Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

do mids need airspace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do mids need airspace?

i have all my mids sealed to the bone the least space possible, they are in 'tubes' screwed onto the door and in the back

would they sound better IB?
Old 05-11-2004, 10:25 PM
New User

Default Re: do mids need airspace? (jordan-boxer)

yes
Old 05-11-2004, 10:40 PM

Default Re: do mids need airspace? (rcurley55)

ok ill get right on it, i guess i gotta bore the door panels

but there is metal behind the door panels! im fucked
Old 05-11-2004, 11:40 PM
New User

Yeah, mids need airspace. Just ask ATF-Kuk

BTW, you did not say what you thought of the sound. You may be able to get by with cutting a 1 inch hole in the enclosure to allow it to vent into the inner door.

For some reason I want to see the rest of that avatar
Old 05-12-2004, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do mids need airspace? (vteg)

They definately need airspace. I sealed mine with barely any space at all and stuffed them full of polyfill and it did not work out. There was a ton of very sharp midbass...but it was peaky. I converted mine to a-periodic instead of IB since I already had the beginings of it...an enclosure just large enough to house the driver and tons of clean power.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, mids need airspace. Just ask ATF-Kuk

BTW, you did not say what you thought of the sound. You may be able to get by with cutting a 1 inch hole in the enclosure to allow it to vent into the inner door.

For some reason I want to see the rest of that avatar </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, ill host the rest and post them somewhere, shes my ex

so a one inch hole could vent the air into the doors? like a cold air intake?

even that would be hard as its al metal behnd it and i cant f**k up the company jeep, oh well i guess ill have to jam 4 inch sony explod in the stock space in front of the door by my feet
Old 05-12-2004, 05:53 AM

Default Re: do mids need airspace? (georgelb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by georgelb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They definately need airspace. I sealed mine with barely any space at all and stuffed them full of polyfill and it did not work out. There was a ton of very sharp midbass...but it was peaky. I converted mine to a-periodic instead of IB since I already had the beginings of it...an enclosure just large enough to house the driver and tons of clean power. </TD></TR></TABLE>

whats a-periodic??
Old 05-12-2004, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is basicly a very small enclosure with a resistive port. You use some type of damping membrane over the port, usually spun fiberglass or a prefab AP mat, to control the rate of flow through the port, or opening. The goal is to get a flat impedance curve for more acurate sound reproduction, faster transients, and 'tighter' bass as opposed to 'boomy.'

With the really small sealed enclosures I was getting impedance spikes that were resulting in peaky sound.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:05 AM
New User

just to build on that, the resistive membrane can be placed either in the front or the rear of the cone. The rear is generally preferred, and leads to more ouput IIRC. An AP enclosure is not as efficient as a sealed or IB enclosure.

This is a different application then a vario-vent (from Dynaudio) but works on the same principle of helping the impedance curve.

if you look for steve cornell's impala site, it will show you how to build an AP setup. There is also a tutorial at elitecaraudio.com by Steve Head of AudioNutz where he put 10" OZ subs, AP'ed in the doors of a ford truck.

That's how I understand it atleast, so forgive any mistakes!
Old 05-12-2004, 09:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, mids need airspace. Just ask ATF-Kuk
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just built some kick panels this past weekend, it was sealed and it sounded like crap. i filled it with poly fill and it got a lil better but still sounds like ***. going to drill a hole today, see how that goes. if it still sounds like ***, im just going to cut the back open and have it fire into the carpet.

one way to get through metal is with a uni bit. it kinda looks like a christmas tree, each step of the bit will drill a bigger hole.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:24 AM
New User

Default Re: do mids need airspace? (ATF Kuk)

uni-bits are rad!!

a 1" hole into the carpet should clear things up a bit for your kicks...that's another thing I hate about two way front stages - trying to get midbass out of kicks can be a pita
Old 05-12-2004, 10:54 AM

well i seem to be very different from you guys cause i want absolutely NO bass out of ANY of my mids thats the subs job

my mids cant even play bass and i have the bass at -7 and even add mid range condensers if im not using a croosover to play them as high as possible

im getting the feeling that i am a dumb *** when it comes on to car audio!

does anyone else use their mids strictly for mids, or should i say highs oh man i feel dumb
Old 05-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your mids are designed to play bass...midbass.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:28 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by georgelb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your mids are designed to play bass...midbass. </TD></TR></TABLE>

they are? my eminence mids are designedto play mid bass? what plays mids? oh god
Old 05-12-2004, 11:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rcurley55 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uni-bits are rad!!

a 1" hole into the carpet should clear things up a bit for your kicks...that's another thing I hate about two way front stages - trying to get midbass out of kicks can be a pita</TD></TR></TABLE>
hopefully it will fix it. im wondering if i should keep the poly fill in after i drill the hole. make into a periodic setup. i will try both and see how things turn out
Old 05-12-2004, 12:35 PM
New User

Default Re: do mids need airspace? (ATF Kuk)

it can't be an aperiodic setup unless it vents to a separate volume then the front wave - similar to IB - but then again, I'm sure you know that, so I have no idea why I'm typing it other then teh fact that I'm really bored today and I didn't get enough sleep last night because of damn MBA classes are kicking my *** and I'm a procrastinator......

wow...too many red bulls at work

umm..like I was saying - I'd just leave the fill in there. I'd also recommend you line the baffle and the whole kick panel with a layer of non-hardening modeling clay - should help with any standing waves or resonance

Modified by rcurley55 at 2:12 PM 5/12/2004
Old 05-12-2004, 01:30 PM

yea im aware of the periodic setup, but thanx for explaining. aboutt he clay thing, i actually sprayed the inside of the kick panel with dynashield. im not sure if ur familiar with it, but basically it sprays a light foam, its not exactly hard, but its not exactly soft either, but anyhow, im going to try several different methods to fix it.