All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

SS Autoworks CRX

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS Autoworks CRX

SS Work's 1989 CR-X EF7

"I'm a bit afraid of the expensive cars behind me, Driver Shunei Kawasaki said in a 2004 volume of Best Motoring. The "Roaring VTEC: Battle at 10,000 RPM" DVD featured some of the fastest Japanese-tuned imports of that time, including the SS Work's CR-X-a Honda that still holds the title of the fastest naturally-aspirated front-wheel drive car on the legendary Tsukuba Circuit. Kawasaki might have said that quote thinking that he was going to be over-powered that day. With the Esprit NSX and Spoon Sports Super Taikyu S2000 in Kawasaki's rearview mirror, a sense of fear was understandable. Either that or he spoke sarcastically, knowing that he was piloting the unstoppable SS Work's CR-X. His quiet confidence may have been lost in translation, because the CR-X not only won the battle that day; it never lost the lead once Kawasaki gained position.

The end result had other drivers baffled and amazed. This was a CR-X right? How could this old, awkward-looking EF7 dominate, making a little over 200hp? One of the other drivers had to ask, "Why was there such a gap there at the end?" Kawasaki smiled and took a deep breath. "It's the lightness!" Shunei says in excitement. "The car is simply very light! I mean, I could pass the (Spoon) S2000 from the outside at the hairpin with no problems. The CR-X was faster in any situation." A CR-X is not exactly considered a heavy vehicle by any means, and when someone off camera mentions that the car weighed-in at a mere 720kg (Just under 1,600lbs.), the competitors were shocked. "I had to pray before going into corners," Kawasaki says jokingly.

Even with DVDs like Best Motoring and Japanese publications readily available to us Americans, six years later we still have little knowledge of the famed CR-X from SS Work's. Its reputation definitely precedes itself, but the masses just don't understand why. When they get a rare glimpse of this light blue pearl-emblazoned powerhouse, many just scoff at it and point out the racing stripes or the incredibly aggressive aero enhancements. While it is questionable whether or not the racing stripes add any power, the aero is pure function. That, in conjunction with the reduced weight, helped propel this CR-X to a 59.1-second lap time at Tsukuba, an FF N/A record that it still proudly holds today. This CR-X is a true automotive marvel, so when we had a chance to get a hold of it, we jumped at the opportunity.

While many mysteries still exist in regards to SS Work's (like the owner's name), we've extracted as much information about the CR-X as possible. There has been much misinformation on the internet about the exact specifications, so SS Work's was kind enough to pass along the info. Translating it was the interesting part.

"I originally bought this CR-X brand new," The owner of SS Work's explains. "I thought the styling of it was cool. I started racing at local race tracks and was starting up SS Work's at the time, so I began to modify it heavily. I started in 1989 and have been making changes to it ever since."

Though the original ZC engine may have been competitive in its heyday, power became a priority as the years passed. A B-series swap was the upgrade of choice as it trumped the older ZC in every way. "I tried to swap to a (B-series) to get more power, but the engine position was so different. The new engine and transmission was so much heavier than the ZC, so I knew I would lose maneuverability after the conversion. To fix this, I made a new engine mount, and in the process, made the CR-X front mid-ship. It made the weight balance much better, and therefore the maneuverability was better."

The years of racing have made room for many different engine setups. It has been over twenty years and there have been definite advancements in technology and go-fast parts. The current setup is a custom-built B-series sporting SS Work's very own FCR carburetor kit. Cylinder head and valvetrain enhancements include TODA Racing's VTEC Killer cams, valve springs, and JUN titanium retainers. The head has also been ported and polished. The block has been upgraded with a B18C crankshaft and JUN high-compression pistons, rings, and connecting rods that bump the compression to 13.5:1. External bolt-ons are all SS Work's goods including, but not limited to, a custom fabricated 70mm racing special exhaust that connects to a 4-2-1 header, as well as a pair of slide-type cam sprockets and modified distributor. The transmission is heavily improved with an ORC clutch, close-ratio cross gear set, and OS Giken 1.5-way limited-slip differential.

