All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Why Degree Camshafts

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (spun Vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spun Vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so If a d16 head is milled 0.020 in or .508mm, that means that .5 degree of advance should get you back around stock?

for instance my head is milled .020in and my block is decked .020in = a total of .040in so .040 in or 1.016mm 1 degree of advance will put you aprox back to stock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks I was right all along this is what threw me
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CHEETAH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

at the crank (not the cam gear) ... typical aftermarket camgear index marks are 2 cam degrees for every 1 crank degree. Lets say with a skunk2 gear then its 1/2 of 1 mark on the camgear (assuming each mark is 2 degrees at the crankshaft)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^^
wrong
Old 03-04-2007, 12:54 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (spun Vtec)

correct...which is why you'll notice I corrected/clarified what he said right after he posted it.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

BFTD - Did anyone do a write up?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why Degree Camshafts (Master of the Universe)

Is this a way tio degrre the camshafts without using a degree kit?

Originally posted by ITR #132

I had my head milled, block decked, and different thickness head gasket and heres what I did:
-turn the crank until the crank pulley lines up with the mark on cover and verified piston position
-line up cam gears and install timing belt
-loosen adjusting bolts on cam gears
-turn the cams to align holes in cams with holes in oil bar

It ends up that my cam gears is set at +4in, +4ex. (Its the same as 0in, 0ex on a stock unmolested motor)

Does that not work to set the cams where they are suppose to be? How will it affect timing overall?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Why Degree Camshafts (7rrivera7)

I think it is time for an article to really show how to degree in cams properly...and why.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why Degree Camshafts (Bisimoto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bisimoto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it is time for an article to really show how to degree in cams properly...and why. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Spun and I have the parts and equipment needed for this but it takes a lot of time and work to make a decent write-up on something like this. We hope to start a few new projects this winter and should have the oportunity then to take some photos and a rough draft if someone would like to assist with the editing end of the job.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Combustion Contraption)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Combustion Contraption &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For those really interested in learning PM member Mike Belben. I hope he doesnt get like, a thousand messages because of this endorsement, but he's got a real good grasp of the degreeing process, and makes some nifty hardware too. But yeah, PM him, i doubt he'll post in this thread.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just finished going through his website and all the pics he took of his engine building skillz as well as the tools/hardware he built. very knowledgable and astute to detail...you guys should visit his site and check out how much work and detail he goes through in machining a shortblock

the pics did it for me

http://www.newenglandhondarebuilders.com/
Old 11-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dropped the ball, bought a house, sledgehammered out my whole bathroom a few days later..

just keeping cam kits in stock is work enough for me at this point. xenocron and I are working together on this to free up some of my time.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike_belben@yahoo.com)

Mike's degreeing kit/fixtures are awesome! a one of a kind stand-up guy too!

very soon i'll be using this one in my build.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

clyde.. ur allowed to use it... haha

i know its good for display, i think mike wud understand if u dirty it a bit.. dont be shy lol
Old 11-30-2007, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (d15Beta)

LOL!

yeah, just had my stuff cleaned a bit then on we go put some grease dirt to the tools
Old 11-30-2007, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i stand corrected,

using mike's tools (it still sounds weird haha)
now with the newly cleaned parts/head

nothing will dirty ur tools lol..
no grease n grime..
Old 11-30-2007, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ef92b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ef92b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mike's degreeing kit/fixtures are awesome! a one of a kind stand-up guy too!

very soon i'll be using this one in my build. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hopefully, mine is on its way...Mike?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, it was shipped nov 28 along with 2 others
Old 12-02-2007, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike_belben@yahoo.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, it was shipped nov 28 along with 2 others</TD></TR></TABLE>

Got it yesterday

Now, how to use it...
Old 12-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

search user 1 2 N V on here, he's got a detailed writeup. then use whatever method your cam card suggests.. ie, peak lift, lobe center, @.050 or @ 1mm etc.

if you're building a fresh motor and want to check piston to valve clearance, use the dummy springs on one ex and one intake valve, lock VTEC by inserting the BB's behind the short rockers and reinstall them. within 10 degrees of TDC will be your closest contact point, zero the indicator on the valve you are checking and then push it open until it stops against the piston. the measurement on the dial is the piston to valve clearance.

you should run through the cam gear settings for clicking clearance first, then do the same for each valve and finally eliminate all cam gear settings that are below your minimum desired clearance. whats left is your range of cam gear movement.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont have the time at the moment to read this whole thread, but id like to degree my pro1's before i hit the dyno, but im curious as to if you can degree the cams in with the motor in the car?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike_belben@yahoo.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">search user 1 2 N V on here, he's got a detailed writeup. then use whatever method your cam card suggests.. ie, peak lift, lobe center, @.050 or @ 1mm etc. if you're building a fresh motor and want to check piston to valve clearance, use the dummy springs on one ex and one intake valve, lock VTEC by inserting the BB's behind the short rockers and reinstall them. within 10 degrees of TDC will be your closest contact point, zero the indicator on the valve you are checking and then push it open until it stops against the piston. the measurement on the dial is the piston to valve clearance.

you should run through the cam gear settings for clicking clearance first, then do the same for each valve and finally eliminate all cam gear settings that are below your minimum desired clearance. whats left is your range of cam gear movement. </TD></TR></TABLE>

good to see your still running around here mike.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killerpenguin21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont have the time at the moment to read this whole thread, but id like to degree my pro1's before i hit the dyno, but im curious as to if you can degree the cams in with the motor in the car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can degree in the car. its no different than on a motor stand with exception to turning the crank pulley.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1 2 NV)

hey dustin

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1 2 NV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its no different than on a motor stand with exception to turning the crank pulley. </TD></TR></TABLE>

now im setting up the degree wheel without using a pulley at all. an aluminum reducer goes in the center of the degree wheel to bush it down to a 14mm bolt and you just bind it with the pulley bolt so you can turn the motor over with a ratchet.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:20 AM

Default Re: (ef92b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ef92b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mike,

Do you send these out of usa to asia??

And what is the price for the whole kit shown to degree B-Series engine?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why Degree Camshafts (Bisimoto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bisimoto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it is time for an article to really show how to degree in cams properly...and why. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-06-2007, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chris2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Mike,

Do you send these out of usa to asia??

And what is the price for the whole kit shown to degree B-Series engine?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

sure, all the time. send me an email (same as screenname) with the details of what heads you will degree, whether you need a degree wheel or already have one, and what address. ill get a price back to you pretty quick.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got mine. Transaction went really well. Thanks Mike.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybrid_KJ)

Old 12-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Good to see you back on here Mike. I'll be getting a couple fixtures from you shortly.

Quick Reply: Why Degree Camshafts