Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

an ej7 that needed an intervention

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default an ej7 that needed an intervention

Searching craigslist one day I came across a 1997 HX with a 5lug conversion and a b16b with gsr trans.

I already drive a 2011 tacoma double cab 4x4 and wanted a project to work on. I thought the civic sounded cool so I went to check it out.

It definitely needed work, but with the 5lug and b16b it already had some potential. There was a lot of ebay mods, it had ugly wheels, a chipped p28 with god knows what kind of map on it, slammed on blown stock struts the a/c had been removed, the body was painted previously but neglected, the engine wire harness was hacked, and so on...

BUT the main thing is it had potential, so I ended up heading home with it. I was a little excited since its been 4 years since I've had a honda/acura.

Here's the rundown of what was supposedly on it the day I got it

-97 hx clear title
-250k on chassis
-unknown mileage on b16b longblock
-"skunk2" cams (I asked about springs and retainers and he looked bewildered. So I will be swapping these cams out for oem b16b ones when I get a chance)
-gsr trans w/ carbon synchros
-chipped p28 vtec@6k and redline @8k (I had to laugh)
-itr 5lug
-rota 16" gt3's with new tires
-ebay headlights
-ebay yonaka brand engine mounts
-ebay spark plug cover
-ebay front camber kit (ball joints totally F*cked)
-ebay rear camber kit
-thermowrapped ebay header smashed into oil pan
-blox rear lca's
-skunk2 drop springs on completely blown oem struts
-asr subframe brace with asr sway bar
-stainless greddy 2.25" catback
-thin side moldings
-sir bumpers (I think replicas)
-depo fogs
-interior is 100% untouched
-factory anti-theft
-amber side markers

My plans
-freshen up the b16b
-try and swap out the gsr trans for an lsd s4c (this will probably be the most difficult thing to source)
-get it tuned with hondata
-color change (I'm thinking toyota spruce mica)
-re-install the a/c
-basically CHANGE OUT TONS OF EBAY PARTS FOR BETTER OR OEM ONES YAY!!!!!
-get the car legal (out of state tags, needs inspections, etc)
-clean the car up with as much oem parts as I can
-ditch the rota wheels asap!
-new pads & rotors
-remove interior and scrub everything clean and re-install
-install my reclinable bride low max seats that I have
-install a small lightweight stealthy subwoofer setup (maybe one of those 13.5" slim JL subs in a slim box)

Anyway, I was in a rush to get to work the day I got it so I only snapped these 2 pics

I don't have a covered area to work on the car so most of what I do to the car will be "touch and go". Any major things that'll take more than one day will only be done when I can work in a covered workspace.

Last edited by B18CUL8R; 07-29-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: an ej7 that needed an intervention

The next day I started looking around for wheels and surprisingly came across a set of 15" ctr wheels for a good price. Called up my boy for tires, ended up getting new 195-50 dunlop direzzas for the ctr wheels after I took a picture of them. As soon as I got home I put the wheels on and stripped the old garbage purple tint off the car. I also sold those rotas just a few hours later. I felt like I had a way better starting platform now, and I hope to do the rest of the car the same way, swap out garbage for oem goodness.

Last edited by B18CUL8R; 07-29-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great start!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

While changing out the wheels I noticed the whole front crossmember was rusted out.

I had no option other than switching it out for one that wasn't rusty. Don't have pics of the process but thats the new one in the bed of my truck. Got the whole subframe/steering rack and lcas off a 99 civic with low miles for 100$. I didn't loop the rack I just plugged the lower hole and put a long rubber hose on the upper hole and ran it up by the brake booster. I put an air filter at the tip of the hose to vent the rack. There is still some fluid in the rack to keep it lubed but not enough for it to spew out if you crank the wheel full left to full right and vice versa.
Attached Images    

Last edited by B18CUL8R; 01-14-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just so I could stand looking at the bay for the time being, I degreased it a little, and painted the valve cover and condenser bracket. Put a new oem Honda battery. I ditched the red ebay spark plug cover for oem, and cut the aem cold air intake down into a short ram and painted it black. Installed new oem vc gasket, all my ac lines, and a toda replica header. switched out the aem fuel filter for oem after the pic was taken. Probably gonna try finding an arc intake box or something more permanent later on. Just couldn't afford to suck up any water with the cold air intake with the amount of rain that pisses down here.
Attached Images  