A 230hp CR-X is definitely respectable, but like the Best Motoring video stated, the 720kg weight is what really makes this EF7 rip. Wild in appearance, the F1-style front spoiler and giant ARC rear wing (originally meant for a Lancer EVO III) are necessary to keep the featherweight vehicle on track. The majority of the pounds have been chopped down due to FRP replacements for major chassis parts like doors, front fenders, and hood. Inside the cockpit is nothing but bare bones necessities like a custom SS Work's roll cage for safety, Nardi steering wheel, and single Recaro SP-G seat. It's no wonder driver Shunei Kawasaki was praying every time he entered a turn; this CR-X is dangerously lightweight.

"When you make the car lightweight and make the engine high-powered, you will have a lack of traction in the front wheels as you accelerate. Wheel-spin will definitely be a problem, especially when you get out from tight turns. In order to avoid that problem, you need to go into and out of a turn fast," The owner of SS Work's explains. "Making the front tread wider, stiffening the chassis, and making the center of gravity lower will help the car get out of turns faster so that there's no more power left to make the wheels spin. On top of that, those changes will give you more traction in the rear. This creates a better balance when you brake, which equals less under-steer." Words of wisdom from a record breaking mind that focuses on every minute detail.

Giving the CR-X its wider tread is a pair of 15x8 Advan RGs. If you happen to be a wheel collector, just imagine how hard it would be nowadays to find a set of 4-lug, 15x8 discontinued RGs. Now you would think that a track-specialized Honda would have some crazy custom coilover setup, but the SS Work's car keeps it simple with Swift springs and Ennepetal (Known in the U.S. as Bilstein) shocks. Everything else, other than some Mugen and Cusco bushings, gets a little more complex with an array of custom SS Work's control arms and stabilizer links. Braking for such a light car is definitely something not to overlook and SS Work's has that covered as well with their own big brake kit that includes SS Work's 4-pot calipers, 300mm rotors, and a set of Seidoya GT600 brake pads made originally for the R32 Skyline Type M.

In the broader spectrum of things, you have to understand that not only does the SS Work's CR-X hold the N/A FF record at Tsukuba Circuit, its posted 59-second lap time puts it in the same realm as high horsepower Skylines, Evos, and other cars that would simply out-class the CR-X on paper. Fortunately for us Honda-lovers around the world and for people who generally love to root for the underdog, we don't live life on paper. That's why cars are taken out to the track and tested against others to see how they would do in a real world environment. Though this CR-X is heavily under-powered compared to most, in the real world, it's a quick little bastard and it will leave many in awe as it speeds by cars that might have double, or even triple the power. In the "Battle at 10,000 RPM" challenge and others like it, the SS Work's EF was out-running Super Taikyu competitors and tuned NSXs without breaking a sweat.

"Professional drivers always tell me that the car isn't much to look at, but it's very easy to drive."

Looks, in this instance, are an afterthought; the perfect combination of power, handling, and weight distribution make this "the baddest CR-X ever built". It has held that unofficial title for over a decade now and with SS Work's continuing to develop this CR-X; it doesn't look like the title will change hands any time soon.

Power
230hp@8,100RPM

Propulsion
Custom 1841cc B16B
SS Work's custom front
mid-ship engine mounts
Ported & polished cylinder head
TODA Racing VTEC Killer camshafts
TODA Racing valve springs
JUN titanium retainers
JUN Super connecting rods
JUN (Cosworth) forged
high-compression pistons
JUN piston rings
B18C crankshaft
SS Work's special rocker arm
SS Work's block brace/girdle
SS Work's slide-type cam gears
SS Work's FCR Special intake manifold
SS Work's "FCR Carburetors"
SS Work's stainless 70mm
Racing Special exhaust
SS Work's stainless 4-2-1 exhaust manifold
SS Work's distributor
Holly low pressure-type fuel pressure regulator
Holly low pressure-type fuel pump
NGK Iridium spark plugs
Nagai Denshi spark plug wires
SS Work's aluminum side-flow
type 50mm radiator
YS1 transmission
Aderia 5-speed cross gear set
ORC super light single clutch kit
OS Giken Superlock 1.5-way LSD
EG6 Civic driveshafts

Stance
Swift ID 60mm springs (12k front)
Ennepetal (Bilstein) shocks
Cusco carbon fiber rear shock tower bar
Mugen suspension bushings
Cusco suspension bushings
SS Work's pillow tension rods
SS Work's widened front lower control arms
SS Work's widened front upper control arms
SS Work's adjustable rear pillow arms
SS Work's adjustable upper pillow arms
SS Work's aluminum rigid stabilizer bushings
SS Work's pillow stabilizer links

