Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

HID lighting

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: HID lighting (mnaines)

mnaines, I don't know if you're a silverstar rep or what, but your statements are totally ignorant. Ignorant meaning you have not compared silverstar hologens to true HIDs in person. I had the silverstars for about a year. There is no noticeable difference between them and the stock bulbs. They have a blue tint for looks only and this actually decreases their light output. If you get their european version (osram), they are the same but without the blue tint. I installed them w/out ever touching the glass and even cleaned them exactly as the directions stated. After about a year, one burned out and then the other one a few months later. Luckily I kept the stock bulbs and put them back in. They've been fine for another year.

HIDs are a completely different animal. Once you've driven a car with a good HID setup, you will never compare them to standard headlights.

Yes you pay a lot for a true HID setup, but if you compromise the cost, you compromise the quality. Good HID retrofits are very uncommon and very expensive. But if you love your car and you drive in the dark, you'll never regret it.

Sorry if I reiterated anything. I read the whole first page but not the second or third.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Default Re: HID lighting (suspendedHatch)

mnaines.........omg this guy is back. The guy that stood by saying sony is the best car audio gear on the plant. Then said he uses mtx amps. Wasted some guys poor thread with wasted faxs. That he copied and paste from a sony website. I looked man and it was word for word. A couple of things changed. And again your doing the same thing. All I am going to say is most cops or hp will not mess with you if you set up your lights right. Not just throw in the car. I carry kaixian units and they sell great and last more then bulbs. They don't produce heat light aftermarket bulbs do that melt the factory wires and damage the light harness. If your driving around with bright purple hid's or dark blue hid's, or yellow ones on a 91 civic or teg or accord and they did not come from a dealership like that, expect a ticket or harrasment or what ever you want to call it. If your driving with the right temperture that gives a stock looking light (white) or barley a hit of blue. You most likely won't be messed with. I haven't had a problem with any of my customer that took my advice on them. And yes I shipped some to ky and they have not complained.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You godda be ****** kidding me, someone is comparing a halogen bulb to HID?
Old 12-06-2006, 07:02 AM

this has gotten out of hand. how do you get confused between the two. they are two completely different bulbs and set ups
Old 12-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (silkcivic)

mnaines please stop spreading misinformation. For anyone who needs some real information on hid lighting and retrofits etc, please check out http://www.hidplanet.com/forums

And just so you're aware, hid high beams are legal. Do a quick google search for the term "bi-xenon".
Old 12-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID lighting (mnaines)

the fact is you were trying to say you had HID's and thought you actually FIT an HID bulb into a stock bulb harness! lolol that **** cracks me up, thanks for the laugh
Old 12-09-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Re: HID lighting (Tampa94lsteg)

i think mr. mis-informed ran away
Old 12-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID lighting (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HIDs are a completely different animal. Once you've driven a car with a good HID setup, you will never compare them to standard headlights.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh so true. Whenever I drive my gf's civic the light output is so horrible it makes me not want to drive it. Aftering owning my s2000, I REALLY REALLY dont know how I got a long with my old conventional halogen bulbs in my past civic, crx, and integra.

The difference is NIGHT AND DAY. And just because they produce the same temp doesnt mean they produce the same light output. Anyways, I was actually hoping mnaines would post some more because I really got a kick out of his posts LOL
Old 12-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C_EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jeez... Since you're the only one in Kansas, you're the only one who really cares. Enough already...

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-10-2006, 09:14 PM

Default Re: (cw.tech)

Its easy to get confused about auto lighting and that goes for salesmen too. There are Xenon and halogen incadescent bulbs and HID is often called simply Xenon by dealers. All the halogen lights on ebay say HID on them. To make matters worse they estimate the light output in watts and print that on the labels. A nice mess for anyone to sort out.

The reason aftermarket HID is illegal is because they are often installed into headlight assemblies that fling the glare everywhere. Those assemblies were originally designed for "dim" halogen bulbs. At the very least you need a blacked-out assembly to avoid the glare and adjust the cutoff down as best as you can.

A properly setup HID install is less blinding to oncoming drivers than halogen but provides much more illumination for the driver. That is the purpose of a sharp cutoff from the projector. HID is much safer and should be mandatory ;&gt;
Old 12-11-2006, 04:04 AM

Default Re: (00FBPSi)

Unless the car is equipped with HIDs from the factory, you'll run into legal issues if you try to install aftermarket HID kits...Not to mention the added cost of doing the conversion...I don't know exactly how they measure the luminoscity of headlights, but I can say this: The Sylvania Silverstars can light up roughly the same area as HIDs light up, but HIDs are much brighter, so while HIDs provide more visibility on clear nights, they are actually quite worthless in fog or thick snow because all that light will blind the person using them. In terms of how much area both types will illuminate, its about the same (1/4 mile at best for both Sylvania and HID setups), but in terms of amount of light and overall visibility, then you have to deal with other factors, like the local ambient light level (if its pitch-black darkness, then HIDs would be too bright because your eyes would actually adjust the wrong way and reduce your ability to see), the weather conditions (HID lights will blind the user in fog or thick snowstorms), and dealing with people and parked vehicles that are dark colored (dark colors do not reflect light very well, so even with HIDs, you won't see pedestrians in dark clothing or dark-colored vehicles parked on the side of the road until you get close to them).

