Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Joey's '00 EM1 EBP Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Joey's '00 EM1 EBP Restoration

Originally Posted by joey1320

I used this plastic "razor" to remove most of the partssticking up from the gouges.
Where did you get that plastic razor from?
Old 05-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmo19d
Nice work man. What is the advantage/disadvantage of bypassing the IACV? Mine was nasty and made the car have a flucuating idle so I just took it off and cleaned it up. Wondering if maybe I should block it off?
Honda decided to use all these different idle controllers in an effort to get the best mpg's out of their engines. The problem with that is that you then have "too many cooks in the kitchen" issues.

You have an idle screw, iacv, fitv, and they all work against each other when the cars get older. By blocking off the iacv and bypassing it, I'm controlling my idle via my idle screw only. I haven't messed with it much, and I'm sure I have a vacuum leak, but at the moment the engine is a lot smoother than before.

One thing I would say though is that if you DD your car, these different controllers come together to make the engine the most efficient possible. So of you don't have any issues with yours, then leave them on.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by averyvm
Where did you get that plastic razor from?
We get them from a supplier but here you go

Amazon.com: Hardline Products Scraperite Plastic Razor Blades with Holder: Automotive Amazon.com: Hardline Products Scraperite Plastic Razor Blades with Holder: Automotive
Old 05-11-2015, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. I should have thought to search form 'em in amazon.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it was a busy weekend with the Si and I'm happy to say the car is finally on the road and legal. Friday night I was able to get a few things wrapped up and decided to get my *** to the BMV early Saturday.

I was out of the house by 7:30am and made it to the license bureau right as they opened. The lady I spoke with was really nice and she had to do an out of state inspection, which took less than 2 minutes - paid my $3.50 and was done. After that it was next door to the title bureau and all went smooth again. Paid $78.50 and walked out with an Ohio title in hand. Back to the license bureau and $18.50 later, I had 30 days tags. I was back home by 9:10am, ready to drink a cup of joe with the wifey and son

Full coverage insurance is set(funny that my agent couldn't understand why I wanted full) and now the plan is to drive it to work tomorrow and leave it there for me to work on it after hours. Can't wait to throw it on a lift and get to it.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I absolutely love your attention to detail on this resto I can't wait to read more. :-)
Old 05-13-2015, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Small update:

Found a local selling an era correct Neuspeed front strut brace super cheap. Score!!!
I was searching online for a strut bar(mainly looking for oem) when my brother told me about a guy on CL selling the Neuspeed for $40.
Texted the guy, made a deal and went to pick up the brace. The legs of the brace were really corroded so I did some cleaning and painting.

Finished product.

So like I mentioned on my last post, I got the plates and the car on the road. The plan was to take it to work, which I did yesterday and I began working on it today. I had an issue with my idle, it was high and I knew I had a major vacuum leak, so I decided to do a quick smoke test on it. Here's what I found.

This was after I had found the issue, you can see the culprit on top of the air box.

Dont mind the bumper. The bolt for the fender clip popped out.

Here's the motherfk'r. As you can see, the throttle body gasket is for a b16a2 but the throttle body is from a b18b. So because of the FITV, the gasket doesn't fit worth a damn. I have no clue how I missed this when I took the throttle body off to clean it before.

I went and got a new gasket after work and will be installing it tomorrow. After that I'll do another test to make sure there isn't anything else going on.
If not, then I'll be tackling the clutch and all the body panels.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Neuspeed strut bar for 40 bucks!? Nice pickup. I'm looking for front and rear too but really can't make up my mind on what I wanna get. Good catch on the idle problem also... i'm having issues right now as well.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is an awesome thread. I love that you take the time to fix things instead of just replacing things with whatever you can buy. IMO, 'fixing things' is a long lost art.

Great job here.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rdcd12
This is an awesome thread. I love that you take the time to fix things instead of just replacing things with whatever you can buy. IMO, 'fixing things' is a long lost art.

Great job here.
AGREED! Most dudes today can't build/fix anything. They'll swipe a card before they think of turning their wrench. Builds full of posts where they either drop it off for someone else to do, or buy the uber-expensive off-the-shelf part and say "look what I did!".

OP, while spending (less than, I presume, cause your awesome and talked him down EVER FURTHER, I'm sure) $40 on a used Neuspeed bar and restoring it to near-new condition doesn't qualify you for the baller-ist contest on the site, it makes you top-dog in my book.

Oh, how many threads I have seen of someone who drops their car off at the body shop in...let's just say February. Then, the next 6 months worth of posts are non-stop whining about how he is STILL waiting for the guys at the shop to finish his car. BUT, it's all good yo', b/c I've been chillin back at the crib collecting the whole Spoon Sports catalog, so I'm ready to bolt up my easy-peasy pre-fabricated parts when those slacker body-shop guys finally get off their lazy ***** and starts working for me!" Oh, the endless sea of threads...
Old 05-23-2015, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you guys for the compliments. I'm currently working on the AC system and getting that situated.

I'll be ordering my whole suspension setup and a mid-rise scissor lift for my garage, so I can do the work at home and not at work.

