Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

UKDM EJ9 K24 SWAP & REBUILD

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UKDM EJ9 K24 SWAP & REBUILD

Okay please bare with me as I'm copying all this from another forum, hopefully, it's as simple as that haha.

I guess I will start a fresh new build, this time I will do it properly.
So some of you may or may not know me. I have a frost white EJ9, yeah not so special but have had it around 5 or more years now, first car and all. It started life standard, then B18cr swapped, never took care of the shell and it has developed rust and looks terrible in appearance. The B18 has gone now, still loads of parts left over in the FS section.
Now the plan is and I will be going ahead with it no matter how long it takes me;

K24 with over sized pistons and all the usual stuff like uprated pump etc
K20 head with some uprated valvetrain
ITBs
LSD box
3" aiming for titanium depending on price
hoping for a nice round figure of 300 and 200 on the torque side
It will still be a daily driven car so no over the top modifications, just something that can hold its own against the expensive cars if needed to.

Shell is going to be rebuilt, rust cut back and properly sealed up, new bushes, slightly larger brakes upfront, looking at kits such as yellow speed or wilwood. Bought a 5 hub swap to rid the big brake 4x100, realised the mg discs are thicker than ek9/dc2 so mabe thats why they were always binding ?

Weight saving in places, so unwanted interior brackets are going, got myself a Bride bucket carbon etc, will be caged, probably done by custom cages, rather a weld in over the bolt in stuff.

So thats a basic summary of what I will be aiming for, no idea when it will be done but knowing me, a year or longer lol. Also finding it hard to source quality parts too, no one seems to have them anymore.

K swap parts I have so far are
NEW ARP head studs
NEW K tuned swap harness
NEW K tuned shifter
NEW K tuned fuel gauge
Mugen baffled sump

Also bought
A 5 hub swap with itr servo and m/c
ARP extended wheel studs
Genuine Bride Japan edition
SSR Hasemis 16x8 & 16x7.5

So yeah I am well off completion, engine is out and gone, interior is almost out and that's how far I've gotten. Videos HERE and below to show progress with my not so good film production, but hey I'm learning.
Also updates are on my Instagram HERE or my Facebook
Facebook Post
@Hayai.build
Facebook Post
Old 06-15-2017, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UKDM EJ9 K24 SWAP & REBUILD

Old 06-15-2017, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did pick myself up a nice genuine Bride Japan Edition Zeta 3 with carbon back, just need to find some side mounts for it now but no real rush.

Also have a 5hub swap that needs rebuilding with fresh everything and will be powder coated gold

Also to go with my 5 hub swap

SSR Hasemi Pro t-s
16x8 & 16x7.5
Et38 & Et32
Should fit nicely with some 215 rubber
Just need to figure out the colour I want to go for now, originally thought about polished lips, gold split nuts and dark amethyst (ek9 colour) centres but I've had polished lips and dark centre slips before and didnt work well with the white car. These wheels also look ugly in all white so that's a no no even though I like white on white.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some interior out -
Old 06-15-2017, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the exhaust off,

Got the shifter out,

And, I've lost interest at this point
Old 06-15-2017, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Trying to get the brace out
Old 06-15-2017, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The infamous "bitch pin"
Comes off easier when the linkage is off the car lol

My SSRs turned up, in two minds about them right now, can't really test fit them until the 5studs are on. Will be refurbed but colour choice hasn't been decided yet and needs new SSR stickers plus some chunky 215 advans, has brand new nankangs and budgets on right now but with the power I'm hoping to put down I would not trust my life with Nankangs ever again, used to spin and slide using them before with the B18.

And, I did some more stripping of the interior, needs a real good clean up and probably fresh paint, I will be putting the carpet back in sinc ethe car will be daily driven but I don't want to be half assed with this rebuild hence why I will clean it up and paint before I lay the carpet. Might use audio carpet too to keep the road noise down, the oem ek4 carpet doesn't do such a good job.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Video:
Eventually got the Xbrace out as well as other stuff

Got some pics from the last time I was at the unit.
So the wheels, still undecided on the colour combo but now after playing on Need For Speed, desert sage metallic centres looks and sounds appealing.

Picked up these side mounts for the Bride seat, was told they would fit but they don't and looking like they need spacers to fit the floor rails, asked around and everyone said it should be safe as long as it's quality hardware which I definitely will be using.

Brake master cylinder and clutch master cylinder and bits all off. Forgot to picture the brake m/c but you all know what that looks like.

Bay is now completely empty apart from a few brake lines and fuel lines but everything else is gone including the headlight looms which will be tidied up eventually.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did a thing
Old 06-15-2017, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So let's start off with the bad. It has more rust than I expected.

I was wire wheelings down the surface and came across a hole, put a screw driver straight through it so looks like we might have to cut and plate it up.

Did wire wheeling in different areas to see what might needs addressing, front slam panel will definitely need replacing, either with an oem replacement or tube front but I don't see the need in a tubed front at all other than it will look cool.

