Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Pizza Delivery Car Turned Cone Carver

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pizza Delivery Car Turned Cone Carver

Originally Posted by Egezzy
looks great and looks as if you are having a ball.

only thing i would say since you are starting out. use some "worse" tires and learn from them. you could run st regionally depending on wheel width and what tires, as you should know. with all the interior stripped it isn't a "true" st car, but regionally they would probably let it slide.
I was coached a little by Tim Smith and he told me the same thing. St is a pretty big class in the Atlanta region and very competetive so I doubt they'd let me run with them, but I can stay in ep and just run street tires for practice because there're no other ep cars except Tim Smith's new 86 Civic but he runs in pro class and I run open. I drove Tim's old st car in time only last season and I did pretty good compared to the other st cars considering it was the first time i'd driven his car.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sonic47
DIGGIN the color! Good work man!!
Thank you
Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Spongebrad Squarepants

looks like you are on the right track, or course. lol. sorry for the pun, but keep it up!!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice build and great work! It's really nice to see people doing their own work and it's actually quality work. I'm glad you are having fun autoX'ing.

Some advice would be what others have suggested, get "crappier" tires and learn to drive on those. It's a great driver training tool to learn some patience and throttle control. Secondly, I see that your tires are way too wide. Conventional theory says yes to the widest tire you can fit, however, with R Comps and no engine power, you will be wasting what very little power you have just to get the tires to rotate so you have low acceleration at corner exit. ST civics run very fast and nimble on 205 tires and even some 195's. The widest tire to go on a civic is a 215 which is already way too wide IMO.

Another note, suspension tuning is such a tricky art. However, there are some tricks! for starters, calculate roll center and CG. Get the roll couple for front and back and tune that couple! You will find that once you get a good roll couple, the car will handle amazing. Another tip, after your run, tires should be hot. Take temperature readings for all four wheels and for each wheel, measure inside, middle, and outside tread temperature. Dial in suspension geometry to get even temp across the tire. Your car will handle like a dream!

Obviously, just have fun...but it looks like you already do that!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vlude99
Very nice build and great work! It's really nice to see people doing their own work and it's actually quality work. I'm glad you are having fun autoX'ing.

Some advice would be what others have suggested, get "crappier" tires and learn to drive on those. It's a great driver training tool to learn some patience and throttle control. Secondly, I see that your tires are way too wide. Conventional theory says yes to the widest tire you can fit, however, with R Comps and no engine power, you will be wasting what very little power you have just to get the tires to rotate so you have low acceleration at corner exit. ST civics run very fast and nimble on 205 tires and even some 195's. The widest tire to go on a civic is a 215 which is already way too wide IMO.

Another note, suspension tuning is such a tricky art. However, there are some tricks! for starters, calculate roll center and CG. Get the roll couple for front and back and tune that couple! You will find that once you get a good roll couple, the car will handle amazing. Another tip, after your run, tires should be hot. Take temperature readings for all four wheels and for each wheel, measure inside, middle, and outside tread temperature. Dial in suspension geometry to get even temp across the tire. Your car will handle like a dream!

Obviously, just have fun...but it looks like you already do that!
Im looking into running 13x 10 which is a pretty commonly used size in E prepared. But also am getting some 195 50 for my current wheels. Prbally toyo r1r. Which is what most st cars run. We're still making changes to the car, mostly weight reduction and suspension tuning. The car is way underpowered for prepared class and I'll eventually build a motor, but for now like you said we're just trying to get the suspension dialed in.

Last edited by ClassicTuners; 02-10-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet man yeah I was seriously wondering why the heck you were doing to the fenders. Gag shot ftw