I'll update the thread with the AC info and the suspension in the next week or so.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking good
You and I discussed fenders awhile back if you still need the front right.

If you happen to come across an EBP bumper that isn't jacked up, keep me in mind!

Good luck man.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by purgat0ry
Looking good
You and I discussed fenders awhile back if you still need the front right.

If you happen to come across an EBP bumper that isn't jacked up, keep me in mind!

Good luck man.
I do need the fender cause the one I bought was not OEM and the paint doesn't match.

As far as bumpers, the one I had on was not OEM but it was painted to match quite well. I also have an OEM hood but it was repainted, if you are interested we can trade.

Send me pm bro. I'm down for that fender.

As far as the AC system, the compressor was shot and I need to get a new one, so Rockauto came through with a $145 Denso reman. Got the compressor and dryer, installed them and charged the system and all its working fine. Man I needed that.

I also got the power steering system hooked up, bled and working great. All new fluids and belts used.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great work man! Does honda still make the om muffler for the em1? I remember them having a stock tip that I remember thinking was awesome back in the day.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bootlegcivic
Great work man! Does honda still make the om muffler for the em1? I remember them having a stock tip that I remember thinking was awesome back in the day.
Nooope
My muffler rusted to pieces and I threw an Apexi WSII on it, junked that rust pile.

Kept the tip though
Old 05-29-2015, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joey1320
I do need the fender cause the one I bought was not OEM and the paint doesn't match.

As far as bumpers, the one I had on was not OEM but it was painted to match quite well. I also have an OEM hood but it was repainted, if you are interested we can trade.

Send me pm bro. I'm down for that fender.
Well, my hood is immaculate, but my bumper has seen better days once you actually get close and look at it, the connection portion to the lip is cracked and wearing pretty badly.
I may see if I can't just find a local guy whos not pants on head retarded to help fix it.

Otherwise, I'm sure we can work something out for the Fender.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm really wishing I had a place with garage right now, these de-rice/restoration threads get me all Honda nostalgic and I'd like to be ***** deep into a project right now. Great work, this is one of my favorite Hondas.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mojo_stevo
I'm really wishing I had a place with garage right now, these de-rice/restoration threads get me all Honda nostalgic and I'd like to be ***** deep into a project right now. Great work, this is one of my favorite Hondas.
Thanks bro. Glad you like the progress.

Sorry no pics this week but I finally grew a sack and ordered a mid-rise lift and my suspension components. Hopefully they will be here in a week or so.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This project of yours has inspired me to do some of these things to my 2000 Civic Si I just got in April. Glad to know people still have faith in the EM1 the first thing I will be doing is the Bolt clean up! that little trick will save me a lot of money from having to buy replacements. Thanks and will be following this thread til the end.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Great thread. Keep up the resto and good work.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well here's a nice update.

After much researching and working out the numbers, I finally decided on a suspension brand/setup for my car. I had a specific price in mind and I didn't want to go over it, plus I wanted quality bushings on all the suspension components and not some crap that wouldn't last. Taking these two things into perspective, I finally settled on TruHart.

At first I was a bit dubious with the brand - the lack of info on the forums about them was somewhat sketchy. Therefore I went ahead and emailed them and emailed them and emailed them... This has been going on since last November. I would send them an email everytime I had a question and to my surprise they were always extremely quick to answer. In all honesty, I kind of did this to see if they would get tired of my **** and just label me a "tire kicker"but they didn't. Dealing with Jerry and Michael at TruHart was phenomenal. Their customer service was second to none.

So after the brand meeting my specific price point and using Hard Race bushings, plus the warranty on the items and the great customer service, I was sold. I placed my order last Friday and I had all the parts by Wednesday. I will be doing a complete install and review in the next few weeks - stay tuned for that!!!

Here's What I got:

TruHart StreetPlus Coilovers
Front Upper Control Arms/Camber Kit
Rear Lower control Arms
Rear Upper Arms/Camber Kit

Old 06-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quality looks pretty good! I'm in need of some front upper arms on mine.... I may give these a shot? I have some pretty crazy updates coming soon enough as well man, my interior is in my basement and there are two holes cut out of my floor pan as we speak!
Old 06-07-2015, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just went through this whole thread and now I want to tear my EF apart and go to work haha.
Attention to detail is incredible!
Old 06-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jmo19d
Quality looks pretty good! I'm in need of some front upper arms on mine.... I may give these a shot? I have some pretty crazy updates coming soon enough as well man, my interior is in my basement and there are two holes cut out of my floor pan as we speak!
Damn so you went all out on that rust? Good man. Might as well catch it early.
Best of luck with the repairs.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally here!!!

It was a pain in the ******* to get this ****** out of the truck, since it weights over 900lbs, but ****, isn't it sexy?

Now I gotta get the electrical done and setup the ramps for the Civic. Of course I already have a few people waiting to have a go at it.

I hope to have the car on it by Saturday night, and start on the clutch and suspension

Quick Reply: Joey's '00 EM1 EBP Restoration