Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

New to HT - My EJ2

Old 10-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to HT - My EJ2

Hello all,

ive been browsing the forums off and on as a guest. I recently picked up a 93 Civic Coupe. Looking to get street and some track/autox out of it. I have a Jeep as my “daily” that gets me where I need to go. It’s awesome, i just missed compacts and wrenching on them. I’ve had 3 DSMs, a EP3 with a JRSC and the works (suspension/supporting bolt ons/rpf1s), had a CBR... all fun. The Jeep (JKU) is my baby no doubt. But she’s a dog. And that was before the extra hundreds of pounds added and 35s.

i was “inspired” to get a 90s honda by various YouTube channels and availability of cheap cars and parts. So i picked up the EJ2 for CHEAP. I filled the gas tank with $20, added 1.5 quarts of oil and drove it home 120+ miles. It had BLOWN shocks front and rear, 3 bald tires and a worn doughnut to ride on. Nervous ride home for sure, but no hiccups thank goodness!

93 Aztec Green EJ2 w/275k on the clock
d15b8 (purchased the car figuring it was packing a b7 due to the valve cover)
5 speed (atleast)
rough body
rough interior

..... but aside from the driver crank window regulator, everything works. It smokes (valve stem seals) but that’s OK. I would like a head swap at the very least soon. Has a DC header and some generic catback so that’s kinda cool. Overall the car is pretty filthy haha. I’ve yet to wash it inside or out aside from vacuuming out some broken glass out of the door panel.

Things I’ve picked up since the car:
used shocks with Tein Springs
RPF1 reps in 15x7 (sanded and painted white)
205/50r15 Kuhmos Ecstas
Spoon Rep Mirrors
OE Antenna delete
replacement fender (old was hit)
Black Housing Headlights
Amber Corner lights
Red/White Taillights
misc interior bits

First will be a MAJOR wash once have wheels and tires balanced and mounted. I need to pick up Lug nuts up. Next I’ll be focusing on getting the body patched up a little so it’s not such an eye sore in the garage.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Tlikethedrink; 04-19-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to HT - My EJ2

Got the tires mounted on wheels. Picked up lug nuts and new valve stems from autozone to get them on. Sits just as I was hoping for! (See pics).

cleaned up the garage and put tools back in order. That was a good excuse to drive it around the block a few times. Rides good. Few things on getttjnf bumped on priority list: Haynes Manual. Handy to have and ~$5 shipped on Amazon. I’m going to use those race car bumper ties to keep the glove box closed lol. Still on the top of the list is pressure washing seats and carpet. Also engine degreasing and exterior scrub down so I can start sanding and filling panels. Found a front bumper for $20. Will be picking that up,
Biggest dilemas are: to re spray the car in Aztec Green or change it up to white...also pretty certain I want an engine swap. But I can’t dscise if I want a D,B or even H. D16z6 would be a decent uograde and fit my needs. H22 would be awesome if I could swing it. B swap is probably the most common for a reason. I have plenty of time to think about it while I clean it up and fix little things like the window reg and windshield. it will have to be soon though. This thing smokes like crazy!
Old 10-09-2017, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see the potential for sure... Good luck with it man!
Old 10-09-2017, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by knuttveiten
I see the potential for sure... Good luck with it man!
thank you. She’s got a ways to go yet for sure! But I hope to have some good progress as time and money allow.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Started the Sanding/Body filler yesterday. Made decent progress. Decided to go with Championship White when the time comes. It’s cheaper than Aztec Green. I’ve also always have wanted a Champ White Honda. Not to mention it’ll be forgiving on my body work. I’ll also be spraying myself. Should be fun. Now would be the time to add a lip/wing if I can decide on it or not. (Pics this evening after I dust a little primer.

Haynes manual ordered. Holding off on the bumper ties for the glovebox until I have time to search the junkyards.

I’ve also thought about it... I may have access to my stock EP3 (04 Si) muffler. Currently the car has a can exhaust I’m not fond of. I’ll pick it up and save it for later when i focus on engine/performance stuff.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sand sand sand... wash prime sand
Think I’ll fix the cracks on this bumper and call it good. This isn’t a high dollar “build”!
Test painted the fender. Rattle can white. I think this will do. Also note the piece MIA off the bumper. This will stay. I can always paint a replacement easily.
Only concern with the “spray bomb” is the lack of UV longevity. But I can’t pass up a $20 paint job. And this thing will be garaged most of the time with my primary vehicle. Perks of a company daily! Going to need to re sand a few areas and lay high build primer. But this will work for a while.

