Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Back at it again with an EK hatch build

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back at it again with an EK hatch build

*DISCLAIMER*
This build may not be for everyone so if it bothers you that much feel free to click back.

So a couple of buddies and I decided to do a little group project (drag car but still clean) since it's 1000x cheaper than it would cost to build our other cars. so i will try to document every little bit of change that the hatch goes through.. please be patient and enjoy!

It's a 96 civic with 200xxx miles on the body. Currently has a d16 series with unknown miles and big oil leak from somewhere. Luckily it already came equipped with 00-99 front end conversion, front seats and power window/ lock conversion. I was also lucky enough to have rusty quarter panels on both sides...YAY!

Yes i know this is a rusty shell that will take some time and money to clean up but don't all projects start off like that?? Also note that this chassis was for the FREE so dont comment saying "You have a GTR why would you BUY a rusty civic when there are better ones out there" #stfu
First off let me show you some of my old and current toys so you guys can have a better idea of how this project will end up..

850hp evo 8 (sold)

500hp s2000 (sold)

580hp C5 Procharged Vette (current)

750hp FBO GTR (current daily)

On to the EK hatch...

Last edited by Darkn3s; 02-23-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Back at it again with an EK hatch build

First task was to remove the stupid stickers

Old 02-21-2017, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since most of the ac lines were alreadh missing decided to remove the entire ac kit... for now at least
Old 02-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh damn didnt notice these images were huge since i uploaded from my phone.. is there anyway to make them upload smaller?
Old 02-21-2017, 03:46 PM
Master Ninja

Damn! Very nice builds OP. I'm very much in for this

Also somebody loves purple lol.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eddie
Damn! Very nice builds OP. I'm very much in for this

Also somebody loves purple lol.
haha yea that's my signature on my builds lol
Old 02-21-2017, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi I have a question, I just bought a 98 EK Civic, no engine or tranny yet, should I get a B18 Engine or a B20 Engine? I do want to turbo it... Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Decided to change out the dusty shift boot with the common eBay black suede/ red stitch shift boot. It does look ALOT better tho

Last edited by Darkn3s; 02-23-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Brandoo
Hi I have a question, I just bought a 98 EK Civic, no engine or tranny yet, should I get a B18 Engine or a B20 Engine? I do want to turbo it... Any ideas or suggestions?
i may not be the best one to be asking since I myself am getting back into the civic scene so still doing research. But I've heard people go more towards a sleeved b20 bottom end and a gsr head combo for boost.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Gonna call a bluff on this whole thread. Sorry, I'm an OG builder, been at this a long time.

Here's 2 quick reasons why:

1. We'll, there's no way someone with a Corvette and a GTR of the quality pictured (or, just period) would have enough ignorance to take on this project. Someone with an IQ and checkbook of that nature would not buy a Civic with rusted out rear quarters. They would wait for a clean chassis, as plenty are out there in the US. Even if they lived in a hard-winter state, they would surely know the cost of time and money to cut/weld/smooth-in the new rear quarters would far outweigh the costs to ship a rust-free chassis in from a dry state.

2. First mod was an Ebay shift boot...not even an OEM ITR boot....on a gray center console...with multiple pictures of it, as if we needed an illustration of ricer-boy mods?

Things just aren't lining up with past builds versus present choices. And if they are, this build AND thread are off to an odd start...

One fact that this could legitimately be the same owner of all cars presented is the graphics on the rear of the GTR, referring to "the nudes". You know, children ride on the roads as well? I'd be super-pissed trying to explain your decal to my children while waiting behind you at a stop light. And you daily this thing? That's not cool, that's distasteful, and rude to make other pedestrians and their young ones endure such explicit language.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by OG Wagon
Gonna call a bluff on this whole thread. Sorry, I'm an OG builder, been at this a long time.

1. We'll, there's no way someone with a Corvette and a GTR of the quality pictured (or, just period) would have enough ignorance to take on this project. Someone with an IQ and checkbook of that nature would not buy a Civic with rusted out rear quarters. They would wait for a clean chassis, as plenty are out there in the US. Even if they lived in a hard-winter state, they would surely know the cost of time and money to cut/weld/smooth-in the new rear quarters would far outweigh the costs to ship a rust-free chassis in from a dry state.

2. First mod was an Ebay shift boot...not even an OEM ITR boot....on a gray center console...with multiple pictures of it, as if we needed an illustration of ricer-boy mods?

