Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Square Port vs Normal Port (Any info in difference in power or better flowing?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (Aquafina)

short rods load the ports more than long rods... piston acceleration away from TDC is whats important i think
Old 03-21-2008, 02:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (JDogg)

JAY-POOP
Old 03-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (Master of the Universe)

I have only seen people loose power when switching from normal to square ported heads in allmotor app's. The peak power didnt change much but the whole powerband up to peak lost like 12whp on that app. it was a 95x85 b series and done on th same dyno same day( sort of ,about 13hr later lol) I belive it was a pr3 head.
Larry from Endyn did som squar ex ports , not sur if it helped. I also remember Jerry from IB/Jerrybuilt had one done back in 03- or 04ish I think. That's when thy started showing up on the net.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

I sort of doubt Larry would share anything on the exhaust side. He seems to be really good with the exhaust side so why give any info he has to his competitors?
Old 03-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Aquafina)

subscribed... good discussion here!
Old 03-23-2008, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, if the square stuff flows better, im going to convert all my plumbing @ home to square piping!
Old 03-23-2008, 03:40 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (Tbone)

I agree with Tom,I have never seen a screwed oops i mean squared up port make more power than a stock B16 head.
About 3 years ago a friend of mine wanted try a square port deal.And I did a fancy B16 head .I even helped taper the runners on a JG manifold so it would have SOME vacuum.We dynoed his head on a 2.2 and it did OK.In the 250,s i think.Then we tried my head with the same cams on the same motor and it made 27 more HP.
No brag,Just fact

Modified by racecar chassis builder at 4:47 PM 3/23/2008
Old 03-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Combustion Contraption)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Combustion Contraption &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, if the square stuff flows better, im going to convert all my plumbing @ home to square piping!</TD></TR></TABLE>

that was awsome!hahaha

that square port stuff runs like a dog with fleas
Old 03-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (HEAD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HEAD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that was awsome!hahaha

that square port stuff runs like a dog with fleas</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol
Old 03-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mar778c)

for ***** and giggles. this was a long time ago and me just messing around.
d16z6 head

note the lack or grinder control,lack of consistency,beat up guides, likely proximity to water jackets and so on.....

something about a certain percentage of valve size by apex of short turn and taper from there on out.

Modified by marcin at 3:22 AM 3/24/2008
Old 03-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (b20vtech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20vtech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't know if there are advantage but we pay 2,400 bucks for this Square Port head from Alaniz </TD></TR></TABLE>

So what does this type of head flow like?
Old 03-23-2008, 07:35 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (2point6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So what does this type of head flow like?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not even close to your Vance & Hines head.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as it concerns most of us, square ports afford the potential for much more bulk flow than our engines can generate while maintaining a healthy velocity. it costs us valuable scavenging on valve overlap, which would increase volumetric efficiency.

Larry (Endyn), Randy (RMF), and perhaps others have shown great benefits to shrinking the exhaust ports and effectively extending them with the proper manifolding to keep velocity and acceleration as high as possible, and making the ports just as large as is necessary.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:15 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (slofu)

I really have to think that Honda has a clue when it comes to port design.When Honda came out with the B series VTEC head they took a huge jump.Like Apple and the Iphone.And if they thought that square ports where better then they would have square ports. Also I have never ever seen a factory or after market 4 valve head with square ports. Two valve V8,s and V6,s yes .But never a 4 valve.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:36 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (racecar chassis builder)

Here is something cool about the zo6.Click on the pics and it tells you all about it.
http://www.popularhotrodding.c....html
Old 03-24-2008, 07:04 AM

Let me just say that honda ports aren't round as people have stated they are an oval layed on it's side at the entries.Nowhere is the port truely round.They have flat floors and the gsr is pretty damn square at the port divider and it has flat outside walls inside the port,just the entry is rounded off.From the factory it does exactly what everybody says is bad,rounded(port entry) to square(mid port) to rounded(bowls) so you can't really say it doesn't work imo.

Also look at the b16 head it's 2 D ports.

If you want to see a round honda int port look at the b16 Randy modified into 8 round ports.

Modified by Fkned at 4:05 PM 3/24/2008
Old 03-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (slofu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slofu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as far as it concerns most of us, square ports afford the potential for much more bulk flow than our engines can generate while maintaining a healthy velocity. it costs us valuable scavenging on valve overlap, which would increase volumetric efficiency. </TD></TR></TABLE>

what??
Old 03-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So what does this type of head flow like?</TD></TR></TABLE>

u'll have to contact Elias for that
Old 03-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racecar chassis builder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really have to think that Honda has a clue when it comes to port design.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda Built a stock port for a stock engine..............
Old 03-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (JDogg)

Years ago I spoke to Jerry when he was at Import Builders and he said It only works with ITB's. He tried it on the JG Edelbroke mani square ported(Not many manifolds were on the market then) and it ran horrible. Many records have been broken with more and more R&D since then, and I'm sure that port design had something to do with it on radical high compression stroker motors.

Then again I'm just regurgitating what I've already been told by one person alone.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (Fkned)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fkned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me just say that honda ports aren't round as people have stated they are an oval layed on it's side at the entries.Nowhere is the port truely round.They have flat floors and the gsr is pretty damn square at the port divider and it has flat outside walls inside the port,just the entry is rounded off.From the factory it does exactly what everybody says is bad,rounded(port entry) to square(mid port) to rounded(bowls) so you can't really say it doesn't work imo
Modified by Fkned at 4:05 PM 3/24/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

your moms friend is round...But that's ok.I like'm old,loose and fat

Modified by HEAD at 2:11 PM 3/26/2008
Old 03-26-2008, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (HEAD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HEAD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like'm old,loose and fat </TD></TR></TABLE>
I always wondered if that was the case.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (Fkned)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fkned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also look at the b16 head it's 2 D ports.</TD></TR></TABLE>A "D" is the best shape for air taking a turn...
Old 03-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (TrippinBull)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TrippinBull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A "D" is the best shape for air taking a turn...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Always? In ever single cylinder head? 2v/4v/5v per cylinder? Hemi, wedge head, bathtub chamber? every engine size? All camshaft lifts like a D shape?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Square Port vs Normal Port (Combustion Contraption)

i would assume with the square port the intake manifold restricts flow.
maybe 2 throttle bodies or one massive ford oval throttle bodie might help.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tbone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have only seen people loose power when switching from normal to square ported heads in allmotor app's. The peak power didnt change much but the whole powerband up to peak lost like 12whp on that app. it was a 95x85 b series and done on th same dyno same day( sort of ,about 13hr later lol) I belive it was a pr3 head.
Larry from Endyn did som squar ex ports , not sur if it helped. I also remember Jerry from IB/Jerrybuilt had one done back in 03- or 04ish I think. That's when thy started showing up on the net.</TD></TR></TABLE>

did they use the same itb's or intake manifold on both heads?

Quick Reply: Square Port vs Normal Port (Any info in difference in power or better flowing?)