Resistance
SS Work's 4-pot front brake calipers
SS Work's 300mm front brake rotors
Seidoya GT600 front brake pads
Seidoya SM400 rear brake pads
Earl's brake hoses

Wheels & Tires
15x8 Advan RG +25 offset (front)
225/50-15 Bridgestone Potenza
15x6.5 Rays TE-37 +35 offset (rear)
195/55-15 Bridgestone Potenza

Exterior
SS Work's light blue pearl paint w/GT line
SS Work's FRP hood
SS Work's FRP front fenders
SS Work's F1-look front spoiler
SS Work's rear diffuser
SS Work's FRP doors
SS Work's racing rear hatch
ARC DTM -Type rear wing (originally made for Mitsubishi EVOIII)
Mugen side skirts
SS Work's/Elf graphics

Interior
Recaro SP-G seat
SS Work's aluminum seat rail
SS Work's one-off aluminum roll cage
Nardi Classic 360mm steering wheel

Electronics
Nagai Denshi multi-mode meter
Omori mechanical water temperature gauge
Omori oil temperature gauge
Omori oil pressure gauge

http://youtu.be/QAEFaKA951c
http://youtu.be/11OymdXbfFw
http://youtu.be/AFI9ThEMfOY

As you can see in above videos, the stroked carb'd B16 SSA CRX can hold it's own around the circuit.

Last edited by crazydominicanman; 12-22-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SS Autoworks CRX

They also are using a "toda style" 4-2-1 header. Goes to say alot about the design.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am assuming that is a giant oil cooler infront of the rad. Those have to be the largest oil-cooler lines I have ever seen (on a B series), I wonder if they even run to a "sandwich" plate between the oil filter and block! This thing is sweet, I saw an article in Honda Tuning awile ago.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sure is! Every aspect of this vehicle means business...
Old 12-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love this car sooo much!!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 PM
RESIDENT

That things sounds so F'ing sweet.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This car is bad ***! I can only hope that my Civic can do this well on the track too!

-Chris
Old 12-22-2011, 04:40 PM
A Digital Frontier

Ive heard from a friend who lives in japan, that that fit is a turd. Retardedly put together.

It has a stock stepwagon bottom end (k24a) with a PRB head and tiny ITB's. Car apparently makes like 240 on a good day and usually runs like ****.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cyco_EF
This car is bad ***! I can only hope that my Civic can do this well on the track too!

-Chris
Get it weigh 1,600 lbs without you in it first then call me! Lol!!
Old 12-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirtyharryhatch
Ive heard from a friend who lives in japan, that that fit is a turd. Retardedly put together.

It has a stock stepwagon bottom end (k24a) with a PRB head and tiny ITB's. Car apparently makes like 240 on a good day and usually runs like ****.
Well you can definitely tell it's not running at it's full potential in the video just by listening to the motor and watching the car get romped on by the crx. That fit should have been running laps around the crx, if it was at it's full potential like the crx is.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:25 PM
A Digital Frontier

Originally Posted by crazydominicanman
Well you can definitely tell it's not running at it's full potential in the video just by listening to the motor and watching the car get romped on by the crx. That fit should have been running laps around the crx, if it was at it's full potential like the crx is.
Just goes to show you how oblivious most Japanese people are (when it comes to making power).

Apparently Jap guys don't build cars. Major shops like spoon, j's, mugen, etc... Do it for them.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Just goes to show you how oblivious most Japanese people are (when it comes to making power).

Apparently Jap guys don't build cars. Major shops like spoon, j's, mugen, etc... Do it for them.
Ya know.. after reading this.. my respect for you went down about 30%.

The reason why they didn't make power in the same light as what you would want to imagine is because they understood that the CRX's purpose (as well as most of their other setups that are used in BMI) is to have a balance of power, control, speed, and agility. You can't have all of one and think that all of the rest can be put into play without throwing the whole thing completely off. Its almost like I see exactly why the Japanese drivers and companies only lasted the first 10 years of Honda's chronology of modifying in America. the companies that you so eloquently mentioned were originally full race teams that catered to the individual in japan for their use on the circuit, not some silly quarter mile contest that typical American country boys use as a measuring stick as to what makes a car go "fast". Even the average Japanese owner (who does assemble their own engines quite a bit btw), uses the parts from those companies as well as their advice to use in the same kind of racing that they do. Only when the scene came to America did the obsession with top end power, dyno graphs, and 1/4 mile times come into play.

