Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

An EM2 story...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: An EM2 story...

why are you going to go k24 now. did you not have a k20 before? If i am not mistaken that means new mounts wring ecu etc. but i could be completely wrong. I know the k24 makes more tq but is the minimal tq gain worth the extra few k it will take? j.w not in any way trying to bash your opinion. i am j/w why?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by recaroem2
why are you going to go k24 now. did you not have a k20 before? If i am not mistaken that means new mounts wring ecu etc. but i could be completely wrong. I know the k24 makes more tq but is the minimal tq gain worth the extra few k it will take? j.w not in any way trying to bash your opinion. i am j/w why?
Wiring is almost identical. The CPS wiring is the only real change. As for the mounts, he'd only have to change one mount (passenger side engine mount). Plus, he mentioned that his K20 block was completely toast, and that rebuilding it would cost around that of a fresh K24 setup.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by StockEm2
He could've simply swapped a k20a2 and have been slighty faster than a stock RSX-S , true. But doesnt the Acura come stock with a better suspension set up? Not to mention better seats etc. Resale value would be a lot better with the RSX too... oh yeah and if his car ever got stolen they would only pay for how much its worth and he would be out the swap money.
Resale value is only a factor for those who may sell their vehicle. This is not a concern of mine, as this is my "hot-rod", and will stay within my family for as long as I can toy around with it.

Refer to:

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
Wiring is almost identical. The CPS wiring is the only real change. As for the mounts, he'd only have to change one mount (passenger side engine mount). Plus, he mentioned that his K20 block was completely toast, and that rebuilding it would cost around that of a fresh K24 setup.
A K24 setup, with 88mm pistons (OEM Sleeves), new rods, balanced/lightened crank will cost the same as a new K20 setup for me. This way, I'll have greater flexibility and can sleeve the block later and go larger, or stroke it. My goal is around 290-300 fwhp, which is very doable in this age. When I reach this, it will be time to build a new motor, and change the car up quite a bit, again.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok cool. I was j.w. I do not know that much about the k24.. in comparison to the k20. I really like the car. If you have any parts for the k20 your looking to get rid of to make some extra cash i am going to start work again soon. I hope..... so let me know.. also how much $ does it take to make a k24 rev as high at a k20. also do the trannys match up or do u need tsx trans? thanks
also i am not sure of this but i have heard that in order to do k24 the car will not only need the passenger side mount but will also need a new sub frame ( which we need t use for our em2's) and will also need a k24 ecu. But i trust you both more and im sure you know what your doing by the looks of things!!!!!!!!!!!! I am just asking to better understand our cars and what we all have bin doing and in no way trying to challenge anyone. thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Sanji

ok cool. I was j.w. I do not know that much about the k24.. in comparison to the k20. I really like the car. If you have any parts for the k20 your looking to get rid of to make some extra cash i am going to start work again soon. I hope..... so let me know.. also how much $ does it take to make a k24 rev as high at a k20. also do the trannys match up or do u need tsx trans? thanks.

also i am not sure of this but i have heard that in order to do k24 the car will not only need the passenger side mount but will also need a new sub frame ( which we need t use for our em2's) and will also need a k24 ecu. But i trust you both more and im sure you know what your doing by the looks of things!!!!!!!!!!!! I am just asking to better understand our cars and what we all have bin doing and in no way trying to challenge anyone. thanks
I've been K24'd for over 3 years now.

1. You don't need a different sub-frame. The DC5/EP3 frames are the only ones you need for either swap.
2. You don't need a K24 ECU. You'd be stuck with limited K-Pro options if you did use it, but regardless a K20-based ECU with K-Pro comes with tons of K24 basemaps in the software.
3. The K24 transmission housing is quite different than that of the K20's. You would need to manufacture custom mounts to utilize it (no company manufactures mounts for it). Most any K-series transmission is a direct bolt-on. I'm running an '03 Type-S transmission on my K24A2, for example.
4. RPM's aren't as much of an issue on a K24, due to the stronger torque curve and power band in the low range. No longer do you have to scream the engine, just to feel the power. But, to try and get higher RPM's out of the rotating assembly, you would need to take a look at aftermarket or "frankenstein" build parts. 7600 is the redline on my engine stock, and I intend to keep it that way.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
I've been K24'd for over 3 years now.

1. You don't need a different sub-frame. The DC5/EP3 frames are the only ones you need for either swap.
2. You don't need a K24 ECU. You'd be stuck with limited K-Pro options if you did use it, but regardless a K20-based ECU with K-Pro comes with tons of K24 basemaps in the software.
3. The K24 transmission housing is quite different than that of the K20's. You would need to manufacture custom mounts to utilize it (no company manufactures mounts for it). Most any K-series transmission is a direct bolt-on. I'm running an '03 Type-S transmission on my K24A2, for example.
4. RPM's aren't as much of an issue on a K24, due to the stronger torque curve and power band in the low range. No longer do you have to scream the engine, just to feel the power. But, to try and get higher RPM's out of the rotating assembly, you would need to take a look at aftermarket or "frankenstein" build parts. 7600 is the redline on my engine stock, and I intend to keep it that way.
is the tq really that much different. i drove some tsx's when i worked at acura. they didnt seem to be faster then my k 20. i made 156ftq
Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm assuming your in a modded RSX and your basing your comparison to a stock TSX off the lot...