My bondo not on fleek. Other details also to tend to.
Update:

been busy... not really with the car.

More body work done, primed areas and test painted a fender.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Need sanding and primer... again
Been working the body a lot more recently. That test fender opened my eyes a little on minimizing sanding and blending within sandable primer. Re working the test fender itself opened up my eyes to oil based paints biggest drawback of never really drying. Pruning over exposed “cracks” of paint clashed between the primer and white paint underneath. Easiest removal without gumming sand paper was to heat it up with a heat gun and, for lack of a better description, smear it off. Fun. So glad I didn’t do the rest of the car! Not that i still wouldn’t think about it completely, just feel like I’ve personally have too much elbow grease into this already to risk having to strip it all over again. So for now, rattle can is out.
Also, since I’m changing my mind I’m also going to keep the color as close to stock as possible. No need to paint the jambs or engine bay. I’ve found single stage paint for $120 per gallon. Can’t be as bad as spray paint.

New goal is spraying the car in the garage. I have the air compressor/gun+ filters. I have some paint experience, but this will be my biggest project to date.

Still need....
interior:
crank window reg(driver)
glovebox “fix”
seats (if the paint is good I’ll go NRG)
same with steering wheel

Exterior:
fix cracked or buy front bumper
fix cracked rear bumper
sand whole car with 6-800 to blend sanding
order paint (have at it!)
windshield after paint
Old 11-23-2017, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Digging the wheel choice!
Old 11-23-2017, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ericjergs
Digging the wheel choice!
thanks!

im picking up a bumper with fogs and a lip this weekend. Gonna fix the cracked rear and it’ll be just about ready to spray. Pretty excited
Old 11-28-2017, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

-Ordered the paint! Ordered window regulator and cranks too! Should be here in a week or so. I'm off for the later part of the month. I plan on painting it then.

-Picked up a bumper with fogs + lip. Sold the lip. So got the bumper & fogs for $20. The lip was too much for me. I like the BYS or Type R style.Plus I needed $ for the seats deal...

-Also picked up a set of EM1 seats. The stocks are dirty and torn. Bad... These aren't perfect but loads better. The head rest isn't stupid looking either like the stocks are. I wanted "race" buckets but these were a deal.

-used an old can of degreaser and sprayed out the engine bay. Pulled a few misc junk plastic and wiring out. I'm going to try and clean up as much as I can till I have to paint.

-body work came out decent! Need to putty fill a few spots to pass my QC. Rear bumper is patched ans sanded. Exhaust cut out trimmed and cleaned up too. Front needed a little love too. All n all, 90% ready for color!

Soon: clean interior and install seats. Install window regulator and re install door panels. I'm thinking of a cheap audio set up with a tucked radio. Maybe a Moogen steering wheel and shift **** to wrap up the interior for now.

Later: after paint but be for engine work... I've been thinking about aero mods i.e.: rear diffuser, winglets, splitters. Could save that $100 or so and add towards the engine but it could keep me busy and set the pace for future mods
Old 12-02-2017, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Em1 seats. Had to swap the inner rails and trim the driver side slightly
Gross
Pretty bad too
All washed up
Painted the tan pieces
Old 12-05-2017, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice to see another New Mexican on here. The civic definitely has potential, and good job taking on the task. Don't rush anything and take all the time needed to do it right the first time.

If you are on FB there is a group called ASR superlap. It is a local track to me that is around 4.5-5 hours from you. There are a few people that do come from Abq to hit the track.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ddwelch
Nice to see another New Mexican on here. The civic definitely has potential, and good job taking on the task. Don't rush anything and take all the time needed to do it right the first time.

If you are on FB there is a group called ASR superlap. It is a local track to me that is around 4.5-5 hours from you. There are a few people that do come from Abq to hit the track.
im in no rush since it’s just a project and not a means of transportation just yet. Thanks, it’s a good undertaking. Wish I had more time and money to put into it. But the slow going means nothing has been rushed.