Honestly, I do think HIDs are a little too bright for some people's eyes. I know they would be for my eyes. I have very good vision at night, but only if I don't have to deal with bright lights, like car headlights or street lights. More often than not, all it takes is the light reflecting off the moon to give me enough light to see at night. Both my vision and hearing are overdeveloped because of my autism, so I can't handle bright lights or loud noises. I can see as good during the day as I can on a good night. I don't need anything to increase my vision, and the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra headlights are bright enough to achieve the 1,000 feet minimum range as required by city ordinance while at the same time being dim enough not to blind me. In fact, one thing I like about the Silverstars compared to true HIDs is that the beams from the silverstars are almost invisible; all I see is the light from the Silverstars reflecting off street signs (I aimed mine so I can see the signs with street names/numbers on them at a far enough distance I would have time to slow down and make the turn), car taillight reflectors, and any reflecting things pedestrians wear at night. Other than that, they are almost invisible to the user's naked eye, and IMO, are much better for visibility purposes because they don't cause your eyes to adjust like HID lights do...HID headlights are so bright, all that light causes your pupils to shrink, thereby reducing the amount of light that gets in and reducing your ability to see at night. At night, you want your pupils to dilate as much as possible to let in as much light as possible without any assistance. If you want an idea of the kind of low-light situations I can see in, go into a dark room or go outside in a very dark area with nothing but the light from the moon as assistance, let your eyes adjust, then try comparing the visibility in that situation with the visibility from HID headlights and tell me which one is better. By the way, here's a hint on how bright the Sylvania Silverstars are: Go outside at night during a full moon and keep away from any other light sources...The light reflecting off the moon will light up that dark area with the same amount of light the Sylvania Silverstars produce.

I do not know this for certain, but I think the luminoscity of the Sylvania Silverstars is 500,000 candlepower while the luminoscity of HID headlights is 1 Million to 2 Million candlepower, but as I said, I am not sure on those numbers.

Back to what 00FBPSi was saying about the confusion...Sylvania Silverstar headlights say right on the box "The LOOK of HID; 20% brighter than standard halogens, 25% more area lit up, and 30% longer lifetime than standard halogens"

Here in Kansas City, it doesn't matter what kind of headlights you have; as long as they can illuminate everything up to 1,000 feet in front of your car, then they are considered "street legal" here in my hometown. The Sylvania Silverstars, like HIDs, have a 1/4-mile maximum range, so long as I can see things that distance away with the Silverstars, I'm staying with the Silverstars.

Modified by mnaines at 7:59 AM 12/11/2006
Old 12-11-2006, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can this thread please die?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, let's not let this die. This guy is a moron. You can just stop coming into this thread if you want.

There is no noticeable difference between silverstars and oem bulbs.

Where do you get all this bullshit about HIDs? Why don't you do us all a favor and rent a car that has HIDs? Do us all a favor and go driving at night with no headlights at all.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Can this thread please die? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do us all a favor and go driving at night with no headlights at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like he's done this pretty often since he knows just how the light reflects off the moon at night...
Old 12-11-2006, 09:13 AM
NASIOC.com

yes please... kill the op... lol
Old 12-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Default Re: (mnaines)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mnaines &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> (if its pitch-black darkness, then HIDs would be too bright because your eyes would actually adjust the wrong way and reduce your ability to see), the weather conditions (HID lights will blind the user in fog or thick snowstorms),

By the way, here's a hint on how bright the Sylvania Silverstars are: Go outside at night during a full moon and keep away from any other light sources...The light reflecting off the moon will light up that dark area with the same amount of light the Sylvania Silverstars produce.

I'm staying with the Silverstars.

Modified by mnaines at 7:59 AM 12/11/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. you really got to be kidding So your going to say when I was in the glamis this weekend. In the middle of the dunes, in pitch black. That my hid on my quad was to bright? And I could not see anything. wtf was I seeing? My lights lit up everything and it was like day light, So my eyes were playing tricks on me? rofl at you

now your saying that silverstars are the same as moonlight? Are you joking. People would be driving with no headlights then. Hell I can't even see shyt on the ground with moonlight.

