Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Android Anti-Theft GPS Tracker Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 11:42 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Anti-Theft GPS Tracker Recommendations

I've seen various GPS trackers out there but was curious if anyone had recommendations on ones they really liked. Ideally I'm looking for something that works with my Android phone and if possible wouldn't require a subscription fee. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:31 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Android Anti-Theft GPS Tracker Recommendations

It will require a monthly fee because if you think about it, how will the data get uploaded. It needs a data plan to do that.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, he's right.

One of the things I do with my car electronics/development firm is gps tracking.

If you want reasonable realtime tracking, remotely, you will require a device that also has a 3G or 4G modem in it to send the NMEA packets across to a server/the cloud to be pulled by the device you are tracking with.

These devices will also lose tracking when completely out of cellphone range, you would need a satellite-based device for true world-wide tracking abilities ($$$)

What most people don't realize is GPS "Tracking" doesn't use GPS for communication at all, it's not possible. GPS is a one-way thing, our GPS devices use data from gps satellites to triangulate position, there is no data sent from the GPS device TO the satellite, thus another network (gprs, edge, 3G, 4G, Satellite) is required for the coordinates to be shared or tracked.

This is why a lot of trackers use a memory card, since they have no way to send the data out, they log it. GPS trackers like this are useful for businesses that track their fleets but don't require realtime feedback.

There are several devices out there, designed for cars with built in data modems for this purpose, but they all will have a fee, either through the tracking company that pays for the SIM card in it or you pay for your own simcard/data for the device.

Note, some of these devices don't actually use Sim cards either but built in subscriber identification and will only use the manufacturers subscription.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-24-2016, 05:46 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A while back I remember reading about how someone used a cheap cell-phone with a pay as you go plan for GPS tracking. Seems cost effective and simple to setup.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:12 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by ShinsenTuner
A while back I remember reading about how someone used a cheap cell-phone with a pay as you go plan for GPS tracking. Seems cost effective and simple to setup.
Yes, it actually was. But the placement of the phone, plus still needing monthly data, is key. I believe where I got mine was from Team-Integra. It was a cheap motorola with a gps antenna, and they used tmobile.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by forbiddenera
Yep, he's right.

One of the things I do with my car electronics/development firm is gps tracking.

If you want reasonable realtime tracking, remotely, you will require a device that also has a 3G or 4G modem in it to send the NMEA packets across to a server/the cloud to be pulled by the device you are tracking with.

These devices will also lose tracking when completely out of cellphone range, you would need a satellite-based device for true world-wide tracking abilities ($$$)

What most people don't realize is GPS "Tracking" doesn't use GPS for communication at all, it's not possible. GPS is a one-way thing, our GPS devices use data from gps satellites to triangulate position, there is no data sent from the GPS device TO the satellite, thus another network (gprs, edge, 3G, 4G, Satellite) is required for the coordinates to be shared or tracked.

This is why a lot of trackers use a memory card, since they have no way to send the data out, they log it. GPS trackers like this are useful for businesses that track their fleets but don't require realtime feedback.

There are several devices out there, designed for cars with built in data modems for this purpose, but they all will have a fee, either through the tracking company that pays for the SIM card in it or you pay for your own simcard/data for the device.

Note, some of these devices don't actually use Sim cards either but built in subscriber identification and will only use the manufacturers subscription.

Hope this helps.
Yeah those devices aren't realtime. Now a days with people upgrading phones so much, they just keep the data plan, wipe the phone of any crappy apps ( doing so keeps the battery alive longer and nothing running in the background ) and just install the app to track the phone.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This what you would want.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an iPhone 5 or something similar to stash in your vehicle somewhere. Add a second line to your plan and activate the phone. Use find my iPhone to track the phone... That's one good way to put use to an old phone with a broken screen... When I did that I think my bill was another $10-$15 per month.