Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Deetz Accord 6-6 Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 05:53 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Deetz Accord 6-6 Project

Well, keeping things interesting, I’m going to freshen up an Accord this time. I found an EX-L coupe with 6 speed manual transmission with a genuine HFP kit a few months ago. Buying it for $2500 for a new daily for this upcoming summer. I got it cheap as the power locks and windows didn’t work, and though the car ran ok, it had an engine miss, running off 5 cylinders. It has 120k on it, and came from the West coast, so never really seen much winter, or any. Super clean body with zero rust anywhere.....my kind of project! The only other wired thing in its history was that it lived as a sound car, with big sound system at some point, with only thing remaining, is dynomat run throughout the car. I was wondering why it was so quiet, lol

Here are a couple shots as I pretty much got it, with only some Canada only, Acura CSX Type S alloy wheels and tires
Attached Images    

Last edited by Deetz; 03-20-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:04 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Default Re: Deetz Accord 6-6 Project

After buying it, I realized it’s a bit of an underdog, with only a few knowing what the car actually is. The 6 speed really wakes the engine up, resulting with an oem 0-60 time of 5.6 seconds, not bad for an Accord. This generation is lighter than the newer models, and seems to handle pretty good. I did end up trading some guy on a local car parts site, my stock oem exhaust, straight up for a Magnaflow cat back. It’s still pretty quiet. I also sourced out a couple cheap parts off a local seller on eBay, earning an aem V2 cold air intake for $50 and Neuspeed front strut bar.

Suspension needs are coming up soon too.....
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

This car was not cheap, back in the day. An manual coupe would list for 35k, and another 3k for it to be HFP optioned. It was well addressed back then, with the cluster LED lighting, plus steering wheel stereo controls and cruise. I was lucky to run across a similar model at pick n pull, and found an oem iPod and iPhone adapter that set me back $8
Attached Images    
Old 03-21-2018, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Definitely a good looking car, I'm in for this.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice, I forget these exist! What ended up being the issue with the misfire?
Old 03-22-2018, 08:19 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by Ericjergs
Nice, I forget these exist! What ended up being the issue with the misfire?
I haven't worked on the engine yet, the car has been parked for the winter. Soon though.

I had some luck at the junk yard, and found an Acura TSX. It had a mint steering wheel, and as it turns out, it shares the sane wheel as the V6 Accord coupe with the exception the side being a different leather, and the control buttons being in silver.This car had a perfect wheel, better than mine, so i snagged it fora whole $10
Attached Images    
Old 03-23-2018, 08:17 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Suspension day today. I got a new set of Tein H-Tech coil springs, for a mild drop, great for a daily driver. Also in from eBay, came some Tokico HTS fully adjustable struts. Replacing these will tighten the front end back up, as well as improve handling and ride quality. The car also has a stripped wheel stud, so I ordered in a new set of wheel hubs and wheel bearings, and a pair of ball joints. I think it may be a good time to change out the tie rods, and end links too.
Doing some additional research, I learned Accords of this generation can be easily upgraded with a bolt on of the Acura TL Type S rear sway bar, bushings and brackets. I ordered them up today, can’t wait to put these mods up to the test to see what gains they offer all together
Attached Images   
Old 03-23-2018, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a pretty solid plan
Old 03-23-2018, 08:32 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by GreatWave
Sounds like a pretty solid plan
Thanks man! Since I got the car so cheap, I don’t mind give it a complete refresh. I’ll hold onto this car for a while, so it’s worth it
Old 03-24-2018, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Let me know what you think of the h techs. I have a 06-6-6 sedan that I daily and have debated running them. These are underrated cars. The V6 is a smooth engine and I get about 25mpg for a full tank of average driving.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by Casey
Let me know what you think of the h techs. I have a 06-6-6 sedan that I daily and have debated running them.
The weather has still been bad this season so far, snow everywhere. Hopefully soon, spring will break!

in the mean time, I’ve been collecting parts like a crazy person. A popular mod many people do, is a rear sway bar upgrade with a 20mm TL Type S as a direct bolt on. It is cheap and easy to do, and many consider a “best band for the buck”. A stripped wheel stud convinced me to get some new wheel hub and bearings to refresh as well.

