.

Old 06-04-2002, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Richard Clark is a dumbass. It was funny seeing Eric Holdaway ripping him apart asking about supposive modifications to the GN his claimed to have done himself in Carsound.com

His a/b amplifer test is full of **** too. I heard you're supposed to listen to the two amps with pink noise or something.

[Modified by dc24me, 12:50 AM 6/5/2002]
Old 06-04-2002, 08:53 PM

Default Re: JL Audio 300/4 amp (dc24me)

Richard Clark is a dumbass. It was funny seeing Eric Holdaway ripping him apart asking about supposive modifications to the GN his claimed to have done himself in Carsound.com

His a/b amplifer test is full of **** too. I heard you're supposed to listen to the two amps with pink noise or something.

[Modified by dc24me, 12:50 AM 6/5/2002]
lol tru, but about this he is right. why listen to pink noise?? who listens to that... I listen to music. power is power is power. no one can dispute that. amps simply dont have "their own SQ".
Old 06-04-2002, 08:55 PM
New User

I've read his rules, and they are so stacked in his favor he can't lose.

check this out:

2. Amplifiers will be powered from the same power supply at a nominal 14
volts DC. (any voltage is OK as long as it is the same for both amps)
5. That all amplifiers with signal processors have those circuits bypassed.
This includes bass boost circuits, filters, etc. If frequency tailoring
circuits cannot be completely bypassed an equalizer will be inserted in the
signal path of one (only one and the listener can decide which) of the amps
to compensate for the difference. Compensation will also be made for input
and output loading that affects frequency response. Since we are only
listening for differences in the sonic signature of circuit topology, the
addition of an EQ in one signal path only should make the test even easier
9. That neither amp has excessive physical noise or other indicators that
can be observed by the listener.
11. The amplifier power up and/or power down sequence will not be acceptable
for comparison. (The turn on/off noises of some amplifiers would give it
away.)
So take a look at a few of the rules, and tell me if that is in fact a real world test of what happens in a car. It's not. The above are all reasons we buy amplifiers and why we would like to use them...how many of us use the internal crossovers on an amp? Most of us probably...half? Until the advent of heads w/built in x-overs I would say most. The quality of that crossover important to you? It's design? Not it's features, or tweakability, but it's design. Turn on/off thump...humming, noise, etc..sound like cheaper amps.

We all know that amps are not supposed to "sound" like anything. But if all amps "sounded" the same, then why to highlevel brands exist? Simply for marketing sake...I don't think so. If this were the fact, companies would buy cheap *** over seas amps, pop them in pretty little heatsinks and slap a huge price tag on them.

He even equalizes the bias between channels...now if I want an amp, I want it to have perfectly matched channels. I'm willing to bet that a better built amp, with higher tolerance (read more expesive) components in it will do a better job out of the box.

It's not smoke and mirrors folks...there are fundamental differences between amps when they are used in an actual car that cause them to perform differently. I'm talking real world functioning, not a double blind a/b test in some room.

IMO...again, it's just mine, you get what you pay for. I'm sorry, but I don't buy into the challenge.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:04 PM

that challenge is fair.

the crossovers must be the same settings because that can be a dead give away. the 18db/octave isnt higher quality than the 12db, just different. also, most amps bass boost does it at different frequencies, which could be a give away. turn on noise, again that is a give away, and has nothing to do with the SQ of an amp.

so your tellin me an amp has "SQ", even tho u couldnt tell it from another amp on the same settings/ power levels? are you on crack?? you just have no foundation for anything your saying. many ppl like u believe that you get what u pay for, and that since u dropped more $ on an amp it will sound better than a cheaper amp that makes the same power. its all in ur head...
Old 06-04-2002, 09:14 PM
New User

that challenge is fair.

the crossovers must be the same settings because that can be a dead give away. the 18db/octave isnt higher quality than the 12db, just different. also, most amps bass boost does it at different frequencies, which could be a give away. turn on noise, again that is a give away, and has nothing to do with the SQ of an amp.

so your tellin me an amp has "SQ", even tho u couldnt tell it from another amp on the same settings/ power levels? are you on crack?? you just have no foundation for anything your saying. many ppl like u believe that you get what u pay for, and that since u dropped more $ on an amp it will sound better than a cheaper amp that makes the same power. its all in ur head...
Where did I say an amp has "SQ"? They are not supposed to...I think we both agree on that point.

The problem is that most people don't understand what RC is trying to do with his test...he wants to prove that a watt is a watt. Simple. I can agree with that - how about you? I just want to make sure that we are discussing the same thing here.

The problem enters as you insert other pieces into the signal path.

How do I have no foundation....Richard Clark takes a dynamic environment (a car) and makes it very static. For scientific testing purposes - this is fine, but this is the real world. Who can sit there and perfectly match channels....they are what they are out of the box for most people who purchase amps.

He will reequalize outputs to compensate for things placed in the signal path that can't be removed....that is a colorization that he removes from an amplifier!!! You couldn't sit down and do the same thing if you just unbolted one amp, and popped in another. Now we both said that colorization is what we don't want in our amplifiers.

For what he is trying to prove, he's right. Saying that all amps sound exactly the same - sorry, I don't buy it, and I don't buy his challenge.

Car audio is ruled by the law of diminishing returns.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:20 PM

Damping
The mechanical resistance that is applied to a speaker cone to keep it from resonating in the absence of an input signal. It is also the factor that is applied as a control voltage by the amplifier for the same purpose. These measures help reduce Harmonic Distortion. This also controls bass accuracy. Usually the higher the number, the better, although it is debatable if anything over 50 is audible. Damping factor is calculated by dividing the load (speaker) impedance by the output impedance of the amplifier. Thus, a given amplifier’s damping factor will decrease as the speaker’s impedance decreases. This means an amp optimized at 4 ohms will provide tighter bass than at 2 ohms.

so your telling me on say a jl 10w3 in a sealed encloser.with a jl 250.1 amp and a roadgear 250 watt amp,in sound quality between the two you could not hear the diff? you need help then........................

dont want to argue,but my best friends has had a shop for 6 years.he carries mtx,eclipse,mb quart,jl audio and clarion..

[Modified by 4gvtec, 6:23 AM 6/5/2002]
Old 06-04-2002, 09:21 PM

im unsure what ur saying. yes if use the bass bost on an amp that does it @ 40hz, it would make it sound different than another amp of the same power, that boost the frequency at 50Hz. but that is 2 different signals, not the same ones. what im saying:

2 amps that are amplifying the same signal (assuming same power output) will sound so closely to the same you wouldnt be able to tell the difference.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:23 PM

so your telling me on say a jl 10w3 in a sealed encloser.with a jl 250.1 amp and a roadgear 250 watt amp,in sound quality between the two you could not hear the diff? you need help then........................
yes, assuming the road gear amp actually puts out 250 undistored watts. if they both make the same amount of clean power, you simply cant tell the difference. you have no arguement, watts are watts.

[Modified by RodeoSS, 6:23 AM 6/5/2002]
Old 06-04-2002, 09:25 PM

dont want to argue,but my best friends has had a shop for 6 years.he carries mtx,eclipse,mb quart,jl audio and clarion..

whats ur point?

im not arguing, im straight up telling you that ur wrong. im not sayin road gear amps are good quality, they cant meet their power ratings, and im sure wont last very long.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:28 PM

ok,i see your point.your right,two amps same power yes,allmost impossible to tell apart.

Quick Reply: JL Audio 300/4 amp