Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

My Project EG hatch: Progress pics will be added over time.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My Project EG hatch: Progress pics will be added over time. (...me0w)

nice....**** i need to go to bed.

edit: pg.....whatever page it is ownage.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you should've left the civic dash just my opinion though, g/l with the EG, looks good.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jc2801)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jc2801 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you should've left the civic dash just my opinion though, g/l with the EG, looks good.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Im gonna be running an EG dash for now...
Old 11-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Paul1985)

Cleaned up the upper control arms, will probably paint these tomorrow. These things were so filthy. Used so much degreaser and so much elbow grease to clean them up:

Picked up some gear to clean the undercarriage and fender walls. Got some real cheap degreaser, see how it goes. $10 for the degreaser and brush lol.

Removed doors:

Removed rear hatch:

Also, anyone know how to remove these black strips from the roof without destroying them???
Old 11-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paul1985 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also, anyone know how to remove these black strips from the roof without destroying them???
</TD></TR></TABLE>

slowly hit the ends of the stripe, both ends should slide foward...*correct me if im wrong*

Looks good so far...goodluck on the build-
Old 11-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VRD^sam)

Thanks for the tip
Ill give it a shot
Old 11-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

always love watching buildups like this. you're making some great progress so far
Old 11-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (donut.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by donut. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">always love watching buildups like this. you're making some great progress so far </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks donut.
This is my very first ever build/project.
Think ive seen your EG in a few threads. White one yeah?
Inspirational

Hope people like you can help me along the way
Old 11-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some more small updates:

Bagging some interior scrivets, clips, bolts etc. No hope of me remembering where they go otherwise:

Anyone know how to remove these clips without destroying them?

Aerial removed:

Ready for shaving:

Interior is completely bare minus the wiring now:

If anyone has any advice at all on engine bay shaving. Some tips and pointers and where to begin... id appreciate it so much. Im about to jump in the deep end and give it a shot, im completely new to this and dont really know where to begin
Im not sure on what to do about the seal sealer to clean it all up.

Heres my bay again, im thinking all the circled items can be shaved. Anyone see anything i should NOT shave??
Old 11-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got out this:

and this....

Bye, bye old prop valve bolts. Now i have to hide it under the dash, no option lol:

Seam sealer off. Stich welds next in line!

I decided to jump into the bay shave and just go for it, no turning back now.
Just stopped for a break and because i needed to look up some info.
Updates will be flowing in this couple of weeks
Old 11-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bucket and rag to cool down during welding.

Cover to protect my windscreen from weld spatter:

Some welded holes:

Same holes grinded back:

Stich welding the seams and a few holes welded and grinded:

Gonna be quiet a long task. Its extremely difficult to weld the holes that are only a single layer of metal. I might have to get some small bits of sheet metal behind the holes to help out.

I dont think ive started off too badly. At least im having a go
Wonder how the end result will be.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just some more welded holes:

I wasnt sure about a few holes so i didnt plug them yet. Came online and looked at a few EG pics with same engine and tucked. Worked out i dont need the circled holes.

The grinding is such a tedious and long task. I can see why it takes so long now. I can only imagine when its time to sand. My backs killing from bending down holding the grinder. I ended up grabbing a chair.

Plenty more grinding and a bit more welding to go tomorrow. Then it will be onto the passenger side.

Went to find some sheetmetal for filling the larger holes. $55 for the smallest piece. Just over 1m x 1m. Expensive. I got an old panel out the back somewhere.. Thinking of cutting it up and using that to save money. Not sure yet.

Wondering what primer to use and how to apply it?? Hmm. will have to research that too.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres a few pics of whats happening so far. Doesnt look like heaps is done but the grinding and welding takes quiet along time.

These areas ive welded and grinded back. They were difficult areas to weld as the metal is so thin. When i grinded the weld back it reopened the holes. Feels like hours of work down the drain on these areas
Nevermind, ill persist. Going to go get some sheetmetal and put that behind the holes and weld it shut (will have to put it infront in some areas. I should be able to smooth it all out though.

This is the one where my dad decided to help remove my old EG bracket without asking and drilled some big holes right through my rail rather than use my spot weld bit. I was so frustrated when he did it and now im having alot of trouble welding these holes up:

Did a little welding on the passenger (USDM Drivers) side today:

Ive decided im going to get a piece of sheet metal and put it over the middle of the bay to give it a smooth look. Dont think ive seen someone do this on an EG yet. But theres a shaved DA9 that has inspired me to do so.

