Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

alpine 10" type r and an mrd-m500

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alpine 10" type r and an mrd-m500

hey guys, just wanted to kinda learn what to expect with this sort of combo. im gonna be running the sub at 2 ohms so the amp will be run at 2 ohms as well (obviously). basically im expecting anything from 400-500 RMS watts coming from the amp. it came with a little piece of paper where they bench tested it tho, and it came out (at 14.4 volts, 2 ohms) something like 598.7 watts RMS. so im guessin i will be pushing something around 500 watts or so. This sub will be placed in a sealed enclosure, quite possible a premade one if i can find one that is around .7-.8 cubic feet volume. this sub is rated at 300 watts RMS, and ive always been told that you have to overpower a sub in a sealed enclosure to be able to actually make it stand up to the capabilities of a ported enclosure. the thing is, i was wondering if you overpower it too much, will it start to lose SQ for more SPL? these subs are very clean subs as i have heard them first hand, but not in the way that i will have them setup in my car.

so basically if you have any experience with this sub, enclosure, and amp combo, let me know what you thought of it and how it sounded. TIA guys

hell if you got any experience at all with any of these things, let me know what you think
Old 06-25-2004, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alpine 10" type r and an mrd-m500 (FatJoe)

alpine subs are pretty good.. but comparing them to a jl i would rather get a jl.. alpine type r are kinda weak imo
Old 06-25-2004, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alpine 10" type r and an mrd-m500 (john666)

I just got an Alpine Type R (1021d) 2 ohm sub. I have it powered by a RF 250a2 amp (bridged), and it sounds very nice! The sealed box I have it in has an internal volume of 0.7656^3 before displacement of the sub and about 0.6736^3 taking into account the volume of the sub. The sub is very tight and as loud as I want.........it may not win any SPL contests, but it is definitely lounder than most 10" around. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at both the sound quality as well as the volume of this sub! Nice choice! Just curious, how much did you pay for yours?

John666-
I respect the fact that for some reason you think the R's are "kinda weak", but you are definitely in the minority with that thinking. Maybe the one you heard was not powered correctly/set up correctly/wrong box size/bad box, etc. Every review I have read (including my own experience) has had nothing but good things to say about the R's. They are consistently reviewed highly in both SQL and SPL. I will give you the fact that they are not "top of the line" like some JL's (and others), but they are very good performers, and for the price you can get them for, are some of the best bargains you can get IMO. They may not be "THE BEST", but they are far from "weak".
Old 06-25-2004, 06:31 AM

Default Re: alpine 10" type r and an mrd-m500 (pnthr30)

The Type Rs where designed to be the perfect sub. To have an equal balance of SQ and SPL. Given a sufficiant amount of watts, 300+, is perfect and they will sound good in a sealed box. I think that you got exactly what you were looking for as far as I can tell form your original post. When its all hooked up let us know how you like it!
And to the fellow Milwaukian above!!
Old 06-25-2004, 08:50 AM

Default Re: alpine 10" type r and an mrd-m500 (puddz27)

thanks guys, im very excited to see what it will sound like. and to answer your question pnthr30, i got it for 85 dollars new off ebay im gonna be shoppin around town at the local sterio shops and see what i can do about getting a box made or find one that was already made that would be perfect for this sub. i got my amp yesterday, made me feel tingly inside. the last system i had had a power acoustik amp so this is def an upgrade for me. i almost feel obligated to change my HU to an alpine just to make my WHOLE setup alpine. but hell, my pioneer is doin the job ive asked it to do quite well. but anyways, thanks again guys.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alpine 10" type r and an mrd-m500 (pnthr30)

Im a big alpine fan, but the subs just aren't totally there.