Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

RoRo's RHD EG6 - Canadian Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RoRo's RHD EG6 - Canadian Build

Hey all, My names Ronan, im 24, originally from England but ive lived in canada for almost 10 years now, been heavily into Hondas for 4 years owning several chassis (still do) and finally picked up a 1991 Honda civic RHD SiR hatch ive been lurking Honda-Tech for a while now and though i might as well post my build thread of my new car

so i sold my First honda, 1994 DX hatchback for $1600, the same night i stumbled upon the RHD forsale on my local forum for $1400 (minus engine)
a couple friends and i took a 4 hour road trip up north from where i am to get it the next night

September 14th 2013

the day i picked her up :D

Here's more pics

Carbon fiber fog covers are forsale, headlights and corners are already sold

Cream coloured door panel inserts

Spoiler is forsale

Powder folding mirrors, traction control system!!!

Map light

Random windshield sticker

Door sticker

September 16th 2013
started stripping down the front end, I want to get the engine bay painted first and get the motor swap done before the rest gets painted

this shell had a k20 in it so I realized today it didnt have a "driver side" mount

So I walked 3ft with a cutting disk in hand to my parts car (lol at my dad backing up my crv into the bushes)

And this was the "carnage"

Then I drilled out all the spot welds and separated the 2 pieces

I can see the dimples in the chassis rail as to where this mount should be, I'm going to get the body shop guys to weld it in

Undid all these lines and everything off the fire wall

And this is the point where I went home, I haven't even wiped / degreased or cleaned anything, there shouldn't be much of that to do at all, it's been well taken care of

and my parts car shall be gone tomorrow, no need of it now! Bye bye

September 17th 2013

started removing all the factory seam sealer

I took a wire wheel on a drill to all the left over seam sealer in the bay

took 80 grit sand paper and sanded the joints for a clean surface

Busted out my welder and started

Just started on the corner, it's not the prettiest but of course it wouldn't be, welding splatter and burnt paint, just trying to set the welder right

But I've got it all ground down flat and it looks fine!

unfortunately as we got to the right side we ran out of welding gas, we (and by we I mean my cousin colin) managed to do all the holes on the left side shock tower, the dreams rail and along the whole rad support, tomorrow I'll be getting some more gas

September 24th 2013

basically finishing off all the welding and grinding, after work got a new bottle of gas and I finished off the right side and then ground everything with the big 6" Grinding disk , hard to reach spots I'll use the 2" disks on a little grinder

October 2nd 2013

a friend convinced me to do a brake line tuck, I finished cleaning out the spot welds on the right side and half the rad support and then took the studs off the fire wall

finished all the welding besides 6 larger holes that require plates to be made,

I took off the wiper cowl so I can re route the wiper motor wire and to weld the holes on the fire wall, the red primer is just there to stop the bare metal from rusting since the car stays out side

Finished cleaning out the seam sealer with a fine pick, and this is the only rust I've seen on the car 0_o

October 7th 2013

Picked up a few parts

Eg6 window visors
Eg6 grey rhd console
Eg6 spare tire

Old 02-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RoRo's RHD EG6 - Canadian Build

October 8th 2013

decided to delete the air intake hole and just run a shorter pipe instead of a full ram under the bumper

did a bit of grinding on some welds and all the spot welds for the body work portion

And the 2 tools I used to clean the spot welds

just a few more things to weld up on the fire wall

December 4th 2013

had a big long break working on the car due to the cold here in Canada, really puts you out of the mood for working on your car (especially body work) so i started ordering a lot of parts!

luckily being from England i have a lot of hooks ups and friends down there so i got some custom UK plates made and sent over

a couple days later my UKDM spec tail lights came in
they are flawless, came with mint gaskets, all the screws, all bulbs and wiring and the lenses look like glass

I tried out the rear fog with a flash light :D

and my front plate holder came aswell !!

January 18th 2014

another long break due to Christmas etc, just spent most of the time sourcing parts/selling parts and saving up

then my plan changed, i already bought an engine and transmission off a friend of mine to clean up and put into the EG6, but i didnt have a good feeling about using it, so i decided to pull the drive train out of my other "project" car since i know the history of it all

January 21st 2014

my tucked rad came in, im going to polish the outsides to bling, dont like how dull it looks

February 2nd 2014

over the next 2 weeks tons of parts came rolling in!

