Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Sloppy's Midori Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy's Midori Hatch

Made a build thread over on my local forum, thought I'd share it here as well

Well it's late at night and have nothing better to do so I thought to myself might as well start a build thread since there's a serious lack of them lately (thanks photobucket). Posting photos on instagram isnt the same has having a nice build thread to scroll thru so here we go. #MakeBuildThreadsGreatAgain

As you may know I used to have a JZX100 Chaser for a bit, wasn't really planning on selling that car since it was a pretty sweet car to have but I ended up selling it soon after seeing what I recently picked up was for sale.

Sold that car for dirt cheap so I could quickly acquire this, 1996 Honda Civic in Midori green known as being King Midori from past days

This is what it used to look like when it was in Honda Tuning and Super Street awhile ago

When I picked up the car it was nothing like what it used to be, mostly all the baller stuff from before was long gone and what remained was a pretty good k swapped car. It's an A2 head with an Z1 block mated to a Type R trans with a 5.01 final drive from either a CR-V or Element. The head probably has some work done to it and and has cams or something in it cause it makes close to 240whp, Danny over at SF tuned the car when the previous owner had it and said it could make 250whp and more with bigger injectors and throttle body so I'm keeping that in mind... Suspension consisted of Spoon N1 coilovers, Skunk 2 front and rear camber kits, Swift rear swap bar, A-Spec x ASR subframe brace and SRR LCAs. I made a deal with the previous owner and was originally only supposed to buy the shell with full swap and interior and sell off the rest. I ended up keeping most of the suspension since it was still in pretty good shape and I wouldn't be able to get replacement stuff for cheaper, kept the black housing taillights and spoiler base as well so I could run aftermarket wings. So yes, I sold a car that I could drive for a none running one, pretty good deal eh?

So right away I started to fix up some things here and there on the car, first up was taking the angle out of the ctr spoiler and putting in my old 5zigen steering wheel I had kicking around

After that I fixed up the fitment of the front bumper, front lip and flares

AP Racing setup was pretty sick to look at but was really overkill as well

Let my friend drive the car for a bit and took a some of pics of it and some at my friend's house

Finally ended up removing the tilt brackets all together, looks way better without it then I put on the missing dash pieces that were off the car when I bought it. Need to figure out a way to mount the ecu out of the way, I dont like it sitting in the passenger footwell area

One of the last things I ended up doing before temp was over was swap out the 99-00 taillights for the 96-98 version, I think it fits the car much better but that's just me. I still have the other taillights if I do decided to swap over again.

Temp ran out so it meant it was time to start parting out the car and start selling the parts that didn't come with the car for the previous owner, within a day I had everything I wanted to sell off the car and now it sits on jackstands for the next few months to come

Ended up polishing up my headlights since they looked pretty yellow

Bought some Stage 21 +10mm frp fenders and a Purple Speed/Doobie front lip off Upgarage not too long ago. Fenders had 2 small chips on them and a small fitment issue around the front of the fender but fits pretty well. When I first received the lip I had no clue what it was and had gotten both the fenders and lip for very cheap but after a quick search on Google I found out what it really was so that was cool. I'm most likely not going to run the lip and end up selling it after I fix it up since it hangs way too low and dont really want to worry about exploding it on bumps and stuff so I'm going to get another urethane CTR rep lip since I just sold my other one. Oh ya, I picked up some APC eyelids off ebay for dirt cheap as well.

I picked up a spare hood for super cheap and was bored so I decided to cut out the underskin of it so save some weigh and I also had nothing better to do so I thought I'd give it a thought. I screwed up the spare hood by denting the **** outta it while I was trying to remove the underskin so I did it again to the one that was on the car. That hood has some small dents but nothing crazy so I'll just get it fixed up. Now I have to get hood pins/latches since I cut out the latch by doing this, probably wouldn't recommend doing this but I had fun doing it.

Ended up picking up this Bride Zieg II that I used to have in the Chaser, I originally bought it to flip but I might end up keeping it, it's damn nice

Earlier today I cut my frp fenders to mount the side markers. I made this really ****ty template and kinda just picked a spot on the fender, I couldn't do it in the normal spot because of the way that the fender is designed so I opt to put it in the top vent. Originally there was a hole in the lower vent but the previous owner filled it so that was nice for me since I didn't want it in that spot anyways. The sidemarker is kinda crooked since I angled with how the vent is directed but looks good from a couple feet away so it's good enough. I did the other side and I think it's pretty dead on with this one but I'm not too sure lol. I also toss on some of the suspension on one side and messed around with this spare ITR wheel I had kicking around, I'm most likely going to run 16" wheels mainly because I think it looks better where as 15" looks kinda small on these cars but that's just me

