Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

94 Accord Wagon Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 94 Accord Wagon Build

Well after what seems like a lifetime it's finally time to finish this pile. Last night I got most all of my parts dug out and halfway organized. So far I haven't seem to have lost anything. No pictures of the stuff I did today as it was mainly cleaning (inside and outside of the transmission case and all my heat treated gears). But I did manage to get the short black put together tonight. I will get some more pictures tomorrow and the following days.

Picture of all the junk to be put together

I did end up having a CSS installed in my block

Going to try to make it to IA in Atlanta in 4 weeks. Fingers crossed

Some things have changed on my build but this is what it's going to be

H22A4
Eagle H Beam Rods W/ARP 2000 Bolts
Mahle Gold Pistons 87.25 8:1
CSS
The block was decked 40 thousandths
KS Balance Shaft Delete
KS Manual Tensioner
Oil Squirter Delete
ARP Head Studs
Ferrea Springs/Valves/TI Retainers/Locks
Kelford Cams
Skunk2 Pro Series Cam Gears
Skunk2 Pro Series Intake
Skunk2 Pro Series Throttle Body
Golden Eagle Fuel Rail
2200cc Injectors
Hondata CPR
Hondata S300V3
ATI Fluid Damper
MFactory LSD
MFactory Machined F22 5th Gear
Syncrotech Carbon Synchros
ACL Race Bearings
Old 02-19-2018, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure why the first picture is sideways but I can't rotate it. Nothing to special to look at.

Got the head completely disassembled and tomorrow I plan on dropping it and the intake off to be sonic cleaned.

Crazy what the exhaust valves looked like with less than 5k on the build.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow.... those are some crusty exhaust valves for only 5k. Most 200k valves don't even look like that..... I'm guessing it wasn't running all that well with them like that. Looks like it was burning though a quart of oil a day......
Old 02-21-2018, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Wow.... those are some crusty exhaust valves for only 5k. Most 200k valves don't even look like that..... I'm guessing it wasn't running all that well with them like that. Looks like it was burning though a quart of oil a day......
It didn't run very well at all. The original build I used type-s pistons, hytech header, pro series intake, decked the head, and I only made 161 whp. I had later figured out my exhaust was stopped up pretty bad and had a cylinder out of round (I knew about the cylinder when I had the machine work done but decided to run it anyway)
Old 04-12-2018, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure why but I lost quite a few pictures. I dropped the head off and got it cleaned up. My Ferrea competition plus components came in too. Originally we installed the K line bronze guide liners but ended up having a problem with one of them (not a problem with the liner, the guide was actually split). I ended up deciding not to use them after all the work and time wasted to install them, and just installed bronze guides.

For those who may be interested I will include some pictures of the guide liners. This is the first time I've used the pneumatic fixture. The other one I used was manual but works the same. To sum it up you are drilling the guide and installing a liner. Then expanding the liner to accept the valve, trim the liner and hone and you are good to go.

I did get brake lines bent and the prop valve installed. I removed the old gas tank and fuel filler neck. I got replacements for both. I installed the walbro 450lph pump. I'm waiting on the AN fittings for the tank now, the factory rubber line that came off the tank to the body was rotted. Might as well upgrade that while I am in there.

I removed the rear lower control arms and toe arms. I had to cut the bolts on the toe arms where they had seized. The rear strut bushing was also gone. So I got the knuckle removed and the old busing out. Still have to install the new one. Hardly any pictures from thus weekend but I will have a ton more to upload in the following days.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I didn't make my goal of getting the car done in time for Import Alliance in Atlanta. I had to get some valve seats replaced and the first machine shop gave me the run around for 3 weeks before I picked it up and took it to another machine shop. I hope to get it back this coming up week.

I've been super busy so I haven't got to do as much as I wanted to. Here are some pictures of the section of fuel line I replaced.

New gas tank installed and started to clean up the underside of the car but I still have quite a bit of that left to do.

I had put all the molding on the car and the glass in the doors and forgot to install the trim that is at the b pillar. So I had to take the glass back out to get them installed.

And I took my calipers apart and repainted them and got them installed. I would like to get some of the ARP hardware for them.

I started making a fan shroud too. But that's where I am now.

I'm kinda aggrivated over the paint. The car still hasn't been wet sanded or buffed so I know alot of the imperfections will come out. But the primer has shrank up a substantial amount. I'm not sure why, I used rage gold and have never had that issue before. The car even sat in primer for nearly 4 months so it should have shrank as much as it was going to. So I'm going to have it re sprayed. I will start with the bay for now and when I get the car running re shoot the outside.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:38 PM
footwork mastery

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool build always thought one of these would be fun.

Is that your garage or a shop you’re borrowing? It’s amazing
Old 04-14-2018, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. It depends on what pictures you are referrng to, if it's the ones with the lifts and all the boxes/cabinets thats my friends garage. He definitely a nice setup
Old 06-19-2018, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've not made as much progress as I'd like to make. The machine shop was a my biggest hold up, nearly 6 weeks to replace seats and install guides. But I'm slowly making progress.

I can't get some of these pictures to rotate for some reason. Got started assembling the head. Ferrea clmpetition plus valve train, titanium retainers, and bronze guides.

Installed the Kelford cams and got them degreed.

ATI Race Damper on and I also picked up one of the 1320 performance timing tensioners. It's a really nice piece but other than modifying the timing cover I had to rework the oil dipstick tube.

I had all my vacuum ports welded up and some -4an bungs welded to the intake. New fuel rail is on and so is the Skunk2 vtec solenoid. Not sure how well it can be seen but I added an additional oil feed to the head.

Got the bay re sprayed after I cut the holes for the intercooler piping

Spec stage 5 clutch installed for the time being. I should have got a twin disc but until then this will be in its place.

