Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

95 Civic Radio Out Along With...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Civic Radio Out Along With...

I pulled the entire dash out to replace my heater core. I put everything back and checked the wires, everything at that point seemed to be working except the radio, harness needed to be soldered.

I had the key chime from leaving the keys on the ignition with the door open, car off, I had the "seat belt not fastened" noise and I had my horns. I don't know if the cig socket worked.

Currently when I connected my radio, I noticed all dash sounds, cig lighter socket, horn, and my stereo will not come on. The dash lights work, the heater door moves when the buttons are hit buttons. My brake lights work (not the fuses), turn signals, hazards, rear defroster, etc.

I checked all the fuses I could find. The relay hanging under the steering wheel does not click or do anything when I hit the horn.

Help?
Old 10-16-2013, 06:31 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: 95 Civic Radio Out Along With...

Say what???

You need to be clearer on what the problem is now. 94
Old 10-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wreckless Hype
I had the key chime from leaving the keys on the ignition with the door open, car off, I had the "seat belt not fastened" noise and I had my horns. I don't know if the cig socket worked.

Currently when I connected my radio, I noticed all dash sounds, cig lighter socket, horn, and my stereo will not come on. The dash lights work, the heater door moves when the buttons are hit buttons. My brake lights work (not the fuses), turn signals, hazards, rear defroster, etc.

I checked all the fuses I could find. The relay hanging under the steering wheel does not click or do anything when I hit the horn.
?

I'll try to be more clear I guess?

*When you put the key in the ignition but do NOT turn the key ON and the door is open, it will chime. We all love this noise.

*Also when you turn the key ON and your seat belt is NOT fastened, it will ding 5 or 6 times to alert you of you errors. More noises we know and love.

*The radio, it's where were get music.

*Cigarette lighter, mostly used to charge our phones.

*Horns, you hit them to tell people in front of you that they're jackasses.

These things listed above DO NOT work currently.

What does work, inside

*Dash lights, light up my gauge cluster, HVAC control, cluster lights for brake, belt, CEL, blinkers, etc

*Brake lights (share a fuse with radio iirc) so it's not a fuse

*HVAC buttons (when I hit them, I can here the doors moving in the dash to route air to other places)

*Heater blower

***Windshield wipers kind of work. My intermittent does NOT work, they just do nothing. Low DOES work. Hi speed does NOT work. Squirters work, holding the stalk to manually set wipers moving DOES work.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything further.

Thanks!

!! Edit - Everything appeared to be working (except the stereo, as it was disconnected at that time), then I put the radio in, connected it and also wired the power for the amp (doesn't even hit anything in the dash), at this point, everything seemed to stop. Not sure if this actually made it stop, but that was the timing. I have since reversed those two actions, nothing.

Last edited by Wreckless Hype; 10-16-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:38 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Sounds like someting, [one of the harness plugs or fuse box plugs] did not get plugged in properly.

The chimes and intermitent wipers are all controled by the ICU, [plugged into the back of the under dash fuse box].

Question, does the dome light work off the drivers door?94
Old 10-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Question, does the dome light work off the drivers door?94
I've actually never had a working dome light. When I got the car almost 3 years ago, it flickered and burnt out. I tried new bulbs, but it was never terribly important, so I never cared.

I thought it was just the 3 plugs when the dash came out, which I double checked are plugged in. There's a fat plug, medium fat plug (both plugged in) and then (2) 4 pin connectors behind the radio connection. The one 4 pin I know is for the cig lighter, but that's not working. The second 4 pin, I have no idea. Then there was 3 ( iirc ) connectors on the HVAC black plastic boxes, all of which are plugged in.

I should also maybe mention that I have removed the complete yellow SRS harness from inside the dash. The car was in a front end collision and half *** put back together. The SRS light has always been on, guy says it won't work. So I pulled it all out. From what I found, nothing in that harness should affect these things, and when some of it WAS working, the harness was removed. So it shouldn't be that...
Old 10-17-2013, 07:05 AM
fcm
Old Fart

For the horn it makes a diff. if you have SRS or not, you do/did but removed SRS wiring, so depending on how much wiring was removed may be the cause.

To test find the blue/green, [may be blue/red] lead in steering wheel harness and supply a ground to it, you can also find the lead on the horn relay you say is hanging under the dash, [should be plugged into under dash fuse box] at the same time you can also test for power on the relays white/green lead, horn relay power, from fuse 42 - 20A, hot at all times, in engine bay fuse box, [this is also the brake light fuse, do they work?].

The horn lead, [from horn button(s)] goes through the clock spring along with SRS wiring

For the radio there are two fuses, fuse 32 - 7.5A, hot at all times in engine bay fuse box and fuse 23 - 15A, hot in acc. and run in under dash fuse box, white/blue lead and yellow/red lead at radio harness.

The warning system, [chimes] has two fuses, fuse 3 - 7.5A, hot at all times and fuse 15 - 7.5A, hot in run and start, both in under dash fuse box.

Check for power AT the fuses.

When checking fuses, use a 12V test light, [not the LED type] and test at the fuse at both test tips on the fuse. 94
Old 10-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Appreciate the response. Working on getting under the dash to look at wires and fuses. Unfortunately I have the dreaded, lower strut bolt stuck in the control arm on the rear of my GF's 98 DX Coupe. Her issue is a bit more of a priority than mine, but I'd like to get to it and let you guys know how I make out. Thanks much!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got seemingly everything working inside the car again, possibly even the dome light.

Wired in the SRS harness, the long yellow cable that has 3 plugs in the steering wheel, one large on under the stereo into the little box, ground there also and then the one that goes into the passenger airbag that I don't have. - This seemed to fix my key in ignition chime, seat beat chime, horns, cigarette lighter, but not my radio somehow.

Pulled out my multimeter to check continuity through my soldering job to make sure everything was good, no issues. Checked fuses, all good. (Here's where I pulled the 7.5 for the dome light for fun and found continuity was bad but it looked good.) Checked power at the harness, nothing, traced back to the plug into the fuse box, nothing on the hot wire and common. Dropped my common probe to the car frame and success. Checked at radio connection same way, all good. Cut ground from harness and wired one into the frame under the radio, good enough for me!

Thanks for the help!

Edit my intermittent wipers are working now, low works fine, high speed does not work at all, they shut off.

Last edited by Wreckless Hype; 10-29-2013 at 11:11 AM.