Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Compustar???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compustar???

The Custom Car shop I used to utilize shut down, but one of the installers that I know went to this other one, but I digress.

I was asking him if he could "stealth" install a Viper alarm, he said they don't do Vipers there, but he can do (he didn't specify stealth) a Compustar LCD Remote alarm.

So are they any good? Anything I should be worried about?

I'll have to ask him what model it is...

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Compustar??? (94WhtTeg)

Ya ask him how to put the compustar in valet mode you will laugh.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes it is a very good alarm, and the valet mode is simply fixed with a hidden switch.
They also have better range then the DEIs 94
Old 11-07-2007, 06:20 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Compustar??? (fcm)

Lets not turn this into a pissing contest.

They are good alarms and highly recommended by many. The alarm is only as good as the installer though!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Compustar??? (White Smoke)

Well he said they can do the "stealth" install, and a backup battery, that's something I guess heh...
Old 11-07-2007, 07:20 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

I guess... lol I don't trust many, thats why I do everything myself.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:46 AM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lets not turn this into a pissing contest.</TD></TR></TABLE>??????
Old 11-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure who was pissing lol...

Anyways, it's the;

CompuStar 2WSHR

Without the remote start as my car is a 5 speed...

Where is a good placement for the back up battery for the alarm as well?

Question: the 2w900fm (a) alarm, would that be a better one to go with?

Modified by 94WhtTeg at 5:11 PM 11/7/2007
Old 11-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What he is saying that there needs to be a lil switch added to the mixs to bring the compustar up to par. A real good alarm if it was not needed to be done. But still a good one. In the states customer service sucks. I had to many issues with them. It had a member upset with me- Sorry nsx. The alarm is only gonna be as good as the install.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">??????</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm equally stumped.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What It had a member upset with me- Sorry nsx. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I never plan for something and not have a backup plan so no big deal I was always covered. I ended up not needing it anyway. I dont get upset easily lifes too short.

Compustar customer service does suck though. I dont think I would buy another one.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:14 AM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94WhtTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not sure who was pissing lol...

Anyways, it's the;

CompuStar 2WSHR

Without the remote start as my car is a 5 speed...

Where is a good placement for the back up battery for the alarm as well?

Question: the 2w900fm (a) alarm, would that be a better one to go with?

Modified by 94WhtTeg at 5:11 PM 11/7/2007</TD></TR></TABLE> 2WSHR, is a model number for a remote control, 2W900FM-A is an alarm, and a good one, Compustar remote starts are compatable with standard transmissions.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What he is saying that there needs to be a lil switch added to the mixs to bring the compustar up to par.</TD></TR></TABLE> You mean like a hidden valet switch like other alarms have?

I keep hearing that, [poor customer service] down in the US, I just do not get it, Compustar is a US company, based in the US, I have never had any problems with customer service, on the contrary, it is one of the reasons I like Compustar, If I have a problem, I call tech support, at our local distributor, if they can't help, I get directly connected to Firstech in Kent, WA, and if a solution is not found, an "OK" to replace unit is given on the spot, I don't understand how it can be so good up here and so bad down there. 94
Old 11-08-2007, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Weird, he said that it was a 2wshr without the remote start...

I always heard remote starts are more trouble than they are worth, has that changed?

Where should I tell them to put the backup battery?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

The bad thing about remote starter systems is that it leaves a trail back to the alarm. If you can get around this problem (yes it is possible) then are set. Just be sure to have another kill isolated from any remote start relays that way if they find them they still will not be able to start the car.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:22 AM
fcm
Old Fart

The "r" at the end designates it as a remote control, the alarm would be a 2WSHLCD-A, -S for starter and -AS for alarm/remote start combo unit.