And finally after what seems like forever we got the engine sat in. Still a ton left to do but at least progress is being made

Old 06-19-2018, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice

Some things I would change, but its still a bad *** build.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Small updates. Got my 2200cc injectors installed after having to modify the injector spacers. They were a larger diameter than the opening in the fuel rail. No big deal. Got the rest of the vtec solenoid put on and started making a template for a coolant filler neck. I put my fuel pressure regulator on too but after additional spacing for the injectors it pushed the regulator back into the throttle body.

I'm hoping I can get a 1.5 inch extension fitting and it put the regulator back out of the way otherwise I'm going to have to have it at an angle

I put the turbo and manifold on and mounted the radiator but I don't have hardly any room for a fan so I'm not sure what I am going to do about that.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was able to find an extension fitting to move my fuel pressure regulator out enough to not have clearance issues with my throttle body.

Got my alternator on and relocated using the innovative bracket.

I had my manifold ceramic coated too but I held off on the downpipe; dump tube for the gate and the turbine housing. I think I'm going to have the downpipe and dump tube re done and I might need a bigger exhaust housing. -16AN fitting welded on the front water neck and I got that that installed. And I got my coolant filler neck/box positioned and dropped it off to be finish welded.

And I had to cut my fan shroud down quite a bit. It was 1" thick now it's about 3/8 thick. Not thrilled about it but it's better than none at all. I was only able to use one fan too. But now I have clearance. Barely.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got my coolant filler finished and installed. Made upper and lower radiator hoses and got a clutch line. I had Techna-fit make my clutch line, other than me having them make it longer than it needed to be it was a nice piece.

KS Tuned coil plate fits great. Starting on the harness today. Hopefully going to fire the car up this week.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I figured out my charging issue, after 3 alternators and pulling all the alternator wiring out and checking it. It turned out to be a bad battery, it was brand new but was bad.

Got the brakes bled for the second time due to the line above the tank exploding. Of course I had a decent amount of fuel in it. But my pedal feels weird? Not super hard or soft but I guess the real test will be when it moves.

Had a problem with the cooling fan only working after the engine shut off. I think the relay fan timer deal under the dash was bad but I was able to bypass it and the fan works as it should now.

And I got the car running and heat cycle a few times. Initial start and heat cycle sounded great. After that what seemed to be a top end rattle developed at idle and lower rpm. It doesn't get louder when rpm increases. And it comes and completely stops. The valves were adjusted wrong, I didn't read all my cam card so it was my fault. It wanted .012 clearance at the valve tip at temperature. NOT the rocker pads. Which turned out to be .006 at the rocker pad... But after figuring that out the rattle almost went away. But I think the adjuster screws may have sustained damage. I couldn't see anything but I'm hoping new ones will eliminate the noise.

Expected unexpected issues, it's part of it. I will get some idle video and some more pictures for you guys when I put the cams back in it.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The build is hot FIRE dude, holy
Old 09-16-2018, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LankorDie
The build is hot FIRE dude, holy
Thanks dude!

So I got all my new adjusters in and installed and I believe that's what was causing my noise? They didn't look horrible but they showed some use.

We got the car to idle after chasing problems that turned out to be a battery. And now when the fan kicks on it bogs down the car pretty bad, that's next on the list to figure out.

Here is some idle video. Idle is right around 1800 rpm
Old 01-08-2019, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've not done a hole lot. I had to take the radiator back out because one of the tabs on the fan shroud broke off. Had the front water outlet sensor removed and that hole welded up too. And while I had that out I cleaned up all the mess from leaking oil and antifreeze. While I had the cooling system out I started cleaning up the harness. I have a few more things to do with it before I de-pin and loom everything.

I did make a catch can and got it installed, I made the lines this

morning.

Few more bay shots. Still need to re make the hondata coil on plug harness and the alternator harness but I'm almost done with all the engine bay stuff.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking build man.. Keep it up..
Old 01-13-2019, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice & clean build!
Old 07-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

More updates. After forever I finally got my traction bar and got it installed.

A top shot of the traction bar, and I got my mac valve plumbed up.

I cut and made all my pieces for my coolant overflow.

All black

More blackness

Not pictured I've cleaned up and made some of the wiring along with making new grounds. Picked up and installed a larger 74mm throttle body. And the biggest thing I did was upgrade the ecu. I am running the car on the AEM INFINITY and epm now.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I spent all day at the dyno. They never got to make a full pull. I'm having a fuel system issue and in the graph below you can see all the lean spikes.

Overall I still should be happy. The car made 460hp on the gate (16lbs) and still had over 1000rpm left.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But I've got a bigger issue now.

So the oil filter was cut open and I have found a cup of glitter. But there is almost nothing in the oil pan. I'm hoping it's just from where the CSS was installed and they just didn't get the block clean. Obviously waxed the bearings but the crankshaft is fine. And I still have 95+ psi of oil pressure at idle so I'm kinda at a loss here.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I don't believe it's anything that I've done. But I found the source of the metal.

[url=https://postimages.org/][/url ]

Old 07-03-2019, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Already found another complete engine out of a 99 prelude with 70k miles. Paid more than I would have liked but it was somewhat local (4hr drive). Get it home and unloaded and open it up the following day and see this.

Spun the #4 rod bearing and destroyed that journal on the crank. Looks to be ran low on oil. The rest of the engine was spotless. No wear on the mains, the cam shafts look new and so do the rocker pads. Like brand new. So I got a good block but I really needed a crankshaft too. Luckily I've found one on eBay and I bought it. I hope it's in good shape as the seller said it was.

Now that ive caught my thread up over the past couple of months. I'm waiting on parts for a completely new setup. More updates to come.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry you lost that motor bro! Keep grinding !

Quick Reply: 94 Accord Wagon Build