So that's where it sits now, probably won't be seeing much progress on this thing on the next few months since I'm starting college again this fall and still need to find a part time job. The car doesn't really need much to get it back in driving order either. It only needs one ball joint, inner tie rods, rta bushings, rear camber arm bushings, rear toe arms, rear lcas, front + rear pads and rotors and wheels + tires. I plan on buying most of that stuff around holiday season and hopefully can save a few bucks by doing so but I'll keep on updating this thread whenever I impulse buy some cool stuff or do some small mods
Old 08-04-2017, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Sloppy's Midori Hatch

Looks great! I remember this car from HT, glad to see its getting restored.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty cool to see this car again, defiantly one of the best ek hatch's to be put together in its prime.

keep us posted!!
Old 08-04-2017, 07:48 PM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good luck with the build. A lot to live up to!
Old 08-04-2017, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cutting out the inside of the hood wasn't the brightest idea. It is a structural support system. On a windy enough day and a fast enough speed i wouldn't be surprised if your hood started to wave around and fold in on itself and settle with what looks like a massive dent. You now kind of just have a flat piece of sheet metal for a hood.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, i Really don't get it why would you do something like that.

But anyways, car looks great. I like color!
Old 08-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the sidemarker in the counter for the vent. Cool idea.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old fenders for sale?
Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LankorDie
Looks great! I remember this car from HT, glad to see its getting restored.
Originally Posted by ontariorider
Pretty cool to see this car again, defiantly one of the best ek hatch's to be put together in its prime.

keep us posted!!
Originally Posted by ShinsenTuner
Good luck with the build. A lot to live up to!
Thanks! It was in a pretty sad state before the last owner got her running again, surprised to see that it was in fairly good shape after sitting for all those years

Originally Posted by Prudz_lude
Cutting out the inside of the hood wasn't the brightest idea. It is a structural support system. On a windy enough day and a fast enough speed i wouldn't be surprised if your hood started to wave around and fold in on itself and settle with what looks like a massive dent. You now kind of just have a flat piece of sheet metal for a hood.
Originally Posted by Josip.
Yea, i Really don't get it why would you do something like that.
But anyways, car looks great. I like color!
Yeah I probably should've just left it but I was bored and thought I'd try it out. If I do end up messing this one up I'll just go to the junkyard and get another one. Hopefully this will last until I can get some sort of frp or carbon hood.

I really enough the colour as well, it has a bit more gold flake in the paint so it has a little golden hue when it's in the sun and looks really nice.

Originally Posted by willimo
I like the sidemarker in the counter for the vent. Cool idea.
Thanks, I think it look better on the upper vent compared to the lower vent

Originally Posted by 0c00l
Old fenders for sale?
Nope, I traded the flares to my cousin for some ctr calipers last week

Small update, I traded the old Js Racing flares that were on the other fenders to my cousin for his ctr calipers that he had kicking around so that solves what calipers I wanted to run up front. Im trying to sell the Zieg that I picked up so I can buy the rest of my suspension and brake parts instead of waiting around until holiday season. Most of the parts that I need are cheap enough anyways so I thought I'd do it now if i can manage to sell the seat.

I also bought some aerocatchs this weekend from the local speed shop and installed them the same night. I forgot that the hood wasn't aligned as well as I wanted it to be and after cutting the second hole for the latch I remembered that but it was too late so now one of the pins isn't exactly in the same spot but it's close enough. Debating on running the eye lids or not, I like them but at the same time the car looks nice without them so I'll have to see what I decide on doing once I get another lip on there.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice love that color. i want to paint a coupe that color. i just got another midori hatch a couple weeks ago. i have to replace the rear body panel, then swap everything from previous car to the hatchback.. oh ****. gotta change from auto to manual too

Last edited by 5honda; 08-08-2017 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-11-2017, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I always wondered about the famous cars and what happens to the them. This one seems to have gone to a good owner!
Old 08-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for responding good luck on the build off to a good start!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well damn nice
Old 08-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

car is coming together nicely...
Old 09-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 5honda
nice love that color. i want to paint a coupe that color. i just got another midori hatch a couple weeks ago. i have to replace the rear body panel, then swap everything from previous car to the hatchback.. oh ****. gotta change from auto to manual too
The colour is definitely my favourite for this chassis

Originally Posted by RMOracer34
I always wondered about the famous cars and what happens to the them. This one seems to have gone to a good owner!
Originally Posted by 0c00l
Thanks for responding good luck on the build off to a good start!
Originally Posted by ssmrico
well damn nice
Originally Posted by EJ_ALLMOTA
car is coming together nicely...
Thanks!

Got another smallish update for you guys, received my EK9 rlcas and Hard Race trailing arm bushings a few weeks ago and finally threw them on the car. I had just a hard time installing these damn bushings too, they didn't want to go in the trailing arm with a hammer so I had to go to my friends shop to get them pressed in. I removed the old bushings out with ease with a few hits with the hammer but installing them was another story. I thought I couldn't use my EK9 rlcas either since I had a hard time getting the hole on the rta to line up with the lca but after unbolting the camber arm it was easy. I managed to toss on all my suspension parts today since I was out of class super early but im still waiting on the rest of my hard race order and haven't received an update about them yet so I hope they come before the end of the month.