Don't get me wrong, Hondas modified in America had their place teaching others as well, by utilizing the same tactics that American muscle used over the years to make a stronger engine to take more abuse than its original intention. (From machining tactics to sleeving companies, even Americans gave credit to Japanese shops and engineers for creating highly flowing CFM cylinder heads and the elaborate use of F1 styled engine management control, while they made it stronger to do more than what even Honda intended).. Even in Detroit they admit they never would have incorporated methods that HKS, SPoon, Apex'i and others started years before.

But to say that some "Jap" kid doesn't build their engines and just send them to these companies is not only incorrect, but insulting. These companies make power for engines for specific purposes. (Just talk with Top Secret's "Smoky" Nagata of his V12 twin turbo'd supra for instance), not just because they felt BIG POWER was always needed.) As one affiliated with this minority group and being in the Honda scene alone since 1994, honestly, that's just a fuked up thing to say. So, now I'm less knowledgeable because I have the resources to not have to assembly my engines from the ground up anymore by myself?

Please. Stop being so one-dimensional and 1/4 mile oriented. I understand the fact that everyone has an opinion and is free to express it, but wow. That could have been expressed with a bit more intelligence. I know you're smarter than that.. I've seen your posts. Don't degrade yourself to this level any further by making closed-minded statements like this.

The SS-Autoworks CRX was (and still is) a machine that was ahead of its time at a time where the K-series engine started to take over, and basically showed that the B-series, in the right chassis, can be amazing to use even against the "all-powerful" K. As a time attacker, I find it funny that this car can be dismissed against the J's racing Fit (which does do well, I rode in it in '09), just because the engine platform is different. That's like saying that Tim Lynch's Corvette was just too slow against something similar with a LS9 vs an LS1

Last edited by TheShodan; 12-24-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Overall balance of everything is the mindset behind many big japanese tuning houses as mentioned. Watch some old BMI where you see Spoon's owner explaining the overall balance goal behind his builds like the B18C spoon eg hatch, to the newer k20 swapped ek hatch. Seeker, j's racing, re-a, top fuel, asm, espirit, etc all follow this standard. It has helped me on my builds tremendously in not just focusing on one thing but rather sourcing everything needed to make it all work together in harmony.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for amazing..I can only imagine a built stroked K24 base in this shell!
Old 12-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at least a spoon s 2000 I had a great start in the beginning 1 of the videos lol it also has to do with a great driver behind the wheel .
But still no doubt that's crx is amazing
Old 12-25-2011, 10:05 PM
A Digital Frontier

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Ya know.. after reading this.. my respect for you went down about 30%.

The reason why they didn't make power in the same light as what you would want to imagine is because they understood that the CRX's purpose (as well as most of their other setups that are used in BMI) is to have a balance of power, control, speed, and agility. You can't have all of one and think that all of the rest can be put into play without throwing the whole thing completely off. Its almost like I see exactly why the Japanese drivers and companies only lasted the first 10 years of Honda's chronology of modifying in America. the companies that you so eloquently mentioned were originally full race teams that catered to the individual in japan for their use on the circuit, not some silly quarter mile contest that typical American country boys use as a measuring stick as to what makes a car go "fast". Even the average Japanese owner (who does assemble their own engines quite a bit btw), uses the parts from those companies as well as their advice to use in the same kind of racing that they do. Only when the scene came to America did the obsession with top end power, dyno graphs, and 1/4 mile times come into play.

Don't get me wrong, Hondas modified in America had their place teaching others as well, by utilizing the same tactics that American muscle used over the years to make a stronger engine to take more abuse than its original intention. (From machining tactics to sleeving companies, even Americans gave credit to Japanese shops and engineers for creating highly flowing CFM cylinder heads and the elaborate use of F1 styled engine management control, while they made it stronger to do more than what even Honda intended).. Even in Detroit they admit they never would have incorporated methods that HKS, SPoon, Apex'i and others started years before.