OEM VTi decals from the Uk

Hasport mounts :D (arp studs are for my crv)

and got another set of uk plates with my car club on them

and my Ry wire harness

[URL=http://s846.photobucket.com/user/ronan_hs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/F884C117-E256-4CF3-A8E8-52F2EF6A6278_zpsg3b4k5uc.jpg.html]

February 10th 2014

and then took a little road trip !!! i sent my car off the my body shop guys to have the bay finished and painted, just a few fire wall holes needed to be welded up and i just want the thing done ready to have the engine dropped in, my shop is too cold to do it myself although i am fully capable of doing so (auto body apprentice)

February 16th 2014

Decided to make moves today
I bought a bunch of new suspension stuff which ended up on my other project car (posted above) last year so today I took it all off, form and function type 1coils, bwr front and rear camber kit, megan toe arms and black works racing LCA's which is all going on this eg6.

I disassembled the lower half, took off the top hats and the BWR upper control arms to get powder coated, red just doesn't fit the theme of what I'm going for.

Next I polished my hasport mounts

then I sanded and polished my header again it started to get tarnished, it's still not as nice as I would like it to be but i like the style of the header

then gave a quick polish to my skunk 2 mega power (I believe it is) muffler

going to do the rest of the exhaust tomorrow then pay attention to tearing the motor down
Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so far great progress, going to keep an eye on the build..
Old 02-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

February 17th 2014

just ordered some NRG polished hood dampers, always been a huge fan of these since i got into hondas, finally went ahead and got some

Old 02-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Subscribed!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ my build is on JDMRides dude , EH, post more of your hatch! i love that thing

February 19th 2014

just a little update, I powder coated my top hats chrome today, even though you barely see them through the shock towers just knowing they are red and that tiny bit showing would bug the hell out of me, doesn't look as chrome in the pictures as it does in person, but now I can think of a few other things I will chrome powder coat in the bay :D

Old 02-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

MY FAV COLOR! And its RHD! Great stuff
Old 02-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

February 22nd 2014

started stripping my engine apart tonight

intake manifold was the first thing off

Took apart the fuel rail to polish

also ordered the willwood universal 7/8th master cylinder, the pot is 10oz so a little large so I'm going to order a 7oz, I'm going to have a friend make me an adapter plate at his machine shop

im just waiting to see how big it is in person and may just order the same one for the clutch and get a 4oz pot for that, i want everything to match so a S2k one just wont do lol

Old 02-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

February 24th 2014

today was a good day, got all my suspension stuff powder coated and my intake manifold
All Done in sparkle silver with clear coat, 10 internet points for ever ever can spot what I did to the intake manifold

Old 02-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you smoothed out the casting lines
Old 02-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice one !! ^ a guy on my UK forum got it right away as well, nobody on my local forum got it yet, but someone brought to my attention that i still have the line for the vacuum to the brake booster which i am deleting so i will need to shave that off and tap a bolt into there or something to get rid of it

did some stuff at the shop tonight too

first was go to bolts plus and get stainless washers for my top hat bushings, had to get rid of the gold

Then put the coils back together

Then put the control arms back together

cleaned the rust off the injectors

Then started assembling the manifold
Old 02-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

February 25th 2014

and today is a good day too, took a drive out to the body shop and they have started on my engine bay :D
fully aware that the mount still needs to be welded in just waiting on me to get them the measurements

Old 02-26-2014, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

February 26th 2014

woooop new parts are always an awesome thing to come home to

NRG hood dampers

And my brake master which is an awesome **** up !

like the picture a few posts back I ordered just this with full intentions of getting a 7oz pot ontop

What they actually sent

So 1 master cylinder but 2 pots and a relocate kit! Super awesome so now I get my smaller pot and didn't have to pay!
Old 03-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE!

my photobucket has been down for a month due to over posting lol

so these updates will be over the past month until todays date, lots of pictures :D and i finally decided to use the DSLR instead of an iphone, im pointing and shooting so some pictures are out of focus