Heater core also out
Old 06-15-2017, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fire proofing is also out, some more weight loss I guess and will in theory warm up the inside of the car quicker in the winter from the engine temps haha

Old 06-15-2017, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So today I got a little busy with the Civic after doing the fuel filter on the daily Astra.
Carried on wire wheeling the bay down to get rid of the rust and see what needs addressing and inside the bay we are looking good, just the slam pannel and outer skin that needs work.
Taken back all the seem sealer because you know what that means, stitch welding the bay up eventually.

Enough talk, here's some pics I quickly grabbed befor I headed home, a video will be up soon.

The site ruins the picture quality, may need to get back to uploading using photobucket I think.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The video of removing the rust and seam sealer in the bay as promised
More wire wheeling, all though it helps keep things off my mind it is very long winded haha. I reckon the bay is over half way done from being taken back to bare metal.

I decided to remove the SRS unit, drivers obviously doesn't have an airbag anymore with me using an aftermarket steering wheel. The car will be caged and running brand new genuine Takata harnesses on both sides for safety and genuine Bride seat on the drivers, and either another genuine Bride or DC5 Recaro for the passenger so pretty safe if there ever was an accident, *touch wood* it never comes to that.

Took the front coilovers off, looking a little worse for wear, not sure if to rebuild with new components or buy the new range. Not had any issues with Meister R apart from corrosion so will definitely be looking to buy them again if the parts cost too much. They're not leaking, I sprayed some anti seize through the threads to release the collars and within a few minutes they were free, the height cup on one isn't moving yet but I'm sure with some persuasion I can get it going.

Before I left, I made a start on the sound deadening residue with the wire wheel attachment as I have been using on the bay and look how good it's came out ...

Forgot to get a before picture but it was almost identical to the passenger side which you can see here ...
Old 06-15-2017, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

More grinding, literally.
This was before I started today, forgot to take an after picture
The drivers side turret is bare metal now.

Got 3/4 hubs off for the new owner, pain in the *** though.

Didn't notice but you can actually see the bare metal turret I mentioned above haha
So yeah that was me today, more wire wheeling and removing the front and rear hubs, just the one rear hub left to do, not looking forward to it though as you can see I have very little working space.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Getting there
Update:

May have sourced a main piece of the puzzle, you will all see in the not so distant future.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

About time I got the subframe out

And, well ...
Old 06-24-2017, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-26-2017, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I couldn't resist. Started taking bits off the K24, the stuff I don't need like inlet, injectors, rail, manifolds, all that will be bined if they don't get sold on eBay within a week.

Still tackling the bay but It's almost finished, also started the chassis legs where most of the rust is, there's a rusted hole in the floor from a bad repair when I accidentally put the screwdriver through a few years back taking out the sound deadening.

We are getting there, slowly.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-27-2017, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-02-2017, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pulling unwanted bits off

Had an issue with the K20a2 vtec solinoid, bolt heads were rotten as you can see. k24 left k20 right
So I had smash smaller sockets on the head to get them moving, eventually after a lot of banging around I managed to get it moving and off, swapped the k24 one over to the k20 since there is no difference in them.
The k20 head is pretty bad condition wise, seems it's been sat for a long time.
So whilst I had the wire wheel and drill attachment out from doing the shell I thought i'd clean it up a little bit and was left with this

My only other issue with the head is, the guy took it apart and had everything lying around and during moving it around all the rocker assembly has come apart so I need a breakdown diagram to figure out where everything goes. All the little metal bits and springs for the rocker assembly are lying around on the floor and I have no idea if anything is lost either. Not sure if I can buy new either so a little advice would help me out.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-09-2017, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Honda Bond on the sump was no joke, took a lot of effort to get the sump free.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 11-11-2017, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think I've uploaded these in the correct order. Have been doing some work, bought myself a grinder so got started on removing unwanted bits. As you can probably make out, I cut off the tabs in the bay that are on the firewall for all the old brake hoses and what not. I also cut out the old brake hose clip in the wheel arch as they were very much rotten and couldn't be saved, Ibits fell off in my hand when removing the old brake hoses so yeah, cut and linished.

New
I've also cut out the rear seatbelt mounts, and some of the inner pannel that was used to clip the rear plastics in. Just a little weight saving and cleaning up before we get it stitch welded up and a fresh coat of white paint. Have forgotten to take pictures of this part but I'll be sure to get some next time I'm down. I also need to cut some more rusty stuff out, the outer skin of the wing has started to rot as you can see somewhere up in the build, this was obviosuly caused by removing the arch liner, all the mud and water got stuck in the holes in the pannel and slowly ate away. I will be cutting it out, sealing the insides and plating it back up with fresh metal.

Got myself some etch primer for the bare metal once it's done to prevent surface rust reappearing.
Oh, not to forget I cut right through the centre of my slam pannel until I get the replacement haha

Quick Reply: UKDM EJ9 K24 SWAP & REBUILD