But to say that some "Jap" kid doesn't build their engines and just send them to these companies is not only incorrect, but insulting. These companies make power for engines for specific purposes. (Just talk with Top Secret's "Smoky" Nagata of his V12 twin turbo'd supra for instance), not just because they felt BIG POWER was always needed.) As one affiliated with this minority group and being in the Honda scene alone since 1994, honestly, that's just a fuked up thing to say. So, now I'm less knowledgeable because I have the resources to not have to assembly my engines from the ground up anymore by myself?

Please. Stop being so one-dimensional and 1/4 mile oriented. I understand the fact that everyone has an opinion and is free to express it, but wow. That could have been expressed with a bit more intelligence. I know you're smarter than that.. I've seen your posts. Don't degrade yourself to this level any further by making closed-minded statements like this.

The SS-Autoworks CRX was (and still is) a machine that was ahead of its time at a time where the K-series engine started to take over, and basically showed that the B-series, in the right chassis, can be amazing to use even against the "all-powerful" K. As a time attacker, I find it funny that this car can be dismissed against the J's racing Fit (which does do well, I rode in it in '09), just because the engine platform is different. That's like saying that Tim Lynch's Corvette was just too slow against something similar with a LS9 vs an LS1
Not that serious. Like i stated before, people in japan do not build cars. They have shops like mugen, spoon, j's, etc built it for them. People in japan barely have enough room to own 1 car what makes you think they have enough room to own several cars and build one in the process? Not likely. As for them not making power its the truth. Yet to see a fast high HP civic built up in japan. They sure as hell will build High HP supra's and Skylines but not a civic? Hmmm. In the U.S we have both, fast circuit Honda's and Fast drag Honda's. I know a handful of people making similar power to this car with their daily drivers, and with builds ALOT less complicated. Can't see whats so impressive about this car? Not going to acknowledge anything else you stated because it is irrelevant, invalid and just blabber. P.S here's a tissue.

Last edited by dirtyharryhatch; 12-25-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe because its too long to read , lol
Old 12-26-2011, 07:28 AM

Not that serious. Like i stated before, people in japan do not build cars. They have shops like mugen, spoon, j's, etc built it for them. People in japan barely have enough room to own 1 car what makes you think they have enough room to own several cars and build one in the process? Not likely. As for them not making power its the truth. Yet to see a fast high HP civic built up in japan. They sure as hell will build High HP supra's and Skylines but not a civic? Hmmm. In the U.S we have both, fast circuit Honda's and Fast drag Honda's. I know a handful of people making similar power to this car with their daily drivers, and with builds ALOT less complicated. Can't see whats so impressive about this car? Not going to acknowledge anything else you stated because it is irrelevant, invalid and just blabber. P.S here's a tissue.
And they wonder why we're falling behind the rest of the world in education... Believe what you will. Live there. race there. then we can talk serious. (you missed that part what what's considered fast).

I think ek4serge is right. Anything more than a paragraph and he goes into an epileptic seizure because there actually may be a discussion in it.. Dirty probably considers the rest irrelevant because he can't spell it.. But its ok. He just needs to work it out, that's all.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:55 AM
A Digital Frontier

Cool ninja edit bro. Apparently you can't compute what my first statement even meant. The rest is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with anything i stated previously. Just blabber about my comment being insulting. Im not here to do anything but state my opinion on the matter. That's all. Carry on.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Cool ninja edit bro. Apparently you can't compute what my first statement even meant. The rest is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with anything i stated previously. Just blabber about my comment being insulting. Im not here to do anything but state my opinion on the matter. That's all. Carry on.
Again, your limited opinion, but your opinion nonetheless. And yes, it was insulting. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take it easy ladies!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for posting, this car is a legend and has inspired tons of people to go racing with Hondas.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Serves to prove the biggest advantage us Honda heads have, power to weight ratio.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7JbDFgS0Q

video speaks itself !!
12:38 at the video (an average performance car from u.s.)
only top setup eg6 was good for the king.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by todahead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7JbDFgS0Q

video speaks itself !!
12:38 at the video (an average performance car from u.s.)
only top setup eg6 was good for the king.
One of my all time favorite videos. Keiichi Tsuchiya's impression on vehicles is golden, his experience is second to none. Really great having him here for the second american touge. Hopefully they do a third and we can impress him more.