Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

DEI Viper (508D) Proximity Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEI Viper (508D) Proximity Sensor

It seems to be no matter how i adjust it , it always trigers FULL alarm and wont do the Warn away, why is that?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Re: DEI Viper (508D) Proximity Sensor (Jdmglenn)

Those things are a pain in the *** to adjust. First you have to make sure it is aligned with the car so that the two dials are on the front right corner. And it has to be somewhere in the middle of the car, not covered by any metal. Then you have to adjust the warn one first (I THINK it is the outermost one, but it has been a while). THEN once you get warn away at the right sensitivity, you can adjust the alarm trigger.

Turn them all the way back to the least sensitive (all the way loose), then work your way up on the warn one first. If you adjust the warn one after the trigger one it messes it up.

I don't have TONS of experience with these things but that might help a little bit...
Old 10-29-2006, 08:24 PM

Default Re: DEI Viper (whizdumb)

Oh yeah, one more thing I just remembered...

Turn the key onto ignition, then take it back out every couple of times it goes off. That way it resets the brain... if you keep on making it go off, it will become less and less sensitive, making it a lot harder for you to figure it out.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the thing though ,i turn them both counter clockwise , than i adjust the Warn away one just a tad bit, arm the alarm , wait a few seconds (around 20), go near the driver side window and the alarm sounds, never Warning me...i dont get it
Old 10-30-2006, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sensor sucks ***. I've adjusted the **** out of it and still was not happy with the results. I've installed a number of Crime Guard AU94T motion/proximity sensors and they work like magic once you have them dialed in.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEI Viper (suspendedHatch)

so am i pretty much screwed on trying to set it up to Warn instead of FULL trigger lol???
Old 10-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEI Viper (Jdmglenn)

we don t even bother with prox sensors anymore at my work, they just false all the time and are a pita to set up.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEI Viper (incubus)

aww come one haha , i dont wanna have to get a new sensor. if i undo the blue wire isnt that the FULL trigger, so then ill just have Warn away?
Old 10-30-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by incubus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we don t even bother with prox sensors anymore at my work, they just false all the time and are a pita to set up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry to hijack this thread but I was looking into a prox sensor, so if you don't use them at your shop do you just use the standard shock sensor?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEI Viper (CarbonizedDX)

its cool, someone please tell me how to adjust this pos haha
Old 10-30-2006, 07:50 PM

Where do you have the sensor mounted? And how is it oriented? You have it covered and all the way unsensitive and it still goes off if you walk up to it? You say you just turned it a "tad bit" -- how much is that? You should probably work your way up in 1 eighth turns.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a GOOD motion/proximity sensor: Crime Guard AU94T available from Crutchfield. It has worked miracles for my car and others I have installed it on. Perfect deterrent.

As for the poster, turn the sensitivity all the way down. Yes, if you clip the blue wire, you'll have no full trigger. Aren't you running the green wire looped to the blue wire? Which alarm are you using it on?

How that sensor works when the green wire is looped is that a very short pulse on the blue wire for warn and a longer pulse for trigger. So if the alarm doesn't work that way, it's going to full trigger on both a trigger and warn pulse.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you read the instructions that came with it? 1st thing it needs to be mounted with the tabs front to rear of vehicle, also it cannot be covered by metal. i find the best place to put these units is in the lid of a console armrest, or even better in the roof somewhere, centered in the vehicle. 2nd there are two adjustments. one of them adjusts pre warn and full trigger, and the second adjusts full trigger only. you need to turn both settings all the way down. you will have to arm and disarm, and reset ign. often. you will first need to adjust the warn/trigger adjustment first. once you arm the alarm you need to wait 20-30 sec.(5 sec. for other sensors) before testing the sensor. test/disarm/adjust/rearm as needed. you will need to reset ign after every 3rd full trigger. once you get warn where you want it, walk through warn and start checking trigger. then you turn up the trigger adjust to enlarge the trigger zone. use the same steps as before. also please note:dei does not state this in the manual for a 508d, you will only be informed of this at a dei training meeting. after 20 seconds of no motion being detected the 508d will expand its beams to cover a larger area. this is why most people get so pissed off because they set it and then its always falsing, because they dont know about the beams expanding, and dont wait for the expansion while adjusting. also from the problem you are describing you may be adjusting your adjustments backwards, setting trigger first. these sensor are a pain in the ***, but once you have one adjusted correctly, it can be a very reliable layer in your security. i install these at my work alot and never have them come back for falsing. we generally charge $80-$150 to install and setup these sensors so that they work correctly. hope this helps, oh and check out suspenedhatch's site on security, he's got some great stuff on there.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
As for the poster, turn the sensitivity all the way down. Yes, if you clip the blue wire, you'll have no full trigger. Aren't you running the green wire looped to the blue wire? Which alarm are you using it on?

