Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Audio System compatibility/wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio System compatibility/wiring

Warning: First time doing this.

I'm doing my girlfriend's (2002 Honda Civic- base model)audio system because hers isn't powerful enough for her. I need four 6.5's for the interior, a radio, and amp. I already have a sub that's been in my family for a little. Was planning on just going to get a wiring kit at an auto parts store.

1. Speakers:
Amazon.com : Pack of 4 Sony XS-FB1630 Classic 3-Way Axial Design 6.5-Inch Full-Range Speakers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Pack of 4 Sony XS-FB1630 Classic 3-Way Axial Design 6.5-Inch Full-Range Speakers : Car Electronics

2. Radio:
Amazon.com : Sony DSXM50BT Bluetooth Wireless Digital Media Car Stereo Receiver : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Sony DSXM50BT Bluetooth Wireless Digital Media Car Stereo Receiver : Car Electronics

3. Amp:
Amazon.com : Pioneer GMA3602 2-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier : Vehicle Stereo Amplifiers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Pioneer GMA3602 2-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier : Vehicle Stereo Amplifiers : Car Electronics

I chose the 2 channel- does that mean I can run the left side of her car with one channel and the right on another. As long as they are in phase, correct?

Need help with my wiring as well. If there's a write-up for my application existing already I can just go off that.

Sub

Sub's connections.

Any input is appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited by Ohmega; 10-31-2015 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added car info
Old 11-02-2015, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Audio System compatibility/wiring

Originally Posted by Ohmega
I chose the 2 channel- does that mean I can run the left side of her car with one channel and the right on another. As long as they are in phase, correct?
To power your interiors you would need a 4 channel amp. A channel = one single speaker, you can use a two channel amp bridged to one to power that sub though.

First question, what is the reasoning to choosing the equipment that you did?(Budget, previous experience with them, etc.)
Old 11-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotoCARR
To power your interiors you would need a 4 channel amp. A channel = one single speaker, you can use a two channel amp bridged to one to power that sub though.

First question, what is the reasoning to choosing the equipment that you did?(Budget, previous experience with them, etc.)
Thanks for a response. Ah, i understand.

I chose Sony strictly for the brand name. Figured it'd be reliable and made with quality parts. If you have a suggestion for a better set up, by all means, please share. Only goals are: good quality bass, and clarity in the mid and high range. Hell, if you can suggest a cheap setup that meets my needs, I'm all ears.

Any thoughts on the sub? It was part of a $2000 system back in the 90's. It's crazy how much stereo equipment depreciates in value.

Last edited by Ohmega; 11-02-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: More words to be said.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personal opinion, most of Sony's entry level(actually almost all of the decent major brands) have somewhat of a "tin" sound to them.

Pioneer TS-A1605 6.5" Component speakers
Amazon.com : Pioneer TS-A1605C 6-1/2" 2-Way TS Series Component Car Speakers System : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Pioneer TS-A1605C 6-1/2" 2-Way TS Series Component Car Speakers System : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics
Pioneer DEH-X4700BT
Amazon.com : Pioneer DEH-X4700BT Single-Din In-Dash CD Receiver with Mixtrax, Bluetooth, Siri Eyes Free, USB, Pandora Ready & Android Music Support : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Pioneer DEH-X4700BT Single-Din In-Dash CD Receiver with Mixtrax, Bluetooth, Siri Eyes Free, USB, Pandora Ready & Android Music Support : Car Electronics

I ran this setup in my EG, Tahoe, and now in my Miata. GREAT sound for the $$, streaming audio via bluetooth always works, and it automatically connects when I get in the car.....every time. I've been around the block with all the major brands and I keep going with Pioneer 80% of the time because it offers the best bang for the buck in terms of their entry level line of products.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Beautiful, thank you for the links.

Slightly confused. Are you suggesting those in addition the the amp and sub i linked? or are you suggesting those speakers and radio in lieu of the ones I chose (Only running the speakers and radio)
Old 11-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

whats your budget?

Do you have an amp for that sub?

Are you looking to amp all 4 speakers, or run active?
Old 11-05-2015, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
whats your budget?

Do you have an amp for that sub?

Are you looking to amp all 4 speakers, or run active?
Budget is around $300 dollars give or take.
No I do not have an amp ( I posted a link to the one i was looking at in the first post)
If it was not necessary to amp the 4 speakers, I do not have to. I was under the impression that all of the speakers and sub needed to be connected to the amp, but if its more cost effective and will still meet my goals without powering the speakers, so be it.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:47 AM
Ferio Wdm Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres a question. What radio do you have?stock radio will not give you that clean, crisp sound that you want. I have lanzar component set that comes with the 6.5 and tweeters, along with its own small amp for each side. And some 400w rear 6x9 speakers. I have a 4 channel kenwood kdc-8401D that i had for about 4 years now. Paired with a pioneer 12 inch sub i got from a friend. Thats powered by a (i believe) kenwood amp. All this controlled by a pioneer avh4300 double din. Tuned by yours truly. Its crisp as can be.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Beautiful, thank you for the links.

Slightly confused. Are you suggesting those in addition the the amp and sub i linked? or are you suggesting those speakers and radio in lieu of the ones I chose (Only running the speakers and radio)
In lieu of. Not saying the speakers and radio picked out are "superior" to the ones you selected, just personal experience on a setup that I run in some of my cars and would hands down recommend as a budget build!

Budget is around $300 dollars give or take.
No I do not have an amp ( I posted a link to the one i was looking at in the first post)
If it was not necessary to amp the 4 speakers, I do not have to. I was under the impression that all of the speakers and sub needed to be connected to the amp, but if its more cost effective and will still meet my goals without powering the speakers, so be it.
Almost any "name brand" aftermarket radio will power aftermarket speakers NO PROBLEM for the average listener. Clarity and crispness comes from speaker selection and a CLEAN signal from the source unit(radio, stereo, amp, etc.) Power comes into play when you want to want that same clarity at a high volume.

Moral of the story, crusin down the highway.....windows down, sunroof open, wind blowing through your mane, power from an aftermarket radio on appropriately matched speakers will be just fine
Old 11-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have a budget of $300 for 4 speakers and a 4 channel? That won't get you much to be honest.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are plenty of specific features that can come with a model. The best car amplifier for you will be the one that suits your exact needs. As these requirements are generally varied and personalized you will need to look into this with each specific model.
(see more information about audio compatibility issues)
Old 05-29-2016, 02:41 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My 2 cents, find a head unit that she likes, Pioneer, Panasonic, Alpine, all make good quality "high power" head units, [am/fm CD players] I am no fan of any Sony products.

Use the HU to power the 4 speakers, leave the stock speakers in the rear, you will be surprized how good they sound once they have an aftermarket HU powering them, Replace the fronts with a good set of coax 6.5", Infinity makes very good efficient speakers use the stock speaker wiring.
Find a mono, [sub] amp to drive the sub, you will need to know the RMS power handling of the sub and find a matching amp, eg a 200 watt RMS sub needs a 200 watt RMS amp to drive it properly.

What is the model of the Kicker sub you have? 94