Also going to put sheetmetal in the corner where it sits lower so i can get it all level.

Same on this side. Also to cover the big hole:

These pics are for anyone wanting to do an EG bay shave for reference. From my research i have found that these are the only holes needed when doing a full wire tuck and shave with a K-series engine on an EG:

The hole to the left of the mount bracket and just below the shock tower. You want to keep this one for your transmission earth:

You need to keep a couple of these ones for headlights:

These ones are obvious, Brake MC and Clutch MC holes.

And also the holes on the pass (USDM drivers) side radiator support for your radiator mounts, forgot to take a pic of this one.

Anyone have any idea on a good brand of filler and primer i can use?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Went and picked up my EG6 underdash harness.

Passenger side is coming along pretty well so far. Welded and grinded a few holes and began removing the seam sealer:

Mocking up a cardboard template for my sheetmetal cutout. Im going to re-do the cardboard. Im not happy with the size.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good so far

My recommendation is usually to do one project at a time i.e. interior/suspension/engine. Looks like its a little late for that though

As long as you can keep everything straight and keep yourself motivated then props to you!

and I've never heard anyone call a windshield a windscreen before, lol
Old 11-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Project EG hatch: Progress pics will be added over time. (Paul1985)

nice and clean keep up the good work
Old 11-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stevieteg)

great great job man, you have more updates than comments!

Old 11-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmsiR20)

Someone spraypainted my damn DD passenger window during the night
At least it was on the glass and not on the paintwork, managed to get pretty much all of it off. Lucky i didnt catch them doing it!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmsiR20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">great great job man, you have more updates than comments!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know.
ah well. Ill keep posting. Aslong as it interests/helps a couple of people its all good.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ej Girl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice and clean keep up the good work </TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks. Trying my best to keep it all clean.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stevieteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks good so far

My recommendation is usually to do one project at a time i.e. interior/suspension/engine. Looks like its a little late for that though

As long as you can keep everything straight and keep yourself motivated then props to you!

and I've never heard anyone call a windshield a windscreen before, lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am a little all over the place. I had plans change quiet a few times, made things a little messy lol. The car is getting a full re-spray anyway so its close to how i need it. Just need glass out and interior harness out. Painting arms/BB etc are just little side jobs to do.

Windscreen must be an aussie thing haha.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Fat Head

Default Re: My Project EG hatch: Progress pics will be added over time. (permaisuri)

Old 11-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im stuck with what i need to do after all the welding and grinding has been done because i hope to have that part all finished by the end of this week at the latest. I would appreciate it so much if some bodywork guys could give me some guidance on what to do from here...
Ive gone out of my league doing this shave but i figured i could get all the assistance i need online.

-Im guessing i wanna get out the orbital sander and sand the bay down from its original paint. If so, what grit should i use?
-Then i should clean everything up with wax and grease remover, especially the bare metal affected areas. (should i use some rust treatment or something like that?)
-Then spray down some rattle can primer (cheap rattlecan epoxy ok?)
-Then get some filler and start working with that.

Have i got it all wrong?
Or am i better to apply filler to bare metal.

Im so stuck with where to go next :S
Old 11-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like
Old 11-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ukdmegg5)

For anyone who cares. A DC2 underdash fusebox fits with an EG6 harness:

Got myself some 0.8mm sheetmetal (about to go buy hopefully some 2mm aswell). And got myself a welding magnet:

One firewall hole plugged!

I grinded this one back so that it doesnt protrude out from the firewall so i can give it a cleaner look. Will be getting plugged later:

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is ok to relocate this plate somewhere else?? I wanna put my battery terminal right where it is placed. Someone fill me in if its ok to relocate it or even remove it altogether!

And this is why i have momentarily stopped work. About to go out to go buy some new discs as you can see ive worn all the ones i had out lol:

Thats it for now. Ill get more pics up soon!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Fat Head

Default Re: (Sean Juan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sean Juan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You're crazy. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fat Head)

I am crazy haha. Huge learning experience thats for sure.
The worst part of this whole progress is the stress that its gonna turn out bad.. Im so paranoid that im gonna mess it all up

Havent had any series issues as of yet. The only things are light marks where i accidently lean the grinder when grinding ahah.. no biggie though, can be fixed.

Lets see if it warps, or cracks. I hope not. Trying my best to avoid all that kind of ****.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:44 PM

damnnnnn

Quick Reply: My Project EG hatch: Progress pics will be added over time.