Last edited by B18CUL8R; 01-14-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably going to do a t-belt and water pump and thermostat soon just for the heck of it. I also noticed the radiator fan turns on when the engine is off and the key is on. If I pull the clip off the sensor on the thermostat housing it still stays on, if I pull the relay it goes off. I believe there a short in the engine harness or the fuse box is bad.

I had to put the car on stock suspension while I sorted out my suspension options and while getting the paperwork for the car squared away (it came from Georgia and here in Hawaii you're required to have a safety check)

On the bright side I just need a set of bride ek rails so I can put in these reclinable bride low max seats I have laying around. Its cool they are black with red stitches. Maybe I can have my back seats done in black and red to match.

Also ordered a set of 96-98 ctr headlights that will need to be refreshed.
Attached Images  

Last edited by B18CUL8R; 12-31-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:48 AM

Looking a lot better so far
Old 12-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden
Great start!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by James@Synchrotech
Looking a lot better so far
Thanks! I agree
Old 12-31-2014, 05:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

This is such a nice change to see some one doing it right. Can't wait to see more.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice work! Great starting platform as well. Previous owner had the..."right idea". Just, like you said, he need a little "intervention"
Old 01-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good so far. The sir bumpers look good. You keeping them or eventually doing 99/00 front end swap? Looking forward to see more updates
Old 01-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Canada96
Looking good so far. The sir bumpers look good. You keeping them or eventually doing 99/00 front end swap? Looking forward to see more updates
Thanks. Since I'm pretty sure these are replica bumpers (bad fitment) I was planning on getting an oem 99-00 rear bumper with an oem rear lip, and also a regular 96-98 front bumper with oem ctr grill. I am planning to keep the front lip I have already. I would have switched to a 99-00 front end but I spent some bucks on these oem gunmetal ctr headlights that I ordered. I can't wait for them to arrive.

small update:

I really want to get rid of the ebay yonaka mounts that have been installed on the car by a previous owner. I found a set of (used but in good condition) oem mounts off a b16. I cleaned the rubber with brake cleaner, and filled the centers with 3M Windo-weld. After it cured I degreased the outsides of the mounts and then spray painted them for aesthetic purposes. I had a set of brand new oem torque mounts waiting to install so I filled them too. Can't wait to install it all and make the horrible cabin vibration disappear.
Attached Images      

Last edited by B18CUL8R; 01-08-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Nice! I wonder how long those last versus OEM replacements.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice. i would have bought mounts, instead of filing the oem ones, but building is coming along nicely regardless.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden
Nice! I wonder how long those last versus OEM replacements.
There was one thread on here somewhere, the guy did the same thing and ran them for 10+ years with no problems. I still have my employee discount at honda because I worked parts counter there for a few years, I just didn't feel like paying more for new mounts. The guy that I got the oem mounts from switched his perfectly good oem mounts to the yonaka mounts that Im getting rid of. LOL Ironic!

Anyhow, I installed the mounts and it feels 500x better now without the annoying vibration of every single little interior plastic lol. I just want to find another colored valve cover breather filter, and intake coupler.
Attached Images  

Last edited by B18CUL8R; 01-08-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by StreetLethaleg6
very nice. i would have bought mounts, instead of filing the oem ones, but building is coming along nicely regardless.
I'm using oem mounts because I can't stand the vibration caused by aftermarket mounts.

The oem mounts are very solid after being filled, and have zero vibration.

ANYHOW

I ended up installing the ctr headlights, a ctr grill, and clear depo side markers. I put in a new engine wire harness and a obd2a ctr ecu and the car ran perfect. Also bought a set of d2 coil overs and slammed it.

I ended up getting an offer for the car that I couldn't refuse so I sold the car

Last edited by B18CUL8R; 04-28-2015 at 03:26 PM.