Found some cheap heap new keys on eBay for $12 shipped for the pair, and was on the Hunt for for some new clamps for an aem cai I tracked down. Last but not least is a 2010 Civic Si oem shift **** to clean things up a bit for $20

Attached Images    
Old 05-08-2018, 06:26 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Now that spring is really here, I am to get this car started​​​​​! I got the car cheap because the power locks and windows didn’t work, and an engine missfifre. I did the window regulators a couple of days ago, and the driver side had a couple of surprises for me. The door panel had been removed earlier by the previous owner and he zapped a couple of screw through the door shell and one through the original regulator to stop the window from falling down, pretty sad. No motor there either, lol new complete assemblies cost me $40 each, I really wonder how this easy fix could be overlooked with a crap solution.

They work good now, an hour of labor and done!!! One other thing that made me chuckle when pulling things apart was the speakers. This car spent its early years as a sound car, it had some extra things installed in it, one of which was the entire car has Dynomat installed, the car is very solid. I’m sure it weights a bit more, but don’t mind as it’s cracy quiet cruising, and the doors and truck shut so smooth and solid. Here is the really funny part, Turns out all the speakers left in the car, are from a Ferrari, lol

Old 05-08-2018, 06:40 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Today’s task was wrapping up the AEM cold air intake that cost me $50 off eBay. I wanted to clean it up a little, and make it look a little better. A quick layer of heat wrap, and ready to go!

Last edited by Deetz; 05-08-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
Now that spring is really here, I am to get this car started​​​​​! I got the car cheap because the power locks and windows didn’t work, and an engine missfifre. I did the window regulators a couple of days ago, and the driver side had a couple of surprises for me. The door panel had been removed earlier by the previous owner and he zapped a couple of screw through the door shell and one through the original regulator to stop the window from falling down, pretty sad. No motor there either, lol new complete assemblies cost me $40 each, I really wonder how this easy fix could be overlooked with a crap solution.

They work good now, an hour of labor and done!!! One other thing that made me chuckle when pulling things apart was the speakers. This car spent its early years as a sound car, it had some extra things installed in it, one of which was the entire car has Dynomat installed, the car is very solid. I’m sure it weights a bit more, but don’t mind as it’s cracy quiet cruising, and the doors and truck shut so smooth and solid. Here is the really funny part, Turns out all the speakers left in the car, are from a Ferrari, lol

Lol that's hilarious
Old 05-16-2018, 06:26 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Today’s news......I have not lowered the car yet, but it’s coming, soon! Last weekend I ran across a deal that couldn’t be refused, and found a different set of rims. They are SSR Type C 17x8.5 with a 58ET. They had zero curb rash, and two of the four tires were still good, Michelin’s Pilot aSports with 245/40R7 tire size, cost $350, and all center caps included, and lugnuts

Old 05-16-2018, 06:28 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

I threw the couple bald tire ones on the front to check for clearance, as they are so wide, all it good both for the large front calipers, and clearance for the knuckle behind

Old 05-16-2018, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good!!
Old 05-20-2018, 08:38 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Spent my free time this weekend installing the new struts and spring, it has a much better stance now, great for a daily driver

Old 05-21-2018, 11:55 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

More done today- power door lock actuators, finished off the window regulators with glass installed. Installed some JL Audio 6 1/2” mid drivers in the door, and buttoned it all back up

Also, just got a call from my wheel guy, new tires mounted up, they fit the wheel well! Pirelli Pilot Sport A/S 3

Old 05-23-2018, 08:15 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Old 07-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Well, I got bitter sweet news in the last couple of days about my car. I did buy the car cheap, as it was running off of 5 cylinders, and found out it had damage to number 2. I decided to bite the bullet and see my local jdm supplier and picked up a low mileage jdm version. Picked it up today from one of the guys there.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:53 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Old 07-08-2018, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn that sucks that it wasn't something easy.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:53 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by Ericjergs
Damn that sucks that it wasn't something easy.
True, but it didn’t set me back much at least. Between purchasing the engine, and selling off a couple other parts, I’m only set back $350. I’ll go a couple extra steps now and do the rear main seal, timing belt, drive belt and clutch. This should complete the mechanical updates for the car, and reliability of the car for the long term!
Old 07-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that's definitely not too bad! Should be well sorted when you're all done.

Quick Reply: Deetz Accord 6-6 Project