Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Blown headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown headunit?

Today, I went to purchase a new drycell for my Accord, they told me to pull it into the shop to see if the one for the V6 would fit into my 2.3L, long story short, I let them install it, but to my dismay, they put the positive cable on the negative, and vice versa... It blew the battery relay / fuse (whatever its called), so they had to replace it, reconnected it again, blew it... they figured out they had the cable switched b/c my negative cable is red (doh, never planned on having anyone but myself service my battery). So they got a new fuse, and wah la, works, but now my cheap Kenwood CD player/radio doesn't turn on. I went to circuit city where I had it installed, and they tryed to reset it, and he checked all the fuses, but they were all fine. I'm supposed to be going in for an appointment sometime this week, but by any chance do any of you audio techies have an idea of what it might be so I can spare myself the trouble?

Cliffs - New battery, blown fuse, stereo "dead"
Old 09-04-2004, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Blown headunit? (jbiggsSE)

They put the cables on backwards? That is a big no-no. IMO you are lucky if all it blew up was the radio. You need to have your computer and alternator checked immediately. Who ever tried to install the battery should be buying you a new radio.

PS. What kind of moron reverses the cables without checking? They probably had the wrong battery , posts reversed, and had nothing to do with the cables.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Blown headunit? (Auex)

Have you checked the fuse panel in the engine compartment? What about by the driverside kick panel?

Check every one............
Old 09-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well what circuit city did was checked the driver side/passenger side door panel fuses, he said they were all good... I don't know if it matters the least bit, but I have my battery in my trunk, and about 10inches from the positive terminal on the battery, I have a 200a circuit breaker. (I know very little about electronics). But when they blew the battery fuse, the breaker flipped too, so I suppose thats the reason only my radio died... should I go back up the the place (National Tire / Battery) and have them look at it, or .... I'm not really too concerned about the headunit, afterall it was only a little crappy Kenwood 45w x4 unit (I only wanted it to have a CD player indash), so replacing it wouldn't be too awful for my wallet... any way, opinions / ideas welcomed. Thanks
Old 09-06-2004, 11:03 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: (jbiggsSE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbiggsSE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well what circuit city did was checked the driver side/passenger side door panel fuses, he said they were all good... I don't know if it matters the least bit, but I have my battery in my trunk, and about 10inches from the positive terminal on the battery, I have a 200a circuit breaker. (I know very little about electronics). But when they blew the battery fuse, the breaker flipped too, so I suppose thats the reason only my radio died... should I go back up the the place (National Tire / Battery) and have them look at it, or .... I'm not really too concerned about the headunit, afterall it was only a little crappy Kenwood 45w x4 unit (I only wanted it to have a CD player indash), so replacing it wouldn't be too awful for my wallet... any way, opinions / ideas welcomed. Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE> Check the fuse on the back of the Kenwood HU, most likly right under power/speaker plug . 94