Also got the ecu off the floor of the passenger footwell area by using some velcro and sticking it to the black heater box beside the blower motor, I hope it stays cause I dont really have any other alternative right now unless I send the cabin side of the rywire harness in to get it lengthened so it can fit on the side of the kick panel. Decided to sell my Purple Speed/Doobie lip and Stage 21 fenders as well, I want to replace them with a poly rep type r lip and stock fenders and just pull the fenders and space them out if needed. After I get my hard race parts in all I need are pads and rotors and wheels + tires before the car can go back on the ground again.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:57 PM
footwork mastery

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice car! Finally decided to post up my 2000 civic build thread so I'll have to keep an eye on yours. So far so good
Old 09-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by .Grimace
Nice car! Finally decided to post up my 2000 civic build thread so I'll have to keep an eye on yours. So far so good
Thanks! Never realized you owned that white CRX until now lol, I used to see updates on it on ef heaven and stuff on facebook, definitely gonna check out your new thread!
Old 09-13-2017, 02:24 PM
footwork mastery

whats ef heaven?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats ef heaven?
Facebook group, you in the crx community page or nwp on fb? I definitely remember seeing your old crx posted in one of those groups
Old 09-13-2017, 03:53 PM
footwork mastery

Never been on any of those so that's weird. maybe someone shared it :D
Old 09-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never been on any of those so that's weird. maybe someone shared it :D
Must have been, used to see it posted a lot. Checked out your build thread on your current civic, gonna for sure follow that one, the plan is to make this thing a really fun street car as well that I can take to the track and auto x
Old 09-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Master Ninja

That look's great man good luck with build. Love me some midori green.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eddie
That look's great man good luck with build. Love me some midori green.
Thanks, midori green is definitely a great colour

I managed to sell the Stage 21 fenders and Doobie lip last Friday and picked up some oem fenders for cheap during the weekend and got them rolled and pulled by my friend right away. I forgot to take pics of what they looked like before the pull but they're probably around 10-15mm wider now for sure. I'm probably still going to have to space out the fenders for the wheels and tires I want to run but won't do anything until I buy them during the spring. I spent a few hours on Sunday, all evening Monday and a few hours Tuesday after class smoothing out the pull and filling some small dents and chips that were in the fenders, it's not 100% perfect but it's good enough for me. Currently prepping the hood for primer as well and should be spraying them with primer this weekend if all goes well.

Ended up trading my black housing headlights for some oem ones plus cash with my friend as well earlier this week. When I first got them they were super hazy and yellow and gave them a quick polish with 800 grit and 1000 grit to see if I could restore them or if they were trash but they cleaned up pretty good so I got some 1500 and 3000 grit from my friend and polished it some more and finished it with a Mothers headlight restore kit I had laying around. I must they these things looks absolutely mint again compared to what they first looked like when I got them and Im very happy with how they turned out. Im planning on making some homemade oven thingy with a box and a heat gun soon so I can take off the lenses and remove the orange reflector inside them, just need to order the correct sealant for the headlights this weekend for that so I can reseal them properly.

Quick polish with 800-1000 grit

Final result after 1500-3000 grit and headlight restore kit

Spoke with the company who I ordered my hard race stuff from and their shipment was delayed for a few weeks but they should receive everything this Friday and ship out everything the following week, hoping to get them before October starts but I'm in no rush to get them
Old 09-21-2017, 08:39 AM
footwork mastery

Damn that's some good clearance! I need to go to town on a set of fenders like that, I'd love to have a pair to switch out for track use to get a 225 or 245 in there. Getting ahead of myself though. Are you reappointing the whole car or just the fenders?
Old 09-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn that's some good clearance! I need to go to town on a set of fenders like that, I'd love to have a pair to switch out for track use to get a 225 or 245 in there. Getting ahead of myself though. Are you reappointing the whole car or just the fenders?
Im planning to run 245s up front but I'm not sure if this is gonna clear the tires so I still may need to space out the fenders but won't know until I get my wheel setup sometime next spring. Im only working on the parts of the car that arent green and I just finished priming my fenders and hood this weekend, I still need to start on the hatch but I also have a spare one that I might work on instead of the one on the car.

On Friday I got off class super early so I decided to prime my fenders that day but made the mistake of buying the cheapest primer in a can that I could find. That stuff was horrible, the tip would drip paint and didnt get much out of the can so I resanded my fenders and returned the other cans of cheap primer and got some duplicolor filler primer. I must say the fenders came out really well, for the first time doing this stuff it came out pretty ok. I was planning on spraying base and clear myself but Im just gonna get the body shop at my college to spray them for me later on next spring. The hood is red because I ran out of grey primer and had to finish it off with the red cans I also bought. Going to be wetsanding later this week after my friends FD is out of my garage

Quick Reply: Sloppy's Midori Hatch