Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

attempted to install amp, car wont start now

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default attempted to install amp, car wont start now

i tried to install an amp into my 1994 accord. i thought it would be a fairly difficult easy task but it didnt end well. i began by disconnecting the negative terminal of course. then i crimped a ring terminal onto the amp/primary/red wire and then screwed that onto the positive terminal on the battery. i ran the wire into the car through an exisiting hole/grommet on the driver's side of the firewall. it was right around the clutch area. i ran the amp wire to the trunk and connected it to the amp. next was connecting the cra cable to the head unit. i moved some of the carpet to gain access to the backside of the center console. it was to no avail because there were all kinds of stuff in the way. i then took of the console above the parking brake and the trim atop the shifter off. this gave me a better vision than my first atempt; however, i was still unable to do anything because it was to stuffy. i made a discovery though. i turns out that the previous owner had some type of amp instaled and it was lodged behind the head unit. at this poitn i didn't want to tamper with anything so stopped there. i wanted to know if my car was still able to start or not so i left everything as it was [the amp wire still screwed in and the center console stuff (cigarette lighter, emergency lights) still disconnected] and out the negative terminal back on. this was done a day later, so the negative terminal was disconnected for about a day if that matters. i turned the key and heard nothing except some clicking noises if one would call it that. then i took everything off and returned everything to how it was before i tampered with them. i got the same result. the only lights i saw on the cluster were the seatbelt, parking brake, oil, and battery. the battery seems to work because when i opened the door the interior light came on. does anyone have a clue as to what the problem might be? any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 01-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: attempted to install amp, car wont start now (oem_CD5)

u sure the battery has a good connection?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:07 PM

Let me ask you first, did you run a inline fuse with the power wire? But I think it's just your battery connection.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:08 AM

Default Re: attempted to install amp, car wont start now (JchanFTW)

about 20 inches from where i screwed the amp wire onto the positive terminal, i cut the amp wire there and inserted the fuse via two butt connectors on each side. i never put the actual fuse in the fuse case if should call it that.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:11 AM

what could be wrong with the batttery connection?
Old 01-28-2007, 07:30 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it a auto or 5 speed transmission?

I want you to try this.... make sure car is out of gear, [in neutral/park] turn on ign. switch to run, using a jumper lead, [no smaller then 14ga] connect one end to the batt. pos.(+) and touch the other end to the starter solenoids trigger input, it is the thinner of the 2 leads going to the starter motor/solenoid, probably a plug in black/white 14ga-12ga lead [the other is the 12V+ from the batt.] let me know what happens.
Again MAKE SURE CAR IS NOT IN GEAR. 94
Old 01-28-2007, 09:25 AM

Default Re: attempted to install amp, car wont start now (fcm)

it's a 5-speed. i'm sorry for questioning you when you're trying to help but i just want to be cautious. what are you trying to find out by my doing what you previously said? i'm not too familiar with the starter motor/solenoid. here are some pics of what i did to the battery:

it might very well be the corrosion but i doubt that because everything worked before i tampered with the car.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like you need a new battery. But have you tested the fuses under the dash and in the engine bay?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: attempted to install amp, car wont start now (94_DC4)

i wouldn't mind getting a new battery but this one worked before i messed with everything. and all the other electrical components (interior light, clock,etc.) still work. i dont know how to test fuses . . .
Old 01-28-2007, 12:35 PM

why the *** is there a drill hole in the battery termal portion? get a new battery cuz you *** this one up.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, if you drilled that hole in the battery post, you seriously need to never touch anything electrical again...

And also, your battery cables are very corroded and need to be replaced...
Old 01-28-2007, 01:24 PM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oem_CD5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's a 5-speed. i'm sorry for questioning you when you're trying to help but i just want to be cautious. what are you trying to find out by my doing what you previously said? i'm not too familiar with the starter motor/solenoid. here are some pics of what i did to the battery: </TD></TR></TABLE> Nothing wrong with being cautious.
What it will tell you is if the problem is the batt., and I agree it needs a lot of attention, [terminals and connections] unless the hole in the terminal goes all the way through it is not a problem.
If the motor turns over/starts when you "trigger" the solenoid directly from the batt., the the batt. or the batt. connections are not the problem and I would guess you have unplugged something, possible the starter relay, or the "Clutch Interlock Switch"

It could still be the batt. connections, you did undo the ground and connected a power cable for the amp to the pos.(+), to test if it is a batt. connection problem, leave door open so dome light stays on, turn ign. switch to start, what happens to the dome light?

Try the above tests they will narrow down the problem. 94
Old 01-28-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: attempted to install amp, car wont start now (fcm)

I'm sorry it's late and I didn't read the whole post but I got to the part about it clicking when you were trying to start it and I'd say your battery is dead... which sounds like it might not be though since you had it disconnected. But yeah, try jump starting it or replacing that battery post (if possible..never seen anyone drill right into it though, that's creative)
Old 01-30-2007, 05:49 AM

try jump starting your car with battery cables from a friends car, also does your check engine light come on when you turn the key to on, if it does not then you either blew the fuse to the ecu, or fried the ecu.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the igniton fuse under the hood.I think its a 40a fuse.Its screwed in place with 2 screws.Give it a shot,happened to me.Still had battery power but car wouldnt start.If that doesnt work check the starter.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (K-EG)

dude, you either let all the gases excape from the battery, or you just have a dead battery.

but not to be mean, but i wouldn't attempt anymore. you could catch your car on fire VERY easily if you're doing that to your battery. when they mean secure it to the battery, they mean to unscrew a bolt on the terminal and put an eye connector on and put the bolt thru it and then screw that back.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy god man. That is the nastiest battery and battery connects I have ever seen. You definatly need a new battery. That thing is done. Just because it worked before you messed with it doesn't mean it wasn't near death anyway.

It also looks like you could really benifit from some new battery connecters. Also what wire is connected to the console? The remote turn on? Did you ground the amp? I would take all the wires out and then try again. If it still doesn't start go get a new battery (You need one no matter what). That install looks sloppy and something could be shorting out or something.

Also like other have said why the hell did you drill a home in the battery? Was that for the ring terminal? You know you could have just removed the nut on the battery connector that you use to tighten it, slip the ring terminal on and tighten the nut down again right?

Get a new battery and go from there.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (sony224422)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sony224422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude, you either let all the gases excape from the battery, or you just have a dead battery.

but not to be mean, but i wouldn't attempt anymore. you could catch your car on fire VERY easily if you're doing that to your battery. when they mean secure it to the battery, they mean to unscrew a bolt on the terminal and put an eye connector on and put the bolt thru it and then screw that back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Batteries don't work of of gases. Its liquid. You can pop the cap off a car battery(if its not sealed) and still start your car.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:29 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Default Re: (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Batteries don't work of of gases. Its liquid. You can pop the cap off a car battery(if its not sealed) and still start your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>He was being sarcastic.

Or was he??? 94
Old 02-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fcm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He was being sarcastic.

Or was he??? 94</TD></TR></TABLE>

ahaha i was he.

but seriously. go get a new battery, and maybe have someone who knows what there doing help you out
Old 02-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep def time for new battery, kinda different aproach to the battery terminal, i dont think id advise of it again IMO
Old 02-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KEVLARsh)

any updates?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:04 PM

thx for all the help guys, yes it was the battery. my dad jumpstarted the car and we went to get a new battery. case closed and im not dealing with anything electrical in a while.