All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

The Shodan & Project "SHE"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon7 Re: The Shodan & Project "SHE"?

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Yes, we did use the main studs with a slight line hone. that's when we balanced the whole assembly
Ok cool, i'm going to have a good look through your EM1 to build when i chance.

Good work though !!! i'm loving the powder coating.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Shodan & Project "SHE"?

Very nice looking exhaust
Old 10-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow amazing build. I didnt know chemistry had to do with all aspects. I thought it school i was just learning the ideal gas law just because! Good luck with the rest of the build
Old 10-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice! saw alot of your posts helping people. never knew you had a build going on. def gonna watch this one. GL man!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

UPDATE: Man is my friend old school. He still had a plastic ICEMAN intake from the late 90's on there, and there's a huge bottleneck created when trying to fit this on the 70mm TB. So I happen to still have my older AEM V1 cold air to see if it will fit. If not, then we'll cut it, and put a velocity stack and screen instead.

EEEK!!! It actually went from a 3" intake all the way down to almost 2.2" so it can stick into the stock TB coupler. We have since replaced this.

Attempting to see about the AEM CAI we had. Probably will cut for a Velocity stack

Here are pics of the Engine in-car. Still need to install the header and A/C lines back up, but its such a mess in there, I'm not sure where to begin on engine bay cleanup.

Mishimoto Radiator

Installed fuel Pressure gauge on the AEM Rail

And... here we go

Almost ready

That's right, dammit.. no Canadian-made chassis here..

A WORK in progress for sure on the outside.

I've loaded up the PFC program into the computer and waiting on Ron to bring his ECU so we can get it rolling.

A walk around of the engine bay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Ko0LRTKmY

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-05-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

funny thing is the canadian chassis resist rust much better than the jap made ones. heh
Old 10-03-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by welfarepc
funny thing is the canadian chassis resist rust much better than the jap made ones. heh
Yeah. it is funny. Because even executives didn't believe that Americans pass down their cars as much as they do, nor the fact that salt is used in over half the country.

The sealant and paint process was nicer with the Canadian versions. But I thought it interesting to see a single owner Japanese chassis from 1995.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:04 PM
N/A
Purpose Built

Sure is
Old 10-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI,

Just went thru the entire post again. Simply amazing project love it. Wish we had guys with even a quarter of the knowledge here in India.

Jignesh
Old 10-04-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by viperjng
HI,

Just went thru the entire post again. Simply amazing project love it. Wish we had guys with even a quarter of the knowledge here in India.

Jignesh
Thanks again. If it wasn't for the support of some great people, it wouldn't have happened. But let's not count the chickens before they hatch.. This still has to fire today.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice build bro!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lovin' the build Sho-Dawg, read it in full and it was insightful and thorough as always. Now lets hear some good news! Does the Foe-Doe-Dragon breathe fire yet?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by DC-2uned
Lovin' the build Sho-Dawg, read it in full and it was insightful and thorough as always. Now lets hear some good news! Does the Foe-Doe-Dragon breathe fire yet?
I'm pleased to announce that PROJECT SHE RUNS!!!! *Edit* 11.12.11 - Changed video to one with a better recording

http://youtu.be/Q0yMdVOLkBM

I was on may way home from the lab, when Andy of Autowerks Motorsport called me to help load the software into the Power FC so that he could configure a suitable base map. After first arriving, I loaded the map that came from Project Akira (similar timing and fuel specs) into the FC, but we couldn't get the engine to fire after about 3 attempts. We then found that DJT did a bunk job of wiring his distributor up (using Butt-connectors of all things), so Andy resoldered, and I then got the engine to fire. We then reset base timing since its a bit different with LS/VTEC, but was very happy to get idle down to about 870rpms and the got the injectors to really clean up.

I must say honestly, that I LOVE the RDX injectors.. Smooth, easy to integrate, just nice all around. IF you have an aftermarket fuel rail like the AEM rail that we had, there's no need to use the metal clips that keep the injectors in place. Those are for those using a stock fuel rail. Ron already had an AEM rail (popular at the time) and regulator, so they just seated in like any other aftermarket rail with aftermarket/OEM injectors.

Andy got the V1 AEM Cold Air to work and fit (I dunno how exactly, but I'll have more detail later) and he has a 3" K&N Filter with the Filter "baggy" on it as well. Luckily this is no longer a true Daily, but Ron is considering getting the screen filter that helps prevent hydrolocking in the future. We'd have to cut the intake into 2 pieces, but its should work when the time comes.

The exhaust system from the catalytic converter on is complete garbage, and the header at the collector slightly rattles, but that's just until we get time next week to get the exhaust system on. Meanwhile he's going through shakedown and break in. He also had a lot of old gas it in it (I think it was 87OCT to boot!! EEK!), so luckily, during break in, he'll be driving slow, we've limited him in rpm redline, and breaking in his clutch at the same time. I suggested about just draining the tank into a nice gas can and putting it in the family van, but we'll see. I just don't want him to detonate.

The engine bay wiring is organized, but really could use a slight tuck, cleanup, and re-solder of some old components. (Remember, this was the original car driven daily for over 15 years.. its due for a bit more TLC). But we should be ready in time .

I know its not over yet, but knock-on-wood, things should perform smoothly for the tune at the end of the month.

Last edited by TheShodan; 11-18-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work Mac ! ! Its always a great feeling starting a fresh build up . So what break in method are you using ?