How that sensor works when the green wire is looped is that a very short pulse on the blue wire for warn and a longer pulse for trigger. So if the alarm doesn't work that way, it's going to full trigger on both a trigger and warn pulse.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Both the Green and Blue wire are going to the (blue multiplex) wire on my 791xv.

2. The only loop i remember is on the Shock sensor that came with the 791xv. It looked like this ( this is exactly how it came from Viper, had a green loose wire)
Old 10-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jdmglenn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1. Both the Green and Blue wire are going to the (blue multiplex) wire on my 791xv.

2. The only loop i remember is on the Shock sensor that came with the 791xv. It looked like this ( this is exactly how it came from Viper, had a green loose wire)
</TD></TR></TABLE>your harness in this pic is backwards. the loop goes at the sensor. the loose green wire is another input to the brain. the blue wire shows on your 791xv remote as sensor 1. the green wire shows as sensor 2 i wired my 508d to the blue and my 504d to the green. that way the first layer you get to(508d) shows as 1, the second layer(504d) shows as 2.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEI Viper (JSPECSIR)

oh ok, so it DOES matter which end the loop is on, the 791xv intructions didnt verify that for me.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEI Viper (CarbonizedDX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CarbonizedDX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sorry to hijack this thread but I was looking into a prox sensor, so if you don't use them at your shop do you just use the standard shock sensor?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes we no longer use them, the last time we did use them we had it hooked up to a hidden on/off switch (I would only even consider using a prox sensor on a convertible.)
We used to sell alpine alarms before they stopped making them, they had a really reliable prox sensor, but as far as I have found they are no longer available.
There are a number of things you can do in place of a shock sensor, but it really depends on how you are trying to protect your vehicle and what vehicle you have.

PM me if you need any help figuring out what you should do. I dont want to jack this thread. Layering is always a good idea.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If i connected the loose green wire to the looped green wire would the shock sensor be more sensitive? bc right now it dont seem too sensitive
Old 11-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The shock sensor sensitivity is adjustable. But unless you think someone is going to try and steal your car by ramming into it, you shouldn't even bother. You should invest in a tilt and/or glass breakage sensor instead of relying on the shock sensor.

You don't need to connect the loose green wire to the loop. Your alarm understands that a short pulse on the blue wire is a warn, and a long pulse on the blue wire is a trigger. It also understands a short pulse on the green wire as a warn. So it's redundant.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ohhh ok

thanks suspendedHatch
Old 11-05-2006, 10:09 PM

Okay, since we are on the topic of adjusting sensors...

i got sick and tired of the false alarms with that dei pos.. that i just disconnected it for now..

i have the glass and tilt sensor....

need to test the tilt :-/

but how do i setup the glass sensor?? what setting do i set it at?? cause i def can't test the sensor.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEI Viper (bpr0422)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but how do i setup the glass sensor?? what setting do i set it at?? cause i def can't test the sensor.</TD></TR></TABLE> hold a penny in your hand and tap on the glass with it.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEI Viper (JSPECSIR)

So would you guys suggest getting the DEI glass break sensor and tilt sensor in place of the shitty proximity sensor?

Also, is it possible to put the Avantgaurd proximity sensor on a Viper alarm?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Yes the glass break and tilt sensors are a good idea.

2. Sensors are universal really they can be wired in to any alarm, for full trigger you can just tap into any neg trigger, for a warning pulse you need to tap into the shock sensor wires.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kavehman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kavehman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. Yes the glass break and tilt sensors are a good idea.

2. Sensors are universal really they can be wired in to any alarm, for full trigger you can just tap into any neg trigger, for a warning pulse you need to tap into the shock sensor wires.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great, thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: DEI Viper (508D) Proximity Sensor