2 totally different cars....

when i rode in matts car it had real good torque...we didn't rev it to the moon or anything but its a very reliable car with power to boot...

you can't complain with that..

plus....no one expects to see a K in an em2...these 2 guys right here are the only 2 i know of in the midwest...i'm not saying there isn't more out there....i'm just saying these 2 guys are doing what needs to be done for the em2 community swap/parts/fab wise

but matt already knew all of this lol
Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 AM

beautiful car, keep up the good work
Old 07-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Capt. Jimbo McSubipants
i'm assuming your in a modded RSX and your basing your comparison to a stock TSX off the lot...

2 totally different cars....

when i rode in matts car it had real good torque...we didn't rev it to the moon or anything but its a very reliable car with power to boot...

you can't complain with that..

plus....no one expects to see a K in an em2...these 2 guys right here are the only 2 i know of in the midwest...i'm not saying there isn't more out there....i'm just saying these 2 guys are doing what needs to be done for the em2 community swap/parts/fab wise

but matt already knew all of this lol

i am not in an rsx i am in a k20 swaped em2.
but when i worked at acura i felt the rsx was fasten tsx. but i guess that has a lot to do with the weight
Old 07-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Sanji

i am not in an rsx i am in a k20 swaped em2.
but when i worked at acura i felt the rsx was fasten tsx. but i guess that has a lot to do with the weight
Yeah, either way you look at it, comparing a TSX to a K20A2 EM2 is a completely unfair comparison. It really doesn't hold much relevance to the conversation at hand.

TSX's weigh entirely too much to give a good comparison of the drivetrains.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lots of good conversation going on in here, and it appears I'm a bit late for it.

Small update, and this one is for you, Matt. I have redone my stereo setup, for something that has trunk space. It's not done, but will have a piece in front of the sub woofer, which will be able to be lifted upward. It's not done yet; yes, I know the pieces on the sides are not attached yet, and yes I know the sub woofer is not straight (it is a spare one used for test fitting).

Previous:

New:

Old 07-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lookin good as always man. I still gotta make it over your way and take a look at it and catch up with you a little. I don't think I've seen you since last summer.

You should pm me your number. I got a new phone a little while back and lost all my numbers.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you attend IA? any pics of your car?
Old 07-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good Shawn. Sorry I never got back to you this weekend.. I'll give you call sometime this week.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good man love the em2 ! :D
Old 07-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MR_EJ8
Lookin good as always man. I still gotta make it over your way and take a look at it and catch up with you a little. I don't think I've seen you since last summer.

You should pm me your number. I got a new phone a little while back and lost all my numbers.
I'll be down in a few weeks, for the Neon meet Colby is hosting!

Originally Posted by jamescardenas07
did you attend IA? any pics of your car?
I did not attend IA, although I wish I could have.

Originally Posted by loserlee
Looks good Shawn. Sorry I never got back to you this weekend.. I'll give you call sometime this week.
It's all good! Feel free to call whenever.

Originally Posted by exclusive_vtec
good man love the em2 ! :D
Thank you, and might I say, you have an interesting web site.

Small update from tonight:

Think of this as an idea running through my head.

And of course, I can not forget about these. PS - They will be getting switched around.

Last edited by k20whitevic; 07-27-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the point of having terminals underneath the car?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 9KRevLimitDC2
What is the point of having terminals underneath the car?
I am having them as an alternate means of charging, primarily during the winter months. I do not wish to have a charger of any kind, located within in the car. This will allow me to disconnect everything else, and not have to worry about removing the battery from the car.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sick EM2 yo? plannin on getting new rims?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by YAGYAGAN_JDM
sick EM2 yo? plannin on getting new rims?
Thank you, and no, the Mugen's will be on the car forever.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by k20whitevic
I am having them as an alternate means of charging, primarily during the winter months. I do not wish to have a charger of any kind, located within in the car. This will allow me to disconnect everything else, and not have to worry about removing the battery from the car.

i'm confused. your getting rid of the alternator?
Old 09-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for bumping a somewhat old thread, but are there any updates? I really like what you're doing. really.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, any updates? Haven't heard from you in a long time.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No new pictures, but please support the for sale thread.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Shawn, i see there haven't been any updates in quite a while. Still having problems with getting all of the old parts sold to fund the new build or what??

Quick Reply: An EM2 story...