All Comustar remote starts are manual transmission capable, unless a jumper lead is cut, [for automatic transmissions] a "ready mode" must be used so car will remotely start, both door trigger and "E" brake must be connected for "ready mode" to work.
A backup batt. on any remote start is a bit of a problem though, I normally install a backup batt. siren instead. 94
Old 11-08-2007, 05:07 PM
i ♥ snails

ive had good luck with my compustar alarm, it has excellent range, i had a problem with it holding the remote programming for more than a day or two but now it seems to work just fine. I want a glass breakage sensor.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

whats the deal with remote starts & a backup battery?

my 520t burnt out after like 6 months...
Old 11-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The alarm is only as good as the installer though!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

true. compustars are great otherwise!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:36 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Default Re: (tha_badguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tha_badguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the deal with remote starts & a backup battery?

my 520t burnt out after like 6 months...</TD></TR></TABLE>
How did you have the 520T connected to the remote start, and what remote start do you have?

The 520T was designed to power an alarm system, not a remote start system. 94
Old 11-09-2007, 04:54 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Default Re: (fcm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A backup batt. on any remote start is a bit of a problem though, I normally install a backup batt. siren instead. 94</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was a little confused about this myself... How is it a problem?
The remote start systems I'm used to certainly don't get the power from the alarm power wire which is the only power the BUB supports.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tha_badguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the deal with remote starts & a backup battery?
my 520t burnt out after like 6 months...</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think the battery's are just not the greatest. I've heard all the 520T's off ebay are trash. Where did you pick yours up from.

I am thinking about adding one of these or similar to replace the 520t battery but I have to research with DEI to make sure that there BUB module/charging circuit will support this. Until I find out for sure I am just sticking with the battery that came with my 520t.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (White Smoke)

Would I be better off buying an alarm (compustar) off ebay?

Looks like I can get it off ebay for ~$80 cheaper than what he quoted the price of the alarm...

Any warranty problems that I can run into if I buy off ebay?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:56 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Default Re: (94WhtTeg)

Compustar has no online authorized dealers, so now manufactuers warranty and no support...

Internet Sales Policy

With the current acceleration of online purchasing from privately owned websites, and websites such as eBay, we realize the temptation to make your Compustar purchase an online transaction. However, in an effort to ensure that our customers receive quality product and service, Firstech, LLC. does not condone or support Internet sales of any kind.

Firstech, LLC. will not offer warranty service or tech-support for online purchases. This is simply because the history of the product is unknown and we cannot guarantee its quality. The product may be missing parts, it could be used, or even damaged. In addition, if the product is not installed at one of our authorized installation locations, the quality of the install is questionable, and could damage the system or even your vehicle.

When you have your Compustar system purchased and installed at an authorized dealer, you will receive the full lifetime manufacturer’s warranty on the system as well as the authorized dealer’s guarantee on the installation. Firstech, LLC. has no control over the policies and procedures of the authorized dealers. Please check with your dealer for more information on the installation guarantee.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Also buying from eBay can be hazardous to your financial health, you do not know what you are getting, is it a refurb, a recalled for salvage or even a fake.

Stick with your local authorized dealer, you should get a lifetime warranty on the alarm and the install. 94

Old 11-09-2007, 06:05 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

And trust me 80$ is a DEAL for a lifetime warranty! Worth every cent.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (White Smoke)

Gotcha

But buying the 520t battery or the piezo siren on ebay would be ok right?
Old 11-09-2007, 07:35 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Buying anything on eBay is a risk, as you do not know what you are getting, now the piezo siren shouldn't be a problem but the DEI 520T backup batt. should be gotten at an authorized dealer for warranty, I believe there are a couple guys on this form that are authorized DEI dealers. 94
Old 11-09-2007, 08:00 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

I got all my accessories (NOT THE ALARM) off ebay, all but the 520t which I got from Desmon (wrx-killer-sti-eater). Like I said, I'v heard the BUB on ebay are all junk and don't hold the charge as necessary. It's always a risk on ebay, but it's one I am willing to take for certain things.

Quick Reply: Compustar???