I am, I’m from that area. Went to high school in Deming. Always see the track off the hwy. I wouldn’t mind running it!

still have a bit further to go before she’s running strong enough for a track. This weak d15b8 is gonna go in favor for something with about double the output.u

PM me your info. It is nice to know another NM guy is out there!

Last edited by Tlikethedrink; 01-24-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Freshened up the carpet well enough for me. Took a few days for everything to dry after a good pressure wash. It’s been cold in Albuquerque
95% done! Still need to clean the dash/plastics and reinstall trimming (handles and cranks). But it’s night and day from when I got it.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Last few days have been focused on the interior:
-purple and bubbly tint has been removed. This was NO FUN.
-got the carpet back in
-Seats back in
-vacuuming everything 2-3 times along the way

Today:
-Install window regulator (being delivered today)
-window cranks (delivered yesterday)
-button up trimming and clean up dash/plastics

Spitball Ideas:
- Door panels. I have some spare Comic Book material left over from a pillow project that never happened lol. Should I wrap the panels? Do people still do this? Too rice? Kinda right up my alley, but I’m not trying to have a dated or trashy look.

- Painting plastic pieces. I’m pretty content with the way the center console came out in the black. I’m thinking of spraying the dingy grey pieces. Thoughts?
Old 12-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Body work updates:

-Paint Delivered! Ordered a “generic” closest to stock color I can find. It’s actually a tad darker than Aztec’. It’s called Gulfstream Aqua Metallic of classic Mustangs. I dig it. I’ve had 67 and 68 Mustangs so that’s kinda cool. Really biggest determination was cost. Looked really close online.

-picked up filler putty. Have a few spots needing details filled.

-more primer/plastic primer. Decided to paint the license plate recess and other plastic trim to match. I feel it will give it all a more modern/finished look

-bumpers are about ready too. Front is a replacement that needs some detail work. Rear was repaired and is awaiting the skin coat of filler on the repairs and primer

-sand job (get it?). Whole car needs the final minimizing of scratches and blending. Some say 400, some say 600. 500 it is. Sound be safe to adhere and look clean.

Also, I’ve been trying to figure if I NEED to paint the bumpers separately. If I paint the car in my garage I will to save space. Possibly be a good smaller “test” batch before I rock out the whole car. Also my cousin offered up his hanger. It’s about 20-30 minutes away. I would basically have to assemble it, take it over break it down and mask it off there. Seems hectic and a bit of a mission when I can pace myself and am capable of painting in my own garage (3 car). Plus I feel like it’s part of the “experience”. But I may kick myself if it’s not a good turnout.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Def. gonna follow this thread. (Y)
Old 12-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Josip.
Def. gonna follow this thread. (Y)
Thank you, and welcome : )
Old 12-11-2017, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ddwelch

i joined the group. It'll be a little bit before this thing is capable of a, 600 mile round trip + track, trip.
definately interesting to see NM has a few Honda guys lingering. Look forward to following some builds closer to home.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Updates

interior is going to be good enough for now. There's too much else to do. I won't turn down a steering wheel for Christmas if it ends up under the tree.

body work is always getting closer and closer. Hood took more filling today. Bumpers need sanding. I also putty filled details and primed areas that have been sanded.

I black RTV'd the aftermarket corner lights. I'll be buffing all lights to get some new life from them. I picked them up cheap.they should look decent
Old 12-12-2017, 07:50 AM
Master Ninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell of a project you are undertaking. Good luck with it I'm in
Old 12-13-2017, 01:15 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Not too bad.

Ready to see the paint.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been a little cold to paint. Which is good cause I’ve been working on the hood still. im about to head to the store for some more black sandable primer.
I’m gonna give the entire car a coat so the paint “Base” is even in color. I’m not sure if it’s going to make a difference... but for $5 I’m willing to gamble just in case. If nothing else it should help with adhesion.

i can’t decide if I should assemble and rock it as is (flat black) or just knock out the paint job.

Pros to a primer paint job:
can wait till it’s warmer weather, can start driving, can focus on other aspects

cons: it’ll look a little trashy, I already paid for paint, I’ll have to go back and disassemble again.

Last edited by Tlikethedrink; 01-24-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Picked up a little steam today. Sanding down the primer I just layed. Whole car will be done and ready for paint tomorrow.
Bumpers will be done too. Home stretch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to HT - My EJ2