Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

alarm doesnt work after battery swap.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alarm doesnt work after battery swap.

Well 3 weeks ago I was having really low idle in my 97 civic. I checked the battery and found out that it was a bad battery.

I took the battery out of my 92 hatchback si and put it in my 97. Everything worked fine, and it idled right.

Well three weeks later, i needed a battery for my 92 si to do it's initial first start up. I took the battery out of my 97 civic and put it in my 92 si for the start up.

WELL i then put the battery back into the civic. I started it up and my idle is super low like it was three weeks ago.

Also my alarm doesn't even work anymore.

What do you guys think? thanks.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: alarm doesnt work after battery swap.

Bad alternator and the remote needs to be reprogrammed. It might of fell out of sync with the brain
Old 12-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you determine the battery was bad? A bad battery wont work in a car regardless of the condition of the alternator. A bad alternator wont cause a car to idle super low either. The battery could have been drained due to a bad alternator, making the battery provide power to all the electrical components in the car. A car needs a certain amount of voltage to even kick over so if the battery was bad in your EG, it shouldn't have even started in the EK. So I think telling us how you diagnosed the battery being bad would help in determining where your problem lies.

The alarm not working could be due to what Desmon has mentioned. But once again, how did you determine the alarm is not working? Does the car lock and unlock with the remote? The remote can be re-synched with the alarm brain. If you have the manual for the alarm system or look online you should be able to find out how.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When i would crank the the car it will barely over and start. Also it's a OEM honda battery which has been used since 1997.

the viper alarm doesnt have power door locks. I would try to arm it and nothing, its silence.

Last edited by SiB16A; 12-22-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you know were the valet button is? I betting that the alarm is out of sync with the remote. And you really need to test the alaternator. Easy way is to start the car. With the car running unplug one of the terminals off the battery. If the car dies then its the alternator. Also you should metter the output of the alternator. It should be about 14.4 volts at idle
Old 12-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by g0tuj0ckin
how can u test the alarm wit the valet button??

we are not testing the alarm. we are reprograming the remote to the alarm brain.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
Do you know were the valet button is? I betting that the alarm is out of sync with the remote. And you really need to test the alaternator. Easy way is to start the car. With the car running unplug one of the terminals off the battery. If the car dies then its the alternator. Also you should metter the output of the alternator. It should be about 14.4 volts at idle

actually i did that this morning, i had my car running and i unplugged my postive terminal, but the car did not die.

With my OEM honda Battery the voltage was 12.xx when it was idling.

I don't know where the valet button is since i bought the car and the alarm was already on it, but regardless im going to have the battery and alternator tested tomorrow

in the mean while...where are the usual spots for the valet button ?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by g0tuj0ckin
o i see... im friends wit the OP and was just wondering

No problem. The remote was probably pressed with the battery unpluged. The alarm should also have a dei 520t installed.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
No problem. The remote was probably pressed with the battery unpluged. The alarm should also have a dei 520t installed.
How do you reprogram the controller? is it different for different viper models?

The back of my viper controller says fcc id EZSDEI485
Old 12-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

turn the key to the on position. press valet button once and hold it. While holding the button down press the lock button on the remote. The siren should chirp once. turn the key off.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:02 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That would be press (and release) valet button once then press and hold it and press lock/arm button on remote, I'm pretty sure.

You will need to find the valet switch, obviously, there are no "usual" spots for a valet switch, it should be mounted under dash, hidden and within reach of the driver.

You will need to find the alarm brain to get a model number. 94
Old 12-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SiB16A
With my OEM honda Battery the voltage was 12.xx when it was idling.
You should be measuring 13.8-14.4 V while idling. 12.xx volts is what the battery should be registering when the engine is off.

So you mean this battery wouldn't turn your EG over, but you put it into your EK and it magically had the power to start the engine? Without recharging the battery in the first place? Kind of sketchy if you ask me.

And an 11 year old battery if properly maintained can continue to start an engine. I just barely changed out my battery which I've had since 1997. It worked fine until I let the battery go without charging too many times. It was powering my alarm while my car sat for a good period of time.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRideDC2
You should be measuring 13.8-14.4 V while idling. 12.xx volts is what the battery should be registering when the engine is off.

So you mean this battery wouldn't turn your EG over, but you put it into your EK and it magically had the power to start the engine? Without recharging the battery in the first place? Kind of sketchy if you ask me.

And an 11 year old battery if properly maintained can continue to start an engine. I just barely changed out my battery which I've had since 1997. It worked fine until I let the battery go without charging too many times. It was powering my alarm while my car sat for a good period of time.
My OEM battery would start but it would turn over really weak. I had a DIE HARD in my hatch that I took out to use on the ek. Everything was fine until the swap. We are talking about the DIE HARD battery here now. The oem is bad, because it would also turn over weak on my 92.

Aside all that my alarm is fixed. I guess it went out of sync. I turned the key on to the on position held the valet button and press the arm and at beeped. So its all fine and dandy. Yet my idle is still low. So its still something i have to do this week.