Things just aren't lining up with past builds versus present choices. And if they are, this build AND thread are off to an odd start...

One fact that this could legitimately be the same owner of all cars presented is the graphics on the rear of the GTR, referring to "the nudes". You know, children ride on the roads as well? I'd be super-pissed trying to explain your decal to my children while waiting behind you at a stop light. And you daily this thing? That's not cool, that's distasteful, and rude to make other pedestrians and their young ones endure such explicit language.
pssst

Check out the last pic of post #2

(There is the GTR and corvette)
Old 02-21-2017, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-22-2017, 03:51 AM
Master Ninja

OG Wagon the back button is right over there, use it
Old 02-22-2017, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So since I have ownded 2 evos and a c6 z06 etc I cant be building a 91 sedan ? lmao too funny
Old 02-22-2017, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not too mention there's some photos of the evo on the wall in those photos of the NON JDM center console!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to know what op does makes good $$ looks like lol
Old 02-22-2017, 08:07 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

He gets dem nudes
Old 02-22-2017, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is too funny.. wow we have an OG builder guys WATCH OUT this guy knows his ****. But no seriously just because i own a vette and GTR doesnt mean i cant be a civic enthusiast. An Ek civic was actually the first car i have owned and always had love for the Hondas. I have owned a good amount of hondas but didnt want to fill up my first post with my entire car history, just the ones that stood out to me. All builds start from somewhere. Who cares if we chose to use this free rusty chassis as our "project" car, we're aware that its gonna take some time and money but who cares THATS WHAT MAKES IT A PROJECT! Why are you so bothered about this? Maybe you should do like one of the other members recommended and click the BACK button.

If you are still having a hard time believing that i really do own the cars in the pictures above lmk and ill send you my FB, IG and snap.. Thanks for the bump tho!

-MR. DM the Nudes
Old 02-22-2017, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I will admit I thought the same thing as well, 80k plus GTR as a daily, Corvette to play with and the choice of a rusted Civic of all things to build for appearance.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
pssst

Check out the last pic of post #2

(There is the GTR and corvette)
Hahaha im sure he just skimmed through the rusty hatch pics haha #idiot

Originally Posted by ssmrico
So since I have ownded 2 evos and a c6 z06 etc I cant be building a 91 sedan ? lmao too funny
Yea man youre stupid if you do that and i also dont believe you have owned those cars unless you send me a pic with you and car holding 2 red balloons with a calendar pointing to todays date

Originally Posted by 0c00l
Not too mention there's some photos of the evo on the wall in those photos of the NON JDM center console!
Exactly

Originally Posted by ssmrico
I want to know what op does makes good $$ looks like lol
Parents are RICH! jk bro just work hard man

Originally Posted by Caoboy
He gets dem nudes
It actually did work haha.. BTW decal was temp for a car show and photoshoot
Old 02-22-2017, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
I will admit I thought the same thing as well, 80k plus GTR as a daily, Corvette to play with and the choice of a rusted Civic of all things to build for appearance.
That shouldnt matter.. Just ignore the fact that i have a GTR. Civic is eventually gonna be a gutted drag car, not show.. clean yes but not show. Civic was also free so not complaining at all
Old 02-22-2017, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hah
a at the first post now. ah that was a good start to this thread. anyways a jokes aside cant wait for what's in store. this is my 91 tear tdown started for head gasket and new FFM kit and some other upgrades.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkn3s
That shouldnt matter.. Just ignore the fact that i have a GTR. Civic is eventually gonna be a gutted drag car, not show.. clean yes but not show. Civic was also free so not complaining at all
Ok I get it, so you're going to start replacing the interior parts to just pull it back out when you decide to gut it for a drag car. I guess I got confused since this was the appearance build thread and not the drag racing thread.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
Ok I get it, so you're going to start replacing the interior parts to just pull it back out when you decide to gut it for a drag car. I guess I got confused since this was the appearance build thread and not the drag racing thread.
if you're referring to the shift boot as replacing interior parts then yes I guess so lol. Friend gave it to me so why not. I also did not know there were two separate build type of threads. Should I delete this one or will I be okay?? 😏
Old 02-22-2017, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u can have a moderator move it. they did the same with mines after I asked

Quick Reply: Back at it again with an EK hatch build