March 25th 2014

i finished up all the suspension by powder coating the front forks

i picked up a b16 valve cover, it had already been stripped and the letters hadnt been shaved (which i was looking for)
i want to modify any little thing i can for a more sleek OEM look so off with the casting marks!

and then media blasted it

Then they had made some serious head way since the last visit a few days prior to this

and then i went there the next night and walked in on this !

found these locally for $100 so i picked them up the same night, i just need something 15" to mount my new tires onto so these will do, im probably going to re coat them flat black or silver/greyish

i finally convinced a friend to sell me his console, luckily hes doing a part out and sold me this ,RHD EDM console and little coin holder for the arm rest, i have been after the EDM console for some time now. unfortunately in black when my interior is grey, but thats no big deal.

a few days later i visited the car, to my amazement they were pushing it into the paint booth! 1 guy had blocked out the whole bay himself in 1 day o_0!!

i had the center piece cut out and the old factory rad supports so my tucked rad can fit in there and i'll make some custom mounts

my valve cover in primer ready for sanding

then we pulled out a few colour chips to get our main colour to customize like a ricer

and here is the colour all in the pot together...

AND BAAAAM SHES DONE!!! :D
once again pictures cannot do a colour justice, it flips and flops gold/green/silver/blueish depending on the light because its a tri coat, i couldnt be happier, there is a few things that i want to change already, one of those "ahh **** it i wont bother with that" and then now when its all done im like "**** i should have done that" but maybe when i spray the exterior next year i will shave a few little things again on the bay and they can spray the whole thing at once

this was the picture i got sent that morning when the base was laid down, i really need to get better at pointing and shooting in focus *face palm*

the day after it was painted i went to go pick it up and seeing the colour in the sun was amazing

this is the valve cover out in the sun, it flips and flops so much, i am truly blown away by it

strapping the car down in the trailer

and todays challenge, clean up the shop to make room for the car and work space,
we just bought a new trailer and ripped the living quaters out of the front due to water damage and it all got piled up in the back of the shop

then move all my parts from behind that

then started removing all the front end

im guessing this car used to come with ABS !!

took the rear end goodies out, everything is like brand new, and all forsale (except the brace is called for)

i didnt want to remove the rear trailing arms myself without putting a bit of heat to all the bolts, the last thing i want to do is snap or round off any bolts

i thought this would take a hell of a lot longer then it actually did, im so used to EG's that i know every tool needed, what comes out where, etc so this was a breeze, pulling the dash and the carpet. i was dreading the dash incase i broke any clips or vents etc but i did it all without any issues,

the reason for pulling the dash was more then just for the brake tuck, the previous owner removed the heater core and blower motor, which in turn makes the "auto climate control" useless which i want to function properly,
i also need to wire up several things like the rear fog light, speakers, deck, front fogs, ry wire harness, Ecu, fuse box and all that other jazz, so basically its a good thing i removed it lol

after i pulled the dash found this going to the climate control, the whole harness cut, Luckily for me 3 years ago i bought an EG^ climate control with harness, with the sensors from a friend so all this isnt so much of a worry for me :D

so i was on it again tonight, i want to make it a habit to go to the shop for a few hours a night, im having the time of my life for the simple reason every single bolt comes out without an issue, nothing is rusted or corroded :D

first was to go to my storage unit and track down my wiring harness for the auto climate control, the one in the barn had the tiniest scratch on the face so i'll just keep that as a spare incase this one craps out

next job was to pull the sub frame out, that was easy enough too

then off comes the steering rack, control arms and sway bar,

took the header off my engine and sold that tonight

and bought a bunch of stuff to do the under body / wheel wells , espcially the front end while the sub frame is out

so that is where im up to! next step is tape off the whole bay and leave the underside of the chassis rails exposed and the under side of the fire wall, and coat it all in rocker guard, aswell as blasting and coating the sub frame and everything that goes along with it to get the front end all in and buttoned up,
Old 03-28-2014, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so lastnight i got around to cleaning and painting the lower fire wall, underside of the frame rails, the under side of the rad support, the front of the rad support and the front wheel wells.

