Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

car alarm not working??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car alarm not working??

I have a 98 civic with a pretty basic factory car alarm on it, it basically only goes off if the doors are opened when it's armed.

I just noticed today that when I try to unlock my car with the remote, nothing happens. The remote still works because the little red light blinks when I push the button, but for some reason it's not affecting my car when I push any of the buttons.

I guess my question is, what are some possibilities of what could have happened, and what can I do to check these problems? I was thinking maybe my battery could have died, but my car was running fine a couple days ago. I'm afraid of unlocking my car using the keys in the case that somehow the alarm goes off and I have no way of turning it off. Any ideas?

Also, is it possible anyone could have tampered with it somehow? My house was vandalized recently and I've been paranoid that maybe they messed with my car too.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Re: car alarm not working?? (spEKkio)

Maybe, the transmitter got out of programming or for some reason the alarm's fuse blew up and it's not responding.

You gonna have to enter the vehicle by using the key. The installer should left a valet switch from where you can shut off the alarm in case you loose the remote or if the battery dies.

Look for a toggle switch, or push button, under the dash or on the kick panel by the driver's side.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car alarm not working?? (Eric's R)

Ok, I just went out there again and took a closer look at my car, and noticed that the alarm activation light inside my car isn't on or blinking, so I'm guessing it probably died or the fuse blew up as you suggested. I guess I'll try using the key and see what happens.

Thanks for the info!