BTW, is that you with that AEM CIA in your hands ?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by rich7777
Nice work Mac ! ! Its always a great feeling starting a fresh build up . So what break in method are you using ?

BTW, is that you with that AEM CIA in your hands ?

Just the old fashioned 500-600 mile break-in method, since he has a new clutch to break in as well. (Very little freeway, off-throttle deceleration, etc).

Maybe its me..
Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Just the old fashioned 500-600 mile break-in method, since he has a new clutch to break in as well. (Very little freeway, off-throttle deceleration, etc).

Maybe its me..
Got ya.. I prefer that way to be honest. If there is a problem (not saying there is) then its better to catch it at 3000-4000 rpm than 8500 rpm.

If that is you then you sure look nothing like i pictured you to look lol. Saying that i always try to put a face on everyone who i deal with over the net... and of course they never look like i pictured them to.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like to picture Mac as a mischevious badger....

Hey Mac! Build is lookin buddy. Home stretch...
Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to hear she runs Mac, impeccable workmanship and tuning as always. Cant wait to see what kind of #'s you get out of her when the real tuning is done! Best of luck buddy.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by DC-2uned
Glad to hear she runs Mac, impeccable workmanship and tuning as always. Cant wait to see what kind of #'s you get out of her when the real tuning is done! Best of luck buddy.
Most appreciated, thank you. Since he's changed his fuel from 87OCT to 93OCT (it was the old fuel that was in the B16.. Hey, times were tough for everyone, so he ran 87 on the stock motor for a while before the build.)

Looks like I've got a surprise for everyone end of next week in the way of exhaust.. We decided not to go with the GReddy Ti-C... so stay "tuned"... MUUAHAHAHAHA...HA..

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-07-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:50 PM

Hoka ni nani desu ka?!?!?

HONTOO?!?! Kore ga, NANI? Mada, GReddy zya nai ne!!

But its not over yet. This is the tip of the iceberg for this 70mm MEGAPOWER R.

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-21-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:06 PM

So, I get this exhaust back from some special treatment. And no, it didn't involve anything with regard to a hardware store or spray can.

High Heat Thermal Black Coating

Installation will commence this weekend.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Lookin real nice...
Old 10-22-2011, 12:14 PM

Well, the exhaust is on, and both Andy N, myself and others LOVE the sound of it, and the fact that it uncorks so much power. And it looks SO fantastic in Black. However, Ron, in his older age, HATES the drone, and has proceeded to put the included Silencer in the in the tip. He'll need to remove it during tuning, but with the silencer on, it actually sounds more "buzzy", than without it. As an open exhaust, the note is very low deep, and throaty. I'll get videos of the silencer on and off as soon as I can before tune day scheduled for Nov. 12, and you guys can judge for yourself.

*EDIT* 10.24.11

Interesting what a week does to a person when he sees the power potential of an exhaust. He had forgotten to mention that in the car he removed all Sound deadening material on the floor, which significantly increases the noise resonance of the exhaust in the car. He did notice that the car picked up a large amount of torque, even before tuning, so now he's completely happy with it. Understanding that, with a bit of open exhaust energy, comes more power and torque.

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-24-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:02 AM

3 days and counting...... dun dun dunnnnnnn.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:30 PM

Whelp. After almost a year of waiting, we got the dyno done. We got 201whp and 134ft/lbs of torque after about 3 hours, including partial tuning.
Yoshio felt that with better outside temps and more time next year, he could attack the setup with the cam gears more. But for now, he kept them to the same settings as before.

What did we learn?
1) We found that the car was just not staying cool, as after a while, even after multiple runs it would get hot. At first we thought it was perhaps it was just the radiator fan, but it may also be the *gulp*, Mishimoto radiator itself. on a 45* day at 80mph, was seeing 195* (not bad), but with My Koyo Rad on Project Akira, I was seeing only 186*. And we drove at the same time going to and from Japanese Automotive in both cars. (We had 2-way radios to communicate and compare temp readings). Both cars have A/C, and Power steering. So we're trying to attack that cooling issue next. More than likely we'll start off with a higher CFM Zirgo fan and go from there. Worse case scenario, we get a Koyo Rad and go from there.

2) Guys, with all the power that we all try to achieve, don't forget about the little things that wear over years from ownership (whether you're the primary or subsequent owner). I'm not just talking about the engine mechanical items like hoses, fluids and filters. I'm talking about wheel bearings, calipers, brake lines and such. Ron needed to replace all four wheel bearings (something even I may need to address on my own projects). Try to address these before dumping your every penny on power-adders alone.

Once again we were at Japanese Automotive!!! thanks again Yoshio!!

Yoshio being meticulous as usual.

The owner of Project SHE.. waiting in anticipation

Here's a pic again of the engine layout

On the dyno ready for tune.

What's this? An R33 Skyline he's working on?

Before getting into the dyno itself, Yoshio calibrated the RDX injectors with the Power FC by doing a load rpm test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ-NB_xX9ko

After a bit of that, we finally did a couple of runs. I only have the dyno of one of the early runs as Yoshio must e-mail the other result.

Best run. Car was at 8500rpms. We felt that power was falling after that.

http://youtu.be/pNk8c96kSiU

Rear angle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy3ftJEMtRU

Thanks again Yoshio, Brian@Skunk2, Autowerks, and Ron, for allowing me to have this opportunity.

Last edited by TheShodan; 11-14-2011 at 07:00 AM.

Quick Reply: The Shodan & Project "SHE"?