Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Sh!t box eg hatch ls turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: **** box eg hatch ls turbo build

2.50" Aluminized Steel, 3.75" Radius, 90 Degree Mandrel Bend Columbia River Mandrel Bending

Its 16 gauge aluminized steel.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I decided to upgrade my intake manifold along with a hondata thermal gasket. Being the cheap *** that I am I bought a skunk2 knockoff obx manifold. This manifold is a pile of **** and took a lot of work to get it to fit right. For starters one of the holes for the stud in the head was off by about an inch! You can see in the pic where I marked where the hole should be. Then the iat sensor won't fit with the p75 throttle cable bracket witch wasn't a problem because I relocated mine to the charge piping, also the threaded holes for the throttle cable bracket are too close together so I had to drill a new hole in my bracket. If you want a manifold that will bolt right on just spend the extra $125 for the skunk2, if you're a cheap *** like myself and don't mind the extra work then this manifold is OK.

I went and retuned the car after the intake swap and the butt dyno says it picked up a noticeable amount of power lol. I highly recommend the hondata gasket, after driving around for quite a while tuning the IM was still cool to the touch, before it would be really hot.

Next I think I'm gonna pay for some dyno time so I can tune the timing. Plus I wanna see what kind of numbers its putting down. Right now I still have the timing pretty conservative, 11.25* at 16psi uptop.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Took a crappy video of a third gear pull tonight. This was 17psi. For some reason my battery light always come on during a pull, but when I log battery voltage it never drops so idk lol. I will try to get some better videos up if I get a chance to go out with my friend.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice update.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey quick question. When cutting the metal pieces that make up your down pipe did you use a chop saw or 4" angle grinder. I have been using an angle grinder with a cutting disc on it and my cuts are not looking too straight.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by averyvm
Hey quick question. When cutting the metal pieces that make up your down pipe did you use a chop saw or 4" angle grinder. I have been using an angle grinder with a cutting disc on it and my cuts are not looking too straight.
I used a chop saw from harbor freight lol. Works great. This is the second dp I've built using pie cuts. It would be super hard with a grinder lol.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice build man, how do you like those progress cs2 coilovers? Seems like you can't beat the value.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could u please post an image or a link to the chop saw. The only ones I see at Harbor freight are for cutting wood.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by averyvm
Could u please post an image or a link to the chop saw. The only ones I see at Harbor freight are for cutting wood.
Try these ones
Cut-Off Saws and Chop Saws at Harbor Freight Tools
Old 12-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice build. I'm glad I found it. I've been wanting to boost my LS in my hatch for the past 4 years. I got the motor built, then when I got money for turbo I used it on a del sol, when I got money again I got a ek. The LS turbo dream is still there. Your build shows people you can have a quality build without breaking the bank. Keep up the good work dude. I will keep my eyes on this thread and maybe borrow some ideas ��
Old 12-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a link to the exact one I have. I think I paid $70 for it on sale.

14 in. 3-1/2 HP Heavy Duty Cut-Off Saw

I really like the progress suspension. It rides pretty stiff, but its exactly what I wanted for this car. If it was a dd I probably would have went with a lesser spring rate.

Next mod for the car will be a methanol injection kit. I'll probably go with a devils own single stage kit. They are only about $250 and will make it a lot safer at the track on those hot summer days.
Thanks for the complements guys.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1EK1EG
Very nice build. I'm glad I found it. I've been wanting to boost my LS in my hatch for the past 4 years. I got the motor built, then when I got money for turbo I used it on a del sol, when I got money again I got a ek. The LS turbo dream is still there. Your build shows people you can have a quality build without breaking the bank. Keep up the good work dude. I will keep my eyes on this thread and maybe borrow some ideas ��
Borrow away my friend lol. The whole reason I made this build thread is to help people that want to do the same type of build. Nothing beats the fun factor of a turbo LS.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for that information. I'm gonna buy one asap.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love this build its close to what im doing as far as the set up, I was wondering what tranny are you running again?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Throwdown
love this build its close to what im doing as far as the set up, I was wondering what tranny are you running again?
Thanks dude.
I'm running a bone stock LS tranny.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Thanks dude.
I'm running a bone stock LS tranny.
nice i have a stock b16 tranny with 22" slicks curious to see how soon i will have to shift into 5th lol
Old 02-02-2015, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know I've said it already, but I really like this build. I have been referencing it a lot when gathering parts for my build.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man makes me want to hit the track so bad . I have a stock ls turbo also but with gsr trans and less power . Gives me hope to break into 11s though
Old 03-27-2015, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just pulled it out today for the first time in a couple months. I forgot how much fun it is to drive!

My local track has a test and tune day next Saturday so I'm gonna take it out for a few passes. This time it's getting a few gallons of race gas and 20psi. Hoping to go fast enough to get booted for no cage and hopefully it doesn't blow up lol. I ran 11.79@115 on 16psi with stupid conservative tune, so it should be much faster now. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent write up, u have helped me alot, im currently building a turbo ls with a b16 head, I also thought I had to go with a . 63 back housing turbo cause I thought the .48 wud be too small for the setup, and now I know I don't need a block guard, im looking about 280-300whp,plan to run about 15psi,im using stock ls rods an pistons but I'm thinking of getting the nippon pistons, i have a JDM dc2 integra, i live in Jamaica so I have to order stuff on eBay den wait to get them, im running chrome but i wanna get neptune
Old 03-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thugsbryan
Excellent write up, u have helped me alot, im currently building a turbo ls with a b16 head, I also thought I had to go with a . 63 back housing turbo cause I thought the .48 wud be too small for the setup, and now I know I don't need a block guard, im looking about 280-300whp,plan to run about 15psi,im using stock ls rods an pistons but I'm thinking of getting the nippon pistons, i have a JDM dc2 integra, i live in Jamaica so I have to order stuff on eBay den wait to get them, im running chrome but i wanna get neptune
Cool man glad this thread has helped you out. Stock internals would be just fine for your power goals. If I had a vtec head I would probably go with a .63ar hot side because the vtec heads just flow so much better then the non-vtec heads, but if you already have the .48ar hotside then just run it. Good luck with your build man.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Cool man glad this thread has helped you out. Stock internals would be just fine for your power goals. If I had a vtec head I would probably go with a .63ar hot side because the vtec heads just flow so much better then the non-vtec heads, but if you already have the .48ar hotside then just run it. Good luck with your build man.
tanks, i actually have a .63 not a 48,was jus commenting on that
Old 03-29-2015, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool I'm trying to hit up s test and tune next sat too
Old 03-31-2015, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I installed my new omni tach today. My old oem tach was off by over 1000rpm at red line witch bugged the crap out of me. Hopefully this one is more accurate lol.

There is rain in the forecast for the test and tune this weekend :-( I hope that changes. I really wanna run this thing again.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a great build! Well done! I love your work.

Your shifting could use a little improvement though. From the most recent video posted you are letting all the way off the throttle every time you shift and your front end is falling from losing speed. Full-throttle shifting took over half a second of my 1/8th mile ETs. Imagine what it would do to your 1/4 mile ET! If you're worried about breaking the transmission, I don't think you will. I FTS with similar power on a bone stock cable LS trans as well. With the improvements you've made since the video and full-throttle shifting, this car just may break the 10s!

Last edited by tooslohatch; 04-03-2015 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Sh!t box eg hatch ls turbo build