the process of doing this was quite easy but laying on a broken crawler and using a shitty flash light was the only hard part lol

step 1. mask off all the edges where your paint is going to go
step 2. mask of any holes that over spray can get through (bolt holes, top hats etc)
step 3. using paper (i used a bunch of news paper) cover and tape off all the areas you do not want painted
step 4. using a drill with an assortment of wire wheels / cone attachments clean off the areas you are going to paint, luckily for me there was little to no grease and oil, just lots of dirt from the road and old rocker guard so this was easy, keep in mind staying away from the tape edges so you dont rip through the tape and scratch the good paint.
step 5. using a scratch pad scuff up the areas you didnt get with the wire wheel
step 6. using a blow gun blow off all the areas you are going to paint
step 7. pour some acrosol prep cleaner (wax and grease remover) onto a rag and wire down all areas you are going to paint
step 8. any bare metal areas were coated with tremclad rust proof primer first before the rocker guard, of course once a few coats are applied and dry it was then scuffed up with a scratch pad to ensure the rocker guard had something to bite to.
step 9. double check all the tape is sticking and no bleed through can happen
step 10. shake the can well, wear eye protection and gloves and get spraying

NOTE: after seeing the pictures almost all loading out of focus my little brother told me the issue is the lense is out of focus, so when i see the picture im about to take is in focus, it actually is not. FML.

:D so that is all done and now dry so i can now focus on the brake tuck, and getting the wiring sorted.

i also got my front lower control arms and sub frame powder coated, i just need to clean up the steering rack and sway bar (new end links are needed too) and i can put all that back in too.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking awesome! keep it up.

Bay is soooo smooth. Nice work!

Color is sweet as well. Will be checking in on progress.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice. like the bay color!
Old 03-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looking good.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome build so far. Can't wait to see more progress
Old 04-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wooop woooooooop!!!!

parts parts parts parts and more parts came today! now i can finally start cracking on a lot of stuff

Steering rack bellows both left and right (one was ripped but didnt see much sense replacing just 1)
both outer tie rods
both lower ball joints
clutch slave cylinder

my fly wheels came back from being machined

a new post mount (which my friend had to buy me because i had to give mine to his so he could get his engine in)

lastnight i bought a fog light kit, when i got my car it came with the fog lights but the wiring was half there and completely fucked up so i needed this just for the wiring

complete clutch kit

BWR polished LCA's

timing belt and water pump kit

new headlight sockets (mine are all bare and have been hacked into before

complete engine gasket kit
Old 04-06-2014, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE APRIL 4th 2014
over the past couple of days ive done some assembly and cleaning of the steering rack / sub frame

first was to clean up the steering rack and replace the outer tie rods and boots. cleaning was a breeze with the good ol' wire wheel on the brush and some degreaser and rags for the other stuff

then in the middle of doing that the girl came and brought me sushi

then i put the sway bar and LCA's on, im just waiting on my sway bar links and the loop/fittings for the power steering delete

Old 04-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great build.. keep up the good work..
Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't wait to see the car done...
Old 04-29-2014, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE:

APRIL 29th 2014

this is over the past 2 weeks, finally got around to installing all my engine "upgrades"

exedy clutch kit
timing belt
Water pump
idler pully
Cam seals
head gasket

then I stripped the rest of the block down of all brackets etc so I can powder coat those black.

started de greasing the trans and engine block to send out for paint.

Spent about 3 hours cleaning and prepping my throttle body for paint aswell, cleaned the iacv and installed the 2 with a new gasket of course.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE MAY 12th 2014

over the past weekend I got some stuff done, especially now the warm weather is here I'm getting more motivated

A few little purchases

skunk2 header off a friend of mine that I already polished for him when he bought it
now I have the header to go with my full skunk2 exhaust system

drilled and slottled black ceramic coated rotors

I hate buying replica wheels but for The cheap price I got them for I couldn't say no, I just need some 15" roll around wheels for now anyway

And the next day powder coated them mag blue with custom blue pearl flake added

I had my friend make me a custom adapter plate for my willwood brake master cylinder. Drilled and taped from the back I made some studs to go in the back

And then polished it up before final install

also made a battery box for the optima yellow top I am getting, all zinc coated before welding it to the frame rail

and lastly installed my ry wire harness with an oem grommet

Quick Reply: RoRo's RHD EG6 - Canadian Build