Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Ignition noise problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition noise problem!

I installed an MSD box in my car (again) and have serious noise coming thru my speakers. If you've ever seen an MSD box display, it sounds just like that. You can actually hear the box firing. Now a few years ago I had installed an MSD box and had noise, but not this bad. I used a power filter on the head unit and it took care of that, but this time it did not help.

I also just installed a new (new to me, got it from my cousin) amp. This problem happens only when you have more than one set of RCAs connected. My buddy that does stereos for a living said they had to set up a common ground between the amp and the head unit when this amp was in my cousin's truck because even without the MSD he also had ignition noise. We tried this on mine but it no worky.

I know MSD makes a power filter for their boxes, costs about $35, but does anybody else have a "free" or cheaper solution? I just got done spending tons of money on a new stereo and I hate to have to spend even more.
_______
Old 10-11-2002, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ignition noise problem! (Hatchblack)

If you want to get rid of the ignition noise that is being induced by the ignition system then do what I did. Simply run a power wire directly to the battery for your constant power source, then use a relay for your switched power source for the radio. Since it is the only thing on that circuit, your audio system will be dead quiet