Yep buddy stick with your lights you seem to have a great pair.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:56 AM

Default Re: (mnaines)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mnaines &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honestly, I do think HIDs are a little too bright for some people's eyes. I know they would be for my eyes. I have very good vision at night, but only if I don't have to deal with bright lights, like car headlights or street lights. More often than not, all it takes is the light reflecting off the moon to give me enough light to see at night. Both my vision and hearing are overdeveloped because of my autism, so I can't handle bright lights or loud noises. I can see as good during the day as I can on a good night. I don't need anything to increase my vision, and the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra headlights are bright enough to achieve the 1,000 feet minimum range as required by city ordinance while at the same time being dim enough not to blind me. In fact, one thing I like about the Silverstars compared to true HIDs is that the beams from the silverstars are almost invisible; all I see is the light from the Silverstars reflecting off street signs (I aimed mine so I can see the signs with street names/numbers on them at a far enough distance I would have time to slow down and make the turn), car taillight reflectors, and any reflecting things pedestrians wear at night. Other than that, they are almost invisible to the user's naked eye, and IMO, are much better for visibility purposes because they don't cause your eyes to adjust like HID lights do...HID headlights are so bright, all that light causes your pupils to shrink, thereby reducing the amount of light that gets in and reducing your ability to see at night. At night, you want your pupils to dilate as much as possible to let in as much light as possible without any assistance. If you want an idea of the kind of low-light situations I can see in, go into a dark room or go outside in a very dark area with nothing but the light from the moon as assistance, let your eyes adjust, then try comparing the visibility in that situation with the visibility from HID headlights and tell me which one is better. By the way, here's a hint on how bright the Sylvania Silverstars are: Go outside at night during a full moon and keep away from any other light sources...The light reflecting off the moon will light up that dark area with the same amount of light the Sylvania Silverstars produce.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to take a course on optics and one on sensation and perception. When you actually understand how the eye works, then you can talk about HID's being too bright causing the eye to close. What you just said was complete bullshit. I'm not even going to bother correcting you becuase it doesnt matter what the 15 other people say on this board, you think you're right.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here in Kansas City, it doesn't matter what kind of headlights you have; as long as they can illuminate everything up to 1,000 feet in front of your car, then they are considered "street legal" here in my hometown. The Sylvania Silverstars, like HIDs, have a 1/4-mile maximum range, so long as I can see things that distance away with the Silverstars, I'm staying with the Silverstars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm still waiting for you to prove that law.

Modified by mnaines at 7:59 AM 12/11/2006[/QUOTE]
Old 12-12-2006, 12:45 PM

I got these off ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...h=017

great seller, h4 cut-off shields included, everything works great

only $260 shipped, pnp
Old 12-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SirSmokesAlot)

Match those with some clear housings ie TYC projectors, and you'd have something.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:10 AM

Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Match those with some clear housings ie TYC projectors, and you'd have something.</TD></TR></TABLE>

they're D2R bulbs, so they don't need a projector.

think of the late-90's TL's and IS300's, they used reflector housings with HID's
Old 12-15-2006, 08:25 PM

i just read 4 pages of this , it wuz great , thanks u to all that were involved.mnaines please do ur hw,
Old 12-27-2006, 09:33 PM

Default Re: (Bignel00)

Someone just needs to quit in the game of life...

I'm glad I found this thread when I searched "HID". Gave me quality entertainment for half an hour or so.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Trial User

Default Re: HID lighting

Holy sht. Why doesn't everybody just do research before they continue fighting?

The only legal HID lights are the factory installed ones. We're talking low beams. This is because factory HIDs are usually around 4300K, never going over 6000K. The more kelvins a light has means the more color. It also means decreased lumens, in which there is even a minimum legal amount you must have (3200?). But obviously, if you get pulled over by a cop for your headlights, they check using simpler methods. Some cops will just put a white piece of paper in front of your lights, if it turns blue then you get fined. No, I've never been fined for that, I just know it. The color is a distraction to other drivers, as is the crazy glares from people who don't use proper reflectors. Factory HIDs can take care of all of that.

Now I'm not supporting either side, I'm simply stating why non-factory HID lights are illegal. This means if one wants to save some money, and also play it on the safe side, then Silverstars are simply the NEXT best thing to go with.

And obviously people will still keep making HIDs. That was a ridiculous statement EBP -- you think just because they're illegal people will stop making them? Is that the world we live in? Wake up. Tint shops sell you any kind of tint you want for your car windows, but that doesn't mean that any visibility degree is legal.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID lighting

way to rehash a 4 YEAR OLD